U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 AM

94 posts, read 283,806 times

Advertisements

We'll be doing our move to Raleigh in July. Our plan at this point is to sell both our cars here and buy Toyota/Nissan/Mazda's that are 2 or so years old when we get there. Have any of you done this. I would appreciate any tips, recommendations for dealerships, etc. We visited Carmax when we were there in April...not too impressed. We are considering using Cars Direct but their inventory for the kind of car I'm looking for is a little "slim pickings".

Have any of you brought (shipped) your car long distance? Are there some ways that are more affordable than others? How are the dealerships for Toyota etc. to work with? Do you have any other suggestions?

Last edited by Robyns.Nest; 05-28-2008 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: sp
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 AM

1,364 posts, read 5,446,722 times
Shipping a car is expensive - I was surprised that it was going to be 1500 bucks from LA to NC.

Buying cars here is tougher - used cars that is. I am from LA and you can find ANYTHING used there.

Have you checked out Auction Direct USA? It's near Carmax - they have a website and some decent deals I thought.

Dealerships are decent - there is enough competition around that they will wheel and deal a little, but not as much as big city dealers.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 AM

583 posts, read 2,569,695 times
The cost of gas is hitting a lot of people hard here these days, so a lot are downsizing from their SUVs and buying up the cars that you're describing for the gas mileage. There's a lot of car dealerships in the triangle area though, so if you rent something to get you around for a week or so (or borrow one if you know someone who is already living her), you should be able to find something. When I was looking for a Toyota, I noticed that a lot of those dealerships have websites so keep checking them.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 AM

2,812 posts, read 6,446,275 times
There is no shortage of dealerships here, in fact if they were 'water' we would
of never had the past drought we had. All kidding to the parking ramp for now.
Toyota's are sold by just about every dealership in the area, used that is. You
should not have a problem getting what you are looking for. You can also check
ebay and craigslist. Its is all a matter of what you are comfortable with.

I was amazed with the number of options here to purchase cars versus where we came from back in the northeast. It seems like every corner here is a Walgreen's and a
car dealer, not sure what if any common thread exist between both other than maybe aspirins as one can give you a headache and one can take it away!

Dealerships are large too! Plenty of cars to pick from and if you don't like today's
selection you will get another tomorrow! It may not be LA worthy but I think we have
a very good representation of car dealerships here in the triangle!

Good luck with your move. July is hot and humid so searching car lots in July is challenging.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,329,756 times
Just thought I would give you a heads up. I found out this has been a pretty common thing with alot of dealers. It just happened to two of my close friends (who live in the Triangle) last week. If anything, its better to educate yourself then let this happen to you (hopefully it wont).

Spot Delivery and Automobile Dealer Fraud

Old 05-28-2008, 02:05 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,481,401 times
The real way you avoid this is to not take the car until the bank approves you.

Best to get preapproved.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:49 PM

94 posts, read 283,806 times
On one of our car puchaces this very thing happened. They came back to us a day later and said we'd have to pay more because they couldn't find a loan at they rate we'd originally agreed upon. We were warned this would happen, so we were ready for them and said "well that's just too bad. Guess we'll just have to bring the car back!" They were hoping that we would have fallen in love with the car and agree to a higher payment because we had already taken the bait. Long story short...they didn't want the car back and we stuck to our guns...Just take it back then! They figured themselves out pretty quickly to get the loan we agreed to.

Bunch of sharks! Now we generally always try to get a loan, if needed, through our own bank or credit union...Rates are MUCH better. I do feel bad for people who have bad credit and are at the mercy of these hustlers. Don't let yourself be Bullied!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary