U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 12:14 PM

2,813 posts, read 6,448,913 times

Advertisements

Many have questions about Wake Forest.

And I haven't found one yet I did not like.
So I put together a quick, short, OK maybe its
long and wordy but that's up to the reader to decide.

These are my 'opinions' of the area called Northern Forest in Wake.

2006 Estimated Population: 22,651 and I can say with
comfort and without an advanced math degree there
are more than that in 2008. The split is almost 50/50 between
males and females. Imagine that. It is hilly to some,
while to others from the mountains who may characterize the
ups and downs as knolls or bumps. There are plenty of trees,
less than last year but still a fair amount.

There is the old 1950's / 1960's feeling downtown. People
are generally friendly and some do know how to communicate
with a finger or two but mostly with a gentle wave of the hand.
They have a lot of community events for us town folks. No we
don't bring our goods to the main street on the weekends to sell
but we do have a nice farmers market on Saturday's. And you
guessed it, its on the town main street, called S. White Street.
We have plenty of new home communities that fits most everyones
taste and needs. Some are complete with shopping, golfing,
swimming, tennis, walking, biking, and any other amenity you can
characterize as an amenity. We have a main road to the Capital
City called Raleigh. We named that road Capital Blvd. just seemed to
work! We also have other major roads that lead into and out of the
town, like Route 98 which goes nicely East and West. btw: Capital
Blvd (Rt1) goes North and South. So that covers us nicely. We have
other roads that go kind of Northwesterly and some Southeasterly just
in case.

We have our fair share of deer so drive carefully. We have insects,
the same ones people throughout the southeast and possibly where you
are from. And as recent threads have professed at least for the moment we
don't have bears nor cobras. So we have that going for us. We have a
beautiful lake near by called Falls Lake. In recent past it certainly held true to its name and kept falling in level but nature has a way of fixing that. Its called rain, and it did, and it rose...but for the moment we will not rename the lake to Rose Lake or Rising Lake.

We were the birth place of Wake Forest University. Please don't come here
looking for it, you must take Rt 40 West to Winston Salem. There you will
find Wake Forest University on its current state. But what we do have is
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Its in the older section of
town and has very nice grounds. We also have multiple Elementary,
Middle, and a High school. Our elementary and some middle schools
are traditional and year round. We are part of the Wake County Public
School System (WCPSS). See WCPSS site for much more information
regarding our schools.

As far as shopping, well we have 'A' Walmart and 'A' Target. We have
many groceries chains stores and we have many of the national
restaurants chains and fast food drive on through chains. We have
more under construction and even more being though up. We have
an old time hardware / department store downtown on S. White Street,
which is kind of cool I think. There is less and less of those anymore
so when you get a chance to shop in one its a piece of history.
So if your looking for an area to check out or to possibly raise a family
you may want to look at Wake Forest. If anything its a nice ride to the
north county of Wake County! So this was a quick snapshot of
some of the things you will find in Wake Forest and why I like it.

P.S. we do have gas stations and thanks be to plastic they do take credit cards.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-28-2008 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: fixed font tags :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 PM

11,475 posts, read 25,708,361 times
What more can you ask for? You let the secret out. I can't wait to move there.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:09 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,492,142 times
Just be aware of the Capital Blvd traffic if you'll be commuting on Capital.

We live in Raleigh on Capital. The influx to Wake Forest has really made for some ugly rush hour traffic. Lucky for me. I can just watch it crawl by burning $4 gas.

If the traffic's not an issue, WF can be nice. The Golden Corral in WF is much better than the one near me on Millbrook at Capital.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 PM

2,934 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Just be aware of the Capital Blvd traffic if you'll be commuting on Capital.

We live in Raleigh on Capital. The influx to Wake Forest has really made for some ugly rush hour traffic. Lucky for me. I can just watch it crawl by burning $4 gas.

If the traffic's not an issue, WF can be nice. The Golden Corral in WF is much better than the one near me on Millbrook at Capital.
I would agree with Saturn fan here. We loved Wake Forest too, but commuting into downtown Raleigh would not be fun during peak traffic times and it's also a pretty long hike to RTP. That is why we chose to live in NW Raleigh since my wife is 12-15 minutes from here job in RTP and even though I work in SE Raleigh the 19 mile commute only takes me 23-25 minutes and traffic is never an issue because of the reverse commute. Other than that WF is a nice town, but for the distance you have to travel for most job centers it's a bit out there given the total size of the Raleigh/Durham area.

I will give you the "town" feeling though. Even though we love where we live, I would love to live in a area that has "town" activities, etc. I sometimes get the feeling that even though we are within the city limites of Raleigh there is nothing unifying about the area I live in. I really like my neighborhood/area, but I would like more of a community feel sometimes.

Last edited by Waterboy526; 05-28-2008 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 AM

2,813 posts, read 6,448,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I would agree with Saturn fan here. We loved Wake Forest too, but commuting into downtown Raleigh would not be fun during peak traffic times and it's also a pretty long hike to RTP. That is why we chose to live in NW Raleigh since my wife is 12-15 minutes from here job in RTP and even though I work in SE Raleigh the 19 mile commute only takes me 23-25 minutes and traffic is never an issue because of the reverse commute. Other than that WF is a nice town, but for the distance you have to travel for most job centers it's a bit out there given the total size of the Raleigh/Durham area.

I will give you the "town" feeling though. Even though we love where we live, I would love to live in a area that has "town" activities, etc. I sometimes get the feeling that even though we are within the city limits of Raleigh there is nothing unifying about the area I live in. I really like my neighborhood/area, but I would like more of a community feel sometimes.
Waterboy and Saturn are right about the traffic and the distance to jobs in RTP but for those that work from home or have jobs in NRaleigh or points north/east/west of WF its not to bad! Also, if you can commute outside the normal peak traffic hours its not bad at all.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 AM

11,475 posts, read 25,708,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post

I will give you the "town" feeling though. Even though we love where we live, I would love to live in a area that has "town" activities, etc. I sometimes get the feeling that even though we are within the city limites of Raleigh there is nothing unifying about the area I live in. I really like my neighborhood/area, but I would like more of a community feel sometimes.
I really like the town feeling too. We haven't found jobs yet because we are waiting to see when we're moving. We're hoping to work right in Wake Forest.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:56 AM

488 posts, read 1,375,775 times
My husband and I both work in RTP and the drive isn't too bad. I work 7-4ish and take 1 or 410 to 540 and it takes about 25-30 minutes. My husband works 8-5 and he usually takes 98 and it takes him 30-35 minutes. When we first moved here we lived in Cary and the commute actually took as long if not longer due to traffic in Cary.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:17 PM

45 posts, read 93,744 times
Im new to this thread and it has been really helpful.
My family and I are from Bergen County NJ and are awaiting transfer news from my husband's job here to Durham. Could anyone tell me about the commute to Durham? Also, we would like a strong community feel without it feeling too country...we live 7 miles outside of NYC and it is a very cosmopolitan area.
Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary