Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 PM

54 posts, read 358,607 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the area soon. Chapel Hill sounds like the place for me but I'm not sure. I grew up in the burbs of Atlanta and lived in northern California for six years. After living in Los Gatos, Ca, I just can't take any more rich snobs in thier Italian cycling jerseys.

I've found that most towns that are cute and well mantained tend to be a haven for snobs. Cary sounds like a nightmare to me. I'm looking for some place kinda funky but not too funky. I also do NOT want to live with people that have a air of entitlement. I'm looking for a community that is educated, liberal, tolerant and safe. Is Chapel Hill that place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 01:24 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,389,827 times
Chapel Hill is the tolerant, safe, friendly place you're looking for. Especially around downtown...wonderful people there. Don't worry about that. Snobs? Every town/city has some...particularly the really wealthy, but I really don't think Chapel Hill has any more than any other place.
There are a good number of sophisticated people in Chapel Hill, no doubt. But I've never really gotten the sense of them being snobby or anything. There is a difference.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:28 PM

927 posts, read 1,452,676 times
People in Chapel Hill tend to be philosophically liberal ... If you are from the Bay Area - you will probably adjust with no problem!

Old 01-05-2007, 04:12 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,839,368 times
Monkey Toes, I am curious how you have determined that people who dress a certain way (Italian cyle jerseys) are snobs? Just because someone has money does not automatically mean they have an air of entitlement or are snobs. Believe me, I am in no way eligible for membership in the monied class but I don't automatically dismiss people I meet who do have money. I live in Houston and there are a number of wealthy enclaves around the city that I have occasion to visit from time to time (restaurants or stores) and the people who live there seem remarkably like everyone else I know - except they have a lot more money than I do, drive better cars and have nicer houses. Don't judge people by how much money you think they have, just treat them like people first and you may be pleasantly surprised. If you can afford to live in the same town/neighborhoods that they do, then you have a lot more in common with them than you imagine.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:36 PM

474 posts, read 2,187,074 times
I've heard that Carrboro, which blends seamlessly right into Chapel Hill, is quite nice, a little artsy, a little funky, great shopping. Many people who work at the university live there. You might want to check out Carrboro. I'll be over there in a few weeks myself. Shopping and just visiting though.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:47 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
Eventhough they are wealthier than Cary.... Chapel Hill isn't nearly as snobby as Cary. Cary is the wannabe chapel hill in a way.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Eventhough they are wealthier than Cary.... Chapel Hill isn't nearly as snobby as Cary. Cary is the wannabe chapel hill in a way.
WOW! That's pretentious!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 PM

54 posts, read 358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Monkey Toes, I am curious how you have determined that people who dress a certain way (Italian cyle jerseys) are snobs? Just because someone has money does not automatically mean they have an air of entitlement or are snobs. Believe me, I am in no way eligible for membership in the monied class but I don't automatically dismiss people I meet who do have money. I live in Houston and there are a number of wealthy enclaves around the city that I have occasion to visit from time to time (restaurants or stores) and the people who live there seem remarkably like everyone else I know - except they have a lot more money than I do, drive better cars and have nicer houses. Don't judge people by how much money you think they have, just treat them like people first and you may be pleasantly surprised. If you can afford to live in the same town/neighborhoods that they do, then you have a lot more in common with them than you imagine.
I don't judge someone buy how much money I think they have. I judge them by how they treat other people. I too believed that people are all pretty much the same not matter where you go. Reality slapped me in the face when I moved to California. I can assure you that being able to afford a home on the same street as a dot com millionaire, in no way indicates that we have the same values.

Money isn't the issue. There are plenty of pretentious people that are not wealthy and vice a versa. I never asked if Chapel Hill was a wealthy community. I asked if it was pretentious.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:21 AM

... one thing many people won't acknowledge about Chapel hill ...

The area tends to be considerably more tolerant towards alternative life styles ...

Old 01-06-2007, 11:19 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
WOW! That's pretentious!
..............that's the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary