Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 PM

546 posts, read 1,674,527 times

Advertisements

I miss new England style Chinese food. Especially the duck sauce. And I had no idea about the scorpion bowl was a New England thing. /mourn

I'd love to know if anyone ever finds a chinese place similiar to New England fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 01:45 PM

245 posts, read 807,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBoy919 View Post
Why would you put god's name in front of an alcholic drink ??
All we were talking about is food
Geez, I was raised Catholic, so I had my first introduction to alcohol in God's own house. Didn't mean to offend.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,098,900 times
The name "pupu" just turns me off to this dish.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:59 PM

33 posts, read 111,253 times
Default NE chinese food

we have been here for almost 4 years and haven't found a good chinese place like we had in Mass. I have heard of a place in durham on hillsborough road called shanghai express from my doc. He was from springfield and has been here many years and he feels that is the best he's had. Let us know if you find a place like we had up north in the triangle.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:03 AM

233 posts, read 858,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
I miss new England style Chinese food. Especially the duck sauce. And I had no idea about the scorpion bowl was a New England thing. /mourn

I'd love to know if anyone ever finds a chinese place similiar to New England fare.
If you like shrimp with lobster sauce, the way you ever got it in Mass., don't order it down here. It's a totally different dish, its a runny white sauce, almost looks like egg whites 1/2 cooked.

I miss good shrimp & lobster sauce... the best used to be from a place on Moody St in Waltham, Tiki House.

I've been here for 11 years and would trade southern bbq for some good polynesian-chinese anyday! I remember Aku-Aku, how 'bout Weylu's even. There was another great place to get Scorpion Bowls, it was a big chinese restaurant at the end of Rt.2 as you came into Cambridge, it was on the right. They even had a late-night buffet open!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:05 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,694,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post
If you like shrimp with lobster sauce, the way you ever got it in Mass., don't order it down here. It's a totally different dish, its a runny white sauce, almost looks like egg whites 1/2 cooked.

I miss good shrimp & lobster sauce... the best used to be from a place on Moody St in Waltham, Tiki House.

I've been here for 11 years and would trade southern bbq for some good polynesian-chinese anyday! I remember Aku-Aku, how 'bout Weylu's even. There was another great place to get Scorpion Bowls, it was a big chinese restaurant at the end of Rt.2 as you came into Cambridge, it was on the right. They even had a late-night buffet open!

It's not just the sauce - it's the seafood! The seafood caught local (and I mean like lobster and such that up in NE is fresh), might be fresh down here but the difference is the lobster in the warmer salt water of NC than the cold waters of NE. I miss that!

Scorpion bowls - wow what a memory LOL. There were some great Chinese restaurants up in NH - Asia and The Dynasty - well-known for their scorpion bowls and pu-pu platters.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:17 PM

84 posts, read 187,620 times
Anywhere around raleigh that has a good scorpion bowl?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:22 PM

835 posts, read 2,871,063 times
I've heard rave reviews about Panda King here in WF next to Harris Teeter.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,153,992 times
Just what is a scorpion bowl???

Vicki

Old 07-07-2008, 08:04 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,694,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Just what is a scorpion bowl???

Vicki
A highly potent alcoholic drink made of several liquers and juice - vodka is one ingredient. Usually made in a large bowl and several straws are used and it's a shared drink among all at the table. However, you can find some who will make it for one person. Most people are quite tipsy after 2 of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary