Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:19 PM

32 posts, read 92,344 times

Advertisements

What do you think? I personally feel that if the doorbell rings, and I peek out and don't recognize the person, I should just ignore them. It its an emergency, they will bang on the door, not just ring it once and leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:23 PM

51 posts, read 232,708 times
Yes, you should do whatever you feel comfortable with when strangers approach your home. Not to sound sexist but...especially if you are a female at home alone.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:26 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Depends. If its a woman, I'm more likely to answer it. If its a guy, I don't answer it unless my husband is home. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by autumngal; 05-26-2008 at 07:14 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 08:39 PM

84 posts, read 370,809 times
I agree that I don't feel comfortable answering the door to a male stranger being a stay at home mom. But I am very torn on how to answer this question fully. Reason being is that I had heard from a police officer friend last fall about people going around and knocking on doors during the day and if no one answered, then they kicked the door in to steal TVs, computers, etc. In lies the dilemna. If I don't answer the door, then there's the possibility that I have a burglar enter my home with me and the kids inside. This is when I wished I had a dog! We do have an alarm but don't leave it on when we are home. We do have the bell chime on for when the door opens (never know when my 3 little ones are trying to escape) so hopefully the loud chime of "Front Door Open" will scare them off a little.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:30 PM

13 posts, read 35,722 times
It is a shame that we have to live that way these days. Unfortunately, it is very real. The great majority of solicitors are harmless, yet we worry about the ones that are not, and rightfully so. Personally I worry much less since our german shepherd is around.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:32 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Women are as dangerous as men.

Do not open the door. You can let them know you're home by saying through the door that you're busy and can't admit them. If they ask for help tell them to wait and that police are coming to assist them.

Call police if they appear to be going from door to door. Officer or deputy can check to see if their purpose is legit.

See the other thread on door to door sales of cleaning products.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Hi all . . . I am from Charlotte forum and saw this thread . .. and just wanted to let you know that we have had a rash of crimes here in CLT (wh/ hopefully, are now under control b/c several thugs have been apprehended) - and the modus operandi has been that two guys come to the door, knock/ring doorbell, and if no one answers, they either kick in the front door or go to the back/side door. This has happened several times w/ people at home - once w/ a woman there who had heard of these breakins, so she called out, didn't answer door and dialed 911. And at least once, a man was home working (telecommuter) and the thugs actually did break in but ran when he called out. One older couple was beaten badly and the man thrown down stairs. There are many more incidences, but these are just a few to indicate that if the thugs thought no one was home, they came on in. So at least call out and say - I am sick, or I can't answer the door, etc. The PD here advised that you should call out or let the people know you are there but not going to answer the door.

As you know, crime often spreads to new areas when thugs get run out of one area . . . so just be aware. Hopefully, this is not something that will happen in RDU area, but you never know. Just be alert if you are home and anyone unfamiliar comes to the door. Also, if your community has a "no soliciting" ordinance, you may want to check into that and see what your rights are.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 9,345 times
Exclamation Be prepared

The majority of people unrecognized by you who may knock on your door are more of a nuisance than a threat...but why run the risks involved in finding out which kind they may be. One can answer the door and state BEFORE opening it, "I am armed and will defend myself, what is your business?" It doesn't make any difference whether you are actually armed or not. Personally, I recommend you are. In Wake County response time by law enforcement can range from 10 minutes to 2+ hours dependent on a great many factors (this info is from 2 retired Captains in the Sheriff's office) and if the folks knocking are bad guys, that response time can have dire consequences. Don't be a victim. "The only people who are controlled by laws are those who obey them."

Old 05-26-2008, 07:51 AM

84 posts, read 370,809 times
Default Great tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hi all . . . I am from Charlotte forum and saw this thread . .. and just wanted to let you know that we have had a rash of crimes here in CLT (wh/ hopefully, are now under control b/c several thugs have been apprehended) - and the modus operandi has been that two guys come to the door, knock/ring doorbell, and if no one answers, they either kick in the front door or go to the back/side door. This has happened several times w/ people at home - once w/ a woman there who had heard of these breakins, so she called out, didn't answer door and dialed 911. And at least once, a man was home working (telecommuter) and the thugs actually did break in but ran when he called out. One older couple was beaten badly and the man thrown down stairs. There are many more incidences, but these are just a few to indicate that if the thugs thought no one was home, they came on in. So at least call out and say - I am sick, or I can't answer the door, etc. The PD here advised that you should call out or let the people know you are there but not going to answer the door.

As you know, crime often spreads to new areas when thugs get run out of one area . . . so just be aware. Hopefully, this is not something that will happen in RDU area, but you never know. Just be alert if you are home and anyone unfamiliar comes to the door. Also, if your community has a "no soliciting" ordinance, you may want to check into that and see what your rights are.
Thanks for the great tips Anifani! I will definitely call out now "I can't answer the door" (maybe even add that I have my hands full of poopy diapers as an extra deterent) and have a phone in hand in case they decide to ignore me. I am on our newly organized neighborhood watch committee so I will check on our rights and the "no soliciting" ordinance too as we have the police chief come to our meetings regularly.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
Not long ago there was a woman who knocked on the door of a neighbor in the late evening (10-11pm) saying she was having car trouble and needed to use the phone. The neighbor talked to her through the glass sidelight and offered to call help for her. The woman at the door ran out to a waiting car in front of the house that was quickly driven off. Scary. We have an intercom system that we can use to talk to the person at the door without having to answer it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary