Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 16,179 times

Advertisements

Hi there!!
We are a family from Southern California who would love to meet others in our same situation who moved here from California and would also just like to meet some new friends in general! =)

A little about us. My husband is a comedy writer (he doesn't think so as he didn't fulfill his "Hollywood dream", but trust me, he is a writer through and through and he's known to his friends as being the funny guy). I had been in sales in the garment industry for most of my career up until I became a hairstylist in order to have a flexible schedule once we started a family. I am a Peruvian girl who was born and raised in Los Angeles between Glendale and Santa Monica and my husband is born and raised in Charlotte, NC, but had been living in LA for the past 16 years. We fell in love, got married and then had our little peruvian-cracker girl who is at the center of our life and the best thing either one of us has ever done! We love art house movies, all kinds of food; sushi, thai, mexican, middle eastern, concert going and mostly just hanging out with good friends.

We've been here about two months and would love to meet some new people and make some new friends.

Thanks for reading our post =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
Where are you living and how old is your peruvian-cracker?

I am an LA transplant - 7 months out of LA now...couldn't be happier. My fiancee only lived in LA with me just over a year, so she doesn't really count!

Things I miss-

In n out burger
Chinese Dim Sum bakeries (you can get Dim Sum here, but haven't seen one of the bakery-type places where you can just get a donut-box full of Pork Buns)
Good Mexican Food

There is allegedly good Thai food here, though I haven't found it yet - haven't looked TOO hard.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:55 PM

We are renting for now in North Raleigh off Creedmoor. We had to find a place in one weekend because we didn't want to have to make another trip out. Our peruvian-cracker will be two in September and she keeps us on our toes and has been so much fun. Ok, here's my things I miss:

Driving to the beach in ten minutes (ok, 20 in traffic!)
Casa Escobar on Wilshire
Downtown Culver City (where we lived)
Best Foods Mayo (Duke's is good tho)
Hamburger Habit on Sepulveda/National - the chocolate shakes!!!
Kyono on Beverly Drive

Where do you guys live?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:00 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
Renting in SW Durham right now - moving to Brightleaf at the Park when our house is completed in the fall/winter.

The shakes at Hamburger Habit were good, though I was unimpressed with the burgers.

Apple Pan burgers are better

Old 05-28-2008, 05:10 PM

186 posts, read 659,425 times
I think we must have passed you on the ride out here. We moved from LA at the end of March. We're now in Apex.

I worked in the entertainment industry about ten years ago before I became "domesticated." I also lived in Santa Monica for most of my childhood. My husband is also an NC native. We lived in Culver City for several years.

Have you tried trianglemommies.com? It's a great way to get connected to other people with kids.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:15 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peruvian-cracker View Post
We are renting for now in North Raleigh off Creedmoor. We had to find a place in one weekend because we didn't want to have to make another trip out. Our peruvian-cracker will be two in September and she keeps us on our toes and has been so much fun. Ok, here's my things I miss:

Driving to the beach in ten minutes (ok, 20 in traffic!)
Casa Escobar on Wilshire
Downtown Culver City (where we lived)
Best Foods Mayo (Duke's is good tho)
Hamburger Habit on Sepulveda/National - the chocolate shakes!!!
Kyono on Beverly Drive

Where do you guys live?

Maybe you haven't found it b/c on the east coast it's called Hellman's. It's the same thing though.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Thumbs up Welcome!

Quote:
Hi there!!
We are a family from Southern California who would love to meet others in our same situation who moved here from California and would also just like to meet some new friends in general! =)

A little about us. My husband is a comedy writer (he doesn't think so as he didn't fulfill his "Hollywood dream", but trust me, he is a writer through and through and he's known to his friends as being the funny guy). I had been in sales in the garment industry for most of my career up until I became a hairstylist in order to have a flexible schedule once we started a family. I am a Peruvian girl who was born and raised in Los Angeles between Glendale and Santa Monica and my husband is born and raised in Charlotte, NC, but had been living in LA for the past 16 years. We fell in love, got married and then had our little peruvian-cracker girl who is at the center of our life and the best thing either one of us has ever done! We love art house movies, all kinds of food; sushi, thai, mexican, middle eastern, concert going and mostly just hanging out with good friends.

We've been here about two months and would love to meet some new people and make some new friends.

Thanks for reading our post =)
Man, you just missed a meet-up we had in Cary. You can read all about it here:

CD Meet-Up-May 18th @ Hibernian, Cary 6pm

There were lots of people from California there. I believe a few were from LA.

I'm not from LA, but I am going out there this summer for a wedding. Looking forward to it. I always pick up a Hot Dog from wienerschnitze when I am out there. I also love checking out Old Town Pasadena.

Hope you are enjoying Raleigh so far. When I moved here three years ago we rented an apartment off Lake Lynn just off Creedmoor Road. You picked a great part of North Raleigh to start off in.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 PM

Totally agree about the burgers at HH, very mediocre. Speaking of The Apple Pan, did you ever try their banana cream pie? It's the best!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Man, you just missed a meet-up we had in Cary. You can read all about it here:

CD Meet-Up-May 18th @ Hibernian, Cary 6pm

There were lots of people from California there. I believe a few were from LA.

I'm not from LA, but I am going out there this summer for a wedding. Looking forward to it. I always pick up a Hot Dog from wienerschnitze when I am out there. I also love checking out Old Town Pasadena.

Hope you are enjoying Raleigh so far. When I moved here three years ago we rented an apartment off Lake Lynn just off Creedmoor Road. You picked a great part of North Raleigh to start off in.
Thanks, North Raleigh Guy, so far we love it. Things are farther away here, but you get there quicker because there's less traffic. I would love to find some good Thai food? A friend told us about a good Sushi place called Wraji, I think? It's on Duraleigh. We may check it out this weekend. Oh, and if you like Wienerschnitzel, then you might want to check out Pink's hot dog stand when you're in LA next. It's on LaBrea Blvd. They are the best!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Thanks, North Raleigh Guy, so far we love it. Things are farther away here, but you get there quicker because there's less traffic. I would love to find some good Thai food? A friend told us about a good Sushi place called Wraji, I think? It's on Duraleigh. We may check it out this weekend. Oh, and if you like Wienerschnitzel, then you might want to check out Pink's hot dog stand when you're in LA next. It's on LaBrea Blvd. They are the best!
I am not an authority in this area, but my wife and I enjoy getting Thai food at the following places in North Raleigh. Might be worth checking out:

Sawasdee Thai Restaurant
Shaba Shabu Restaurant: Authentic Thai and Japanese cuisine served in a urban, contemporary setting.
Lemongrass Thai Restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary