Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 11:43 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,871,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The last few years I've gotten diligent about a yearly eye exam, with all the various high-tech screening things they use to assess retinal health, checks for glaucoma, etc. I'm one of those who has a pair of readers in almost every room of the house; I buy them in bulk.
You are fortunate. I've worn glasses since I was five years old so annual eye exams have been mandatory for me. An extended family member always went to the doctor for a complete physical every year, but never went to the eye doctor since he didn't wear glasses. He ended up developing Glaucoma that was left undetected for years without any regular eye exams. Many other diseases such as pituitary gland tumors can be detected early through eye exams before any major symptoms develop. Your eyes and vision changes with age and everyone should get regular eye exams whether or not they wear corrective glasses or contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 04:31 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Everyone has a story, a personal story.
It can be misleading to hope or assume someone's experience will be exactly the same as yours.
That said, two stories.

I donated my cataracts to medical science several years ago. I took two long lenses, rather than one near and one far and assuming my brain would adjust and correct.

It was lifechanging for me, as I was born with cataracts, spots/flaws in my lenses. My vision is better than it was my entire life.
I had bifocals in my 30's and trifocals at 43. Awful.
Vision is now 20/20 uncorrected from arms' reach to infinity. I wear cheap 1.25 readers for arms' reach and closer, computer, books, etc.
I buy cheap sunglasses with that 1.25 reading lense in bifocal position.
My astigmatism is so minor, I just don't correct it. I tried readers with astigmatism correction, and it was disorienting switching from near to far, corrected and uncorrected.
I have typical red-green colorblindness, and it wasn't "cured," but colors I see are brighter.

Dr. Boehlke at Duke did mine and it was a perfect experience and outcome, IMO.

My wife had more challenges than I do.
Early, controlled glaucoma.
Amblyopia requiring prisms for near and far vision.
So, she wears glasses all the time, even with 20/20 vision. Plain lenses with the prisms for distance.

Dr. Stone at Cary Ophthalmology did hers, and the predicted complications have required some predicted after-surgery twiddling.

I would recommend either guy for consult, and surgery if indicated.
I just had one eye done last week with a multi focal lens.

Other than the cataract being gone my vision is blurry colors are dull (real issue since I am an interior designer) and I can't see out of the eye. My eye is having sharp pains in it. The entire eye is tender.

Like your wife There were some challenges as told to me by my doctor.

He said I have small eyeballs and there fore he did a laser procedure prior to even touching the cataracts to relieve pressure in the eyes.

The cataract surgery didnt have a good outcome. I have blurred vision in that eye. At my 1 week post op he brought in a witness to listen to everything he told me. I guess he thinks I will sue him? He said the lens is perfectly placed.

This act actually made me feel sketchy about the whole thing and wonder if he just messed up.

When I got home I googled small eyeballs and the explanation just stated farsightedness. Which I am. Severely so. The correction in that eye was at almost 6 going into surgery.

Now I am at -22. He says the lens is exactly placed.

I cancelled my other eye being done.

I am now seeking other doctors to speak to.

I would love to say this doctors name and find out his reputation but won't. He was referred to me by the opthamolist I have seen for 17 years so I felt confident until now.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:09 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I just had one eye done last week with a multi focal lens.

Other than the cataract being gone my vision is blurry colors are dull (real issue since I am an interior designer) and I can't see out of the eye. My eye is having sharp pains in it. The entire eye is tender.
I am sorry you are having problems. However, the sight may improve with time. I had similar problems because I moved my eye under a retaining ring during the surgery. I scratched the eyeball and needed an anti-biotic and pain reliever.

You may be doing the right thing looking for another doctor, but I suggest waiting 2-3 weeks if your eye needs to heal.

Old 08-11-2023, 02:53 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I am sorry you are having problems. However, the sight may improve with time. I had similar problems because I moved my eye under a retaining ring during the surgery. I scratched the eyeball and needed an anti-biotic and pain reliever.

You may be doing the right thing looking for another doctor, but I suggest waiting 2-3 weeks if your eye needs to heal.
Thank You for the feed back. The doctor said the eye looks great and the lens is perfect but pressure is pushing the lens forward and there isnt anything they can do about that.....but then he said " I thought your vision wouldn't be this bad". HUH? He said it has healed well one week post op.

My issue is I can't drive, see, work etc. I have to be able to see. The whole thing has now caused vertigo on top of it.

Something isn't right. Just a gut feeling.

I think its worth a second option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary