U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 PM

331 posts, read 1,179,420 times

Advertisements

We are moving in 3 weeks and doing it all ourselves. Our dilema has been what happens when we get to our destination, i.e. unloading the truck. So you got a local moving company to come over and unload everything for you? Where are you located? Do most moving companies provide this kind of service. Sorry if I sound dumb but when I think of movers, I dont think of just asking them to unload what I just moved

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 11:53 PM

241 posts, read 805,718 times
If you are in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (Cary, Morrisville, etc etc) area... you can call Trosa.
Trosa Moving - Largest independent moving company in the Triangle

They are awesome!!! They moved all the things in our relocubes into the house... I just sat outside, sipping iced tea and pointed! (While feeling really guilty that they were running up and down stairs and I was just standing there).

They are reasonable, the money goes to a good cause and you won't have to unload your stuff in the humidity

They may also unpack for you... I'm not sure. Give them a call

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2008, 06:24 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,149,508 times
I second the idea of hiring hands to move the heavy stuff. We have been fortunate in that the last 4-5 moves (if not more!) have been corporate relos with generous packages and we didn't even have to take pictures off the wall! But last summer we moved from our house, which we had sold, into a rental and even though it was only 1/2 mile away, I'm really glad we paid someone to move the heavy stuff!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:08 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,578,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
We are moving in 3 weeks and doing it all ourselves. Our dilema has been what happens when we get to our destination, i.e. unloading the truck. So you got a local moving company to come over and unload everything for you? Where are you located? Do most moving companies provide this kind of service. Sorry if I sound dumb but when I think of movers, I dont think of just asking them to unload what I just moved

Thanks!
Look on craigslist too. Lots of college boys looking for summer work.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:02 AM

90 posts, read 236,387 times
Hi All,
I have been reading on this board for a while - but haven't been a contributing member so far. Hopefully I will be soon
We are a family of 3, (DH, yours truly and an 18 month old) moving from CA (surprise!) to the Raleigh/Durham/Cary area (double surprise!!) during the 3rd week of July.
Fortunately my husband's company has offered us a relocation package. This is the first move for us where we will have a moving company and of course I am plagued with questions.
Do they pack everything as in even stuff from the cupboards and should they?
What should I keep in mind while they pack the big stuff - sofa's, a 7 foot grandfather clock etc?
Anything and everything else to keep in mind...
Thanks in advance for all your guidance and answers.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,675 times
We are moving out to Wake Forest from California too!!! Leaving in 3 1/2 weeks.
Sooo excited.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 AM

55 posts, read 156,065 times
We are leaving Kansas for NC TOMORROW!!
My biggest suggestion if you are doing a Do It Yourself Move....get the right size truck!! We rented a 17 footer. It is supposed to be big enough for 2-3 bedrooms plus appliances. Now we have to rent a trailer too!! We have a car, SUV, 17 foot truck and a trailer! Help!!
I can't wait for this all to be over.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,419,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellie06 View Post
We are leaving Kansas for NC TOMORROW!!
My biggest suggestion if you are doing a Do It Yourself Move....get the right size truck!! We rented a 17 footer. It is supposed to be big enough for 2-3 bedrooms plus appliances. Now we have to rent a trailer too!! We have a car, SUV, 17 foot truck and a trailer! Help!!
I can't wait for this all to be over.
Egad! That doesn't sound like fun. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,419,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
I second the idea of hiring hands to move the heavy stuff. We have been fortunate in that the last 4-5 moves (if not more!) have been corporate relos with generous packages and we didn't even have to take pictures off the wall! But last summer we moved from our house, which we had sold, into a rental and even though it was only 1/2 mile away, I'm really glad we paid someone to move the heavy stuff!
The frustrating thing about moving is that it's not appreciably easier to move nearby versus moving hundreds of miles away. You still need to pack everything up carefully, empty out cabinets and drawers so you can lug the items down the hall. In most cases you still need to disassemble and then reassemble the bunk beds and queen size beds because they won't fit through any door frames. And you still need to do most of the scut like canceling utilities and setting them up in your new residence. About the only thing that's "better" is that you can take a few things over before or after the main move, if that's something you really want to do, and you don't need to worry so much about forgetting things (if you still have access to your old residence after you move.) And of course you don't need to travel as far. Otherwise, the pain level is similarly high.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 AM

55 posts, read 156,065 times
One of our biggest dilemmas right now (besides our truck being too small) is trying to get all of our belongings out of our rental and clean it SPOTLESS so we can get our deposit back. That is another thing that makes a local move so much easier, you can always go back to your old residence and clean.
Oh....and we did a bad job of finishing perishables. We have a lot of half eaten food that we are going to have to chuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary