U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,660,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
When I came 20 years ago from New Orleans, a lot of Raleigh was middle income with state employees and educators as well as blue collar. Although many of the government folks have degrees, the state legislature is not generous to them in pay.
State employees are nowhere NEAR the majority of Raleigh residents. 20 years ago, RTP was booming (and IBM, specifically had been booming for 20 years before that); 1988 was NOT the "beginning of everything", just because you moved here then.

Quote:
North Hills was a little mall with JC Penney and Winn Dixie as anchors. Now it's full of boutiques and fancy eateries.
The anchors in North Hills Mall were Penney and Dillard's; they also had longtime local upscale clothing stores like Tyler House, Nowell's, and Ronson's. Winn Dixie was across the street at the Plaza. However, North Hills had been in slight decline ever since Crabtree Valley overshadowed it when it opened in the early '70s. And Cameron Village had undergone a remodel not long before.

Quote:
Stores like Nordstrom and Saks didn't exist here. This was Kmart country.
What a ridiculous statement--there is PLENTY of middle ground between Saks and KMart. All three of the above shopping centers I mention had boutique-y, upscale stores and have for years. "Old Raleigh" money had been around long before you arrived, and North Raleigh (which at the time stopped not far past Strickland Rd) had plenty of large, expensive houses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:19 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,150,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

What a ridiculous statement--there is PLENTY of middle ground between Saks and KMart. All three of the above shopping centers I mention had boutique-y, upscale stores and have for years. "Old Raleigh" money had been around long before you arrived, and North Raleigh (which at the time stopped not far past Strickland Rd) had plenty of large, expensive houses!
I agree. I have a friend who married into "old Raleigh money" and just for grins, I ran that KMart/Saks statement by her. She had a good laugh. She's *very* familiar with Nordstrom, being from the PNW and she confirms through her husband that Raleigh, though smaller than it is today, was always more than just a wide patch in the road.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:46 PM

61 posts, read 147,511 times
I honestly think that this is more of a national trend than simply a reflection of the state of labor relations in NC. Unions have NEVER gained much popularity in NC, e. g. The Greensboro Five and Norma Rae (AKA Crystal Lee Jordan of Roanoke Rapids, NC). Nationally, union memberships are waning aside from the highly skilled labor professions.

As for the construction industry, what actually has happened to construction wages and what lousy skills do build your homes? I make a healthy salary doing just that, and your home will only be as poorly built as you let it be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Right to Work = Right to Work for Less.

Some unions are bad, but just watch management when no unions exist. Research the exploitation of Raleigh sanitation workers that came to a head last year. These folks who work in cold and the 100+ temperatures last August were cheated out of their overtime. Largely minority, these employees were treated terribly until a public outcry occurred. Unions no use?

See what happened to construction wages and what lousy skills now build your homes.

I was in Federal management but am staunchly pro-union.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,484,973 times
Yes, there were wealthy folks here for a while. However, the growth of the HOA controlled cookie cutter cul-de-sac communities was primarily fueled by well paid transplants.

Raleigh had its elite areas, but you didn't see McMansions erupting in a working class area like Millbrook Rd near Falls.

Very tough for kids to get on their own with so much development aimed at the transplant set.

Remember this. Many companies moved here from higher cost areas to save money. What will they do if the Triangle starts to ratchet up in cost?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 PM

103 posts, read 68,882 times
Wink And Back To The Local Real Estate Market

I think one of the reasons why the Raleigh-Durham area is doing better than the national average in this real estate decline is because of the better job market here. Because this area is so diverse and overall pays so well, given the cost of living, people do not lose their homes here like they have in other parts of the country. Diversity is good for many things and in this case, a very diverse and well paying job market protects the real estate market to a large degree.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,004,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Isn't that a widely-acknowledged traditional USA sociology-major career track, not limited to Raleigh?
Pretty much. In the end you can't rely on a small sample of "personal experiences". 50% of the population is making around 70k which is well above the average income in the US. There are a lot of well paying jobs here whether some want to realize it or not. The main reason why this area is doing so well in the housing market is there are lots of jobs that pay well.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 PM

245 posts, read 727,847 times
Wow, I feel like I need an umbrella and rain boots after reading some of the doom and gloom!

I won't add to the fire by commenting on sociology majors and/or unions, but as a transplant who moved here in her 30s with a young family, one of the biggest impressions my husband and I had was "damn, a lot of these kids have their lives together!" I mean, you go to State for what? $10K a year (if that!), then graduate, and I've met so many college grads who have marriage and home ownership down pat by the time they turn 25. By the time they're 30 or so, it seems like there's some serious financial footing for a lot of these kids. That's a lot less common in other parts of the country I've lived in (namely, the Northeast and CA) where I get emails monthly from friends my age who are still single, looking, and renting even when they're making really awesome salaries.

I would advise the sociology major to take a psychology course or two to gain some insight as to why you would take an unsatisfactory job at such a low wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary