U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 AM
 
12 posts, read 22,937 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello,

My finance and I are 21 & 22 years old, in college and have great credit.
Most of our family is moving to the Orlando area so we were considering moving some where in between. The cost of tuition down there is the primary interest of ours. Even out of state is cheaper then most of Vermont's in state tuitions. I hear cost of living is less there to, is that true? From what I've read in other threads crime is a major issue. May there be better areas to live? Also my career field is IT mainly networking and troubleshooting hardware/software, my finance's is Languages/Business French and German. Is there a thriving job market for those two fields? We had talked about Wilimington too but from what I've read on this forum its seems like a bad fit. Any information at all would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 AM
 
1,082 posts, read 1,866,751 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by gykihrt View Post
Hello,

My finance and I are 21 & 22 years old, in college and have great credit.
Most of our family is moving to the Orlando area so we were considering moving some where in between. The cost of tuition down there is the primary interest of ours. Even out of state is cheaper then most of Vermont's in state tuitions. I hear cost of living is less there to, is that true? From what I've read in other threads crime is a major issue. May there be better areas to live? Also my career field is IT mainly networking and troubleshooting hardware/software, my finance's is Languages/Business French and German. Is there a thriving job market for those two fields? We had talked about Wilimington too but from what I've read on this forum its seems like a bad fit. Any information at all would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Well, first of all hello from a fellow Vermonter (Bellows Falls). I've been here 8 years and I can tell you I'll never go back. There are some great Universities down here regardless of cost. NC State is the best, of course. Wilmington is nice, but, the problem with smaller towns like that is you end up very limited in job opportunities. Raleigh/Cary and Charlotte are your best bets. One of the great things about NC is even if you don't end up working in your "field of choice", there are so many other roads you can take and still make a great living here.
As far as crime goes, if you stay out of Durham, Fayetteville, parts of Charlotte and Robeson County you'll be fine. Just remember, it's up to you to stay safe. Hope I've been of some help too you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Southeastern Cumberland County
982 posts, read 3,417,775 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
As far as crime goes, if you stay out of Durham, Fayetteville, parts of Charlotte and Robeson County you'll be fine. Just remember, it's up to you to stay safe. Hope I've been of some help too you.
Fayetteville is NOT that bad---this is coming from someone who has lived in the area for almost 37 years! It's given such a bad rap by people who have never even been there, just passed through, or unhappy military wives who never gave it a chance! Fayetteville is growing and changing, for the good, and is WAY past the "Fayettenam" era!

There are NICE parts of Robeson County as well (lived there for 2 years).

Just like anywhere else, you know where the bad neighborhoods are and avoid them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
747 posts, read 1,492,490 times
Reputation: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
As far as crime goes, if you stay out of Durham
The constant Durham bashing around here is really elitist and tiresome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gykihrt View Post
The cost of tuition down there is the primary interest of ours. Even out of state is cheaper then most of Vermont's in state tuitions.
We moved down from Bennington to Durham in 1999. You're absolutely right that the tuition here is very inexpensive. I laugh when I see people complain on TV about increases of a few hundred dollars. While you will not qualify for in-state tuition for a few years, when the time comes you'll find that a graduate degree at even a great school like UNC or State will be even more dirt cheap or possibly covered by your company. My wife's graduate degree in teaching from UNC was only ~$1100 per trimester. Duke is not so cheap.

As for your fields, IT should be a breeze, but I'm concerned about the German and French. I'm not sure where that would apply here but I'm sure there's something here for that in business.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 PM
 
12 posts, read 22,937 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks so much for the advice so far! I have a friend from work who's from Greensville he said its built up but no large city, and that IT jobs are in high demand. Is that true? Are there good colleges in that area? Or is it still best to stay close to Raleigh?

Hey NCOriolesfan being from Vermont what other obstacles do think I'll confront with the move?

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,113,070 times
Reputation: 835
ECU is in greenville. I would think that the raleigh area would provide much more job opportunities and educational institutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 11:53 PM
 
1,082 posts, read 1,866,751 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Fayetteville is NOT that bad---this is coming from someone who has lived in the area for almost 37 years! It's given such a bad rap by people who have never even been there, just passed through, or unhappy military wives who never gave it a chance! Fayetteville is growing and changing, for the good, and is WAY past the "Fayettenam" era!

There are NICE parts of Robeson County as well (lived there for 2 years).

Just like anywhere else, you know where the bad neighborhoods are and avoid them.
Well, I guess Fayetteville works for you. And, hey, that's cool. I have been there and I found it to be old (not in a good way), dirty and poor. I just don't think a young, educated couple moving down from Vermont would like it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 12:00 AM
 
1,082 posts, read 1,866,751 times
Reputation: 909
[quote=aldamon;3917314]The constant Durham bashing around here is really elitist and tiresome.



QUOTE]

Elitist and tiresome? The numbers don't lie, now do they? Durham has some very nice areas, but dude, read the papers. I just think it would be wrong to suggest to someone moving to the area to check out Durham. "Well, Mrs. Cleaver, aside from the murders, gangs and seemingly constant robberies, Durham is a great place to live".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 12:42 AM
 
3,021 posts, read 9,942,559 times
Reputation: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Elitist and tiresome? The numbers don't lie, now do they? Durham has some very nice areas, but dude, read the papers. I just think it would be wrong to suggest to someone moving to the area to check out Durham. "Well, Mrs. Cleaver, aside from the murders, gangs and seemingly constant robberies, Durham is a great place to live".
There are murders, gangs, and robberies in Raleigh, too. They also happen in Chapel Hill. Just today on the news I saw a story about scores and scores of burgleries that have taken place in Cary recently. Should we tell the OP to avoid all of these towns, too? Of course not.

No one is suggesting that the OP should move to the seedier areas of Durham, just as we wouldn't encourage anyone to move to the seedier areas of Raleigh. But as you just said, NCOriolesfan, there are some very nice areas of Durham. So why discount the whole town?


Back to the OP's original questions: IT is a very popular field here. There are jobs to be had, but there's also plenty of competition for them. Many of those jobs are with companies that are located in Research Triangle Park in southeastern Durham County. My husband works for a company located in RTP, so we live in southern Durham because of the short commute (usually about 10 minutes). A number of Duke & UNC professors & grad students live in this area, too, so since you're considering furthering your education, it might be a good option. However, if you're considering going to State in Raleigh, you could be better off in the eastern half of the Triangle.

Since you're still in college, take advantage of the opportunities available to you at your university. There are people in the advisement center who can assist you in your job hunt. Take advantage of their knowledge. And good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Southeastern Cumberland County
982 posts, read 3,417,775 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Well, I guess Fayetteville works for you. And, hey, that's cool. I have been there and I found it to be old (not in a good way), dirty and poor. I just don't think a young, educated couple moving down from Vermont would like it there.


Just so you know, my dh & I are mid-30's, 2 kids, and we're both college-educated. There ARE worse places to live than Fayetteville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top