U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:45 PM

11 posts, read 25,688 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate away from Michigan (yes, I know me and almost everyone else). I would like to hear from former Michiganders are the relocaion and the adjustment. Also, I liked in the Okemos/Haslett areas while going to MSU for grad. school, and now live in West Bloomfield. What areas would you consider comparable in your area? Any chance of being close to a lake if we are looking for a house in the $250-300K range.
I am a psychotherapist specializing in at-home parenting consulting and couples' therapy. What do you think the market is like?
Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 PM

176 posts, read 573,836 times
Hello, toocoldinmichigan.

I'm not sure I can answer all of your questions, but I'll take a shot at a couple of them. I used to live in E.Lansing for grad school as well and am a bit familiar with West Bloomfield. If you like the large university atmosphere of E. Lansing/Okemos and the upscale feel of West Bloomfield, you might consider Chapel Hill. Another option might be the Glenwood Ave. area of Raleigh. My recommendation would be to come down and visit to get a feel for the area because there might be other areas that would fit as well. Maybe you'd like Cary or Apex???

As for lakes, hmmm... The largest lakes in the area are Falls Lake and Jordan Lake. They are, um, not anything like the lakes I'm used to in Michigan. (Sorry, NC folks! I miss my clear blue lakes! My husband said that I'm a "lakes snob" though after growing up on Lake Michigan and living near Lake Superior for a few years.) As for finding property ON a lake, there might be some nice houses in Grove Park in Durham that you might want to check out. I just don't know if you'll like the area there since it's very different from Haslett/Okemos/Lake Lansing and West Bloomfield. (IMHO, the subdivision is nice but I wasn't fond of the surrounding area) Otherwise, for Jordan Lake or Falls Lake, you might be able to find something in subdivisions not too far away (the Southpoint area of Durham or the Falconbridge area of Durham/Chapel Hill for Jordan Lake, for example). It all depends on what you mean by "being close to a lake." I'm not sure about the prices for real estate in West Bloomfield, but things are a bit more expensive here than in the Haslett/Okemos area.

I hope this helps as you contemplate your move!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM

261 posts, read 1,078,199 times
Default I'm married to a handsome Michigander...

My husband is from Troy. He is a graduate of MSU, and went to work with IBM straight out of college in the early 80's.

ntchanga is right on about our "lakes". A house on a lake of any size will likely be priced at least in the $500's to upwards of a million. Maybe some very diligent searching may find a house on some sort of pond in the $250-$300k range.

Our home prices seem more expensive than what I saw in Michigan.

After I saw the Great Lakes, I realized ours are lake-lets!

My husband likes it very much here, except for the hottest months. He just doesn't do well with heat. But he says it beats all those gray winter months back in Troy. And there are lots of Michiganders here in the area.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,127 times
Ya hey der!

I was born in Escanaba Michigan (the North Woods) where there are two seasons--winter and winter's coming! Yeah you've heard that one! I know!
I have married and raised a family in Durham, NC since then and love it! I do miss the Lakes, rivers, creeks and the food! But I don't miss the harsh winters.
There are very few lakes except for the manmade ones Jordan, etc. that were mentioned earlier. But, the nice thing about the RDU area is you are 2 hours from the ocean and 2 hours from the mountains....you can take your pick any time of the year! Good luck!

Yooper still!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:41 AM

176 posts, read 573,836 times
Hey, Sherry!

I lived in Escanaba (in the early 90s) and taught at Escanaba H.S.!!!!! Small world...

Old 05-29-2008, 07:44 AM

114 posts, read 334,377 times
Another Michigander here. Moved down from Ann Arbor about a year ago. I miss some of the lakes and rivers but overall the quality of life is high down here. You will miss some things but gain some as well. In many ways, Cary might be a bit like West Bloomfield (well to do suburb) but there are definitely some differences. I am Durham has some similarities as well.

I would say that in your price range, you would have to go a bit farther outside Raleigh to be near a lake although you might find something reasonably close to Falls Lake or Jordan Lake in that range.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 AM

673 posts, read 2,045,296 times
Default Another Michigander here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtNC View Post
Another Michigander here. Moved down from Ann Arbor about a year ago. I miss some of the lakes and rivers but overall the quality of life is high down here. You will miss some things but gain some as well. In many ways, Cary might be a bit like West Bloomfield (well to do suburb) but there are definitely some differences. I am Durham has some similarities as well.
Hey KurtNC!

We moved from the Ann Arbor area last fall! One of those Pfizer families! Hubby and I both worked in Ann Arbor -- we lived in Saline.

We both actually grew up in South Carolina, but we lived in Michigan for 20 years -- loved Michigan! The cold, eh, not so much... We sure loved the NC weather this past winter!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:24 PM

286 posts, read 899,036 times
Well.....I am from Flint Michigan but spent about 4 years living in Grand Rapids also. I dont know a thing about the areas you talked about so I cant answer that question.

I am a BRAND NEW relo so I also don't have a ton to offer as far as the adjustment. I can, however, tell you about job searching. I also work in mental health and found the job market in raleigh and durham to be excellent. There's a lot of good opportunity out there in the field. The search was discouraging at first, as it did take a long time before I started getting phone calls. But....once the calls started I got quite a few.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM

467 posts, read 1,552,424 times
Yoopers unite - we should start a club! I moved here in August from Ann Arbor, but grew up in the UP (Ontonagon). I'm actually heading back up that way in a couple weeks - it's been a few years since I've been to the Yoop, and I'm so excited! I've gotta say, after 15 years in flat SE Michigan, one of the first things that made me fall in love w/ this area were the hills and trees that reminded me of the UP.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,494 times
I moved down here from MI about 9 years ago. I had lived in Oak Park, Ann Arbor and Midland before moving down here. I think you will like it here. I would say that Cary is most similar to West Bloomfield in terms of available retail. A lot of former Northerners live there.

We settled in Durham - which has more of a inner suburb/urban feel - probably most like Ferndale or Oak Park or maybe Warren or Royal Oak years ago, if I am thinking Detroit suburbs. Many areas are great, but there are not so nice areas usually fairly nearby. North Durham is nice since the house prices are great and it is fairly close to downtown/Ninth St if you don't go too far past 85. Watts Hillandale is a nice neighborhood and Trinity Park and Duke Park are great historic neighborhoods, but the homes are much older than I think of as a typical West Bloomfield home. The part of Durham that feels most like West Bloomfield would be on the South side of town probably close to SouthPoint Mall - which is comparable to Somerset.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary