U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:07 AM

89 posts, read 275,374 times

Advertisements

I do have another question on Raleigh....how long does the snow fall in winter? Im hoping its not from late October or November til March and April like it is here in Michigan. And how much does it normally snow on an average year/what months? Ive googled it and 5 different sites all have totally different answers. Most say its only in January and just a few inches (4-8) on average but others said 20 inches and it lasts for 4 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 AM

414 posts, read 1,132,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefrontgirl View Post
I do have another question on Raleigh....how long does the snow fall in winter? Im hoping its not from late October or November til March and April like it is here in Michigan. And how much does it normally snow on an average year/what months? Ive googled it and 5 different sites all have totally different answers. Most say its only in January and just a few inches (4-8) on average but others said 20 inches and it lasts for 4 months.
Snow? What's that? LOL! As a native, we don't have the snow you are used to. We might get a few flakes here and there, but it rarely sticks. We have more problems with ice and that happens once or twice a year. Believe me, our winters are very pleasant overall.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM

11,558 posts, read 17,938,872 times
Quote:
Don't hold your breath for snow at all. While it can happen, it's more of an "event" than it is a regular occurence. Let's put it this way: The city is not well prepared for snow because it just doesn't happen that much. When it does snow, everything shuts down and everyone stays at home. The months that it is most likely to occur are January and February. But, then again, you can also get days in the 70's any month of the Winter.

October is glorious. November can also be quite nice with some cool days.

Expect dafodils in February with a variety of Spring flowers showing up from then until early April. Some grasses go brown for the Winter while others stay green year round. Since NC has a lot of evergreens, it's never fully "dead brown" like the upper midwest. The Winter is also typically very sunny with precipitation lighter in the Winter than other seasons. Many days in the Winter will feel like Northern California/Bay area Winter days. Other days will be more extreme when cold fronts move down to NC from Canada. Still, other winter days will feel like Florida in the Winter. That warm/mild/cold variation will see-saw for a few months in the dead of Winter.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,457,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Don't hold your breath for snow at all. While it can happen, it's more of an "event" than it is a regular occurence.
Agreed! While I know snow could happen, in the three years I have lived in Raleigh I have only experience one "dusting" of snow in all that time and on that occasion it was all but gone by noon.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 PM

YAY! im moving to a normal nice place like Im used to from California!!!!
I like snow, but OMG here in michigan its a good 5 months straight, nonstop,
and its ALOT. Im talking 14+ inches and thats not a total for the season, thats
just a day! I CANT WAIT FOR THE MOVE!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:37 PM

Talking Abnormal People lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout View Post
The summers are long and hot (humid too). Expect lots of sunny skies!

Starbucks is all over the Triangle area. At last count Raleigh has 19 of them.

You will find a church for practically any denomination here, including "normal" Baptist (Are there abnormal Baptists in MI?). Just kidding!

You are going to love the Triangle area!

lol I wouldnt call them abnormal but we have mostly what they call "reformed christian churches" that are very old testament. They dont watch or own TVs, stereos, only old hymnal music. Im not bashing any part of the bible, Im a christian but I LOVE movies, tv, and every style of music out there! Im not giving up coffee just becuz its bad for me (this is the only time I will admit its bad for me) People are just very "different" here in my part of Michigan. If you talk current events they are clueless, becuz they dont read the paper or watch news or listen in their cars. I feel like I stepped into the movie "The Village" and these people are "those which we do not speak of" haha Sorry but it fits!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:20 PM

135 posts, read 356,676 times
Default i'll trade snow for bugs anytime!

Quote:
YAY! im moving to a normal nice place like Im used to from California!!!!
I like snow, but OMG here in michigan its a good 5 months straight, nonstop,
and its ALOT. Im talking 14+ inches and thats not a total for the season, thats
just a day! I CANT WAIT FOR THE MOVE!!!
We're moving to Raleigh in September also AND from Sacramento as well. We moved to Reno last year and OMG it's truly awful. It snowed on us last weekend while driving down 80. Winter can start in november and last until may. If I ever see a snowflake again it'll be too soon. It's so cold up here in the winter and so hot in the summer that our utility bills are out of control.

btw- the roach thing is true. we had them in louisiana...so gross. just follow the friendly advice from all the helpful locals or capture them under your starbucks cup

Old 05-28-2008, 03:01 PM

551 posts, read 2,067,953 times
A fellow addict here. No problem finding a 'Bucks.
Starbucks Store Locator
Looks like 38 in the Raleigh/Cary area. I found a new one today.

Everyone has already said... hot sunny humid summers, rare snow in the winter (but cool enough to know it's winter), gorgeous spring and fall. Bugs are plentiful but manageable with an Orkin contract.

As for churches, I've got to say... My husband and I come from very different religious backgrounds and we have successfully found a church home. We have lots of church-going friends, and the range of churches/houses of worship is just incredible. Even within religions, within denominations, there is a wide range of options available to you. Be patient and try lots of places, and you'll find a great fit.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,527,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl75 View Post
We're moving to Raleigh in September also AND from Sacramento as well. We moved to Reno last year and OMG it's truly awful. It snowed on us last weekend while driving down 80. Winter can start in november and last until may. If I ever see a snowflake again it'll be too soon. It's so cold up here in the winter and so hot in the summer that our utility bills are out of control.

btw- the roach thing is true. we had them in louisiana...so gross. just follow the friendly advice from all the helpful locals or capture them under your starbucks cup
We had not only roaches, but rats, in New Orleans. Moved when we found rat turds on the bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary