Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 PM

108 posts, read 494,482 times

Advertisements

It would be a long post, so I want to see if there's interested first. I would not promote any specific school because no school is right for every family. My closest friends, parents I respect, all have their kids in different schools and they are all very happy. They found what works for their family.

I learned a lot about what to look for, questions to ask and not to ask. What to look for on school websites, what to look for on school visits..... a lot of stuff -literally 2 years of this.
One thing I really want everyone to know is that scholarships are available at private schools. Generally the higher the tuition the more financial aid opportunities there are. This was a surprise to me and I think to a lot of people. Parents, teachers and other students have NO IDEA which kids are receiving financial aid., so no worries about your kid being singled out as the kid on financial aid.

See how long this is allready and I just started!
I've learned a lot from the kindness and sharing of people on this board. Maybe I'll have my chance to help others.....

Last edited by north_raleigh_spa_mom; 05-27-2008 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,789 times
I'm interested if you'd please

Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 PM

245 posts, read 809,334 times
Are you thinking of posting this info on the site?

A lot of us are here to make sure we consider all the angles when making lifestyle decisions. I think some general info would be VERY well received. Then people can respond or PM you with specific questions.

For example, that private school info was perfect. I've so far been impressed by the Wake County schools, both from personal experience with my child and from talking to families who have seen their graduates go on to great success, good colleges, etc. But it's fantastic to have all options at your fingertips when making such big decisions. For example, I do live in the part of Cary where redistricting is a big issue. OK, fine... so let's figure into our plan whether or not we want the base school, the year-round school (and if so, which track?), a magnet school (which one out of 15 or so?), a charter school, a private school (religious or non-religious?), homeschool (lots of community resources for that in this area!), or put the decision off another year or so (unless things have changed in the past year, NC law doesn't require that your kid enroll in school til the age of 7.)

And once all that research is done, and the finances are in order, there's still that huge leap of faith that things will work out!

Back to basics, I have not seen the private school financing issue addressed until you, so I'm sure you'd find avid readers for any type of inside scoop on that.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
nr spamom,
thats a great idea. I'm wondering if your kids are in school now? And if so have your impressions changed at all from your research?

I only ask because there were places/schools I ruled out for various reasons and now that I've been here and met others who have kids at these particular schools and in some cases now toured those schools, I feel that those places would have been great for my kids too. And of course, in other cases, I feel like my research impression for my family was 100% correct.

I think your info would be valuable to many relocators!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 AM

78 posts, read 199,070 times
In two words...hell yes. Hope that doesnt offend anyone. I have been researching in preparation for our move in late June. I have come to the conclusion that we are going to rent for a year and check out the area on foot. Just in reading this board you will find a wide variety of opinions. From traffic to crime everyone differs in their thoughts. Take the traffic for example, some say it is horrible but I currently live in Chicago where commuting is a sport that one has to train for. You might laugh but a well conditioned bladder is a must. While my perspective is based on a unique situation that not everyone experiences, the norm for traffic is different for everyone.

I was speaking with a friends and they asked what we were looking for and I jokingly said the same thing everyone else is trying to find. We want the best schools, nicest houses for our money, good shopping, easy commute, a great neighborhood without someone on top of you. Since this post is now a novel, I will close with saying that you research would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:09 AM

50 posts, read 196,255 times
That's my biggest concern -- schools! Would love to hear what you have to say.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,946 times
I'd love to hear as well! We just finished our own research on Private schools and have a child starting in the Fall so I'm anxious to hear how what we found compares to what you have found.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
Yes, assistance is available. I know people who receive assistance to Ravenscroft and Cary Academy. It is out there.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 AM

30 posts, read 77,287 times
Is this research based on just private or public as well? Yes! I'm very interested! Bring it on!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:18 PM

87 posts, read 361,045 times
I'm Waiting to hear!!!!! Have a ADHD child that needs a private school and I can't afford one!!! Loved the scholarship info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary