Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
MEM MEM started this thread

123 posts, read 405,799 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are moving to Cary in a few weeks and my brain is just fried

To those that have done this before - do you have any tips or advice on how to make this move go seamlessly?

Any must haves or must dos? I feel like I am forgetting things...

Any suggestions are appreciated - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:46 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,226 times
Default Hi

Where are you moving from? We are leaving in 2 weeks and 3 days from California, driving everything out. So much to think about!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Mark all of your boxes with some type of code, and then have a sheet of paper which lists each box code and the details of what is in each box. Much easier than having 10 boxes labeled "Kitchen" and having to look through all 10 to find the spatula once you arrive.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:23 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
My number one suggestion is that you make sure that the water and power are turned on at your new home before you arrive. You don't want to spend even one day without plumbing. Trust me. I learned this the hard way.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
Hi all,

We are moving to Cary in a few weeks and my brain is just fried

To those that have done this before - do you have any tips or advice on how to make this move go seamlessly?

Any must haves or must dos? I feel like I am forgetting things...

Any suggestions are appreciated - thanks!
I like the idea of doing a Google maps search before you move and printing out the directions from your new place. Type in your new address and search for nearby places you will want / need to visit when you first move here like take out pizza joints, drug stores, coffee places, hardware stores ect....

When I first moved here my cable wasn't hooked up for a couple of days so I didn’t have access to the internet and I didn't know where anything was for the first few days.

It is a minor suggestion, but it helps to have this info accessible when you first get here.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
I made a moving notebook with tabs in it and organized myself that way. Half of the book was for moving out of Oregon and half was for moving into NC.

One thing I recommend is that you carry important records w/ you, not on the moving truck. Things like birth certificates and ssn cards and any docs that you will need readily when you get here... like docs to close on a mortgage or rent an appartment.

My friend who is in the navy and moves every 2-3 years says that the last box that goes on the truck and the first one that comes off for him always contains: electric screw driver, coffee maker w/ filters and coffee, boombox w/ music to listen too, box knife, a book to read, a roll of tp, sheets & a couple of towels, and any other tools that you might need to put furniture back together.

I really empathetize with you. This time last year I was in the same spot and my brain was so fried. Try to do something relaxing even if it's only for 15 minutes.

And think about buying a GPS when you get here. That's the one thing I regret not getting. And now w/ gas at $4 it will pay for itself.

Good luck!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
One thing I recommend is that you carry important records w/ you, not on the moving truck. Things like birth certificates and ssn cards and any docs that you will need readily when you get here... like docs to close on a mortgage or rent an appartment.

My friend who is in the navy and moves every 2-3 years says that the last box that goes on the truck and the first one that comes off for him always contains: electric screw driver, coffee maker w/ filters and coffee, boombox w/ music to listen too, box knife, a book to read, a roll of tp, sheets & a couple of towels, and any other tools that you might need to put furniture back together.
That suggestion is the best in my opinion. Besides the tp, don't forget paper plates, cups, utensils just to make a quick sandwich or something. Also don't forget the shower curtain (unless your shower has doors). Make the boxes say kitchen #1 or #2 etc...and make like #1 the high priority box so you know that's the one to unpack first.

Always carry a change of clothes with you and that important document. Anything real expensive either take a picture or videotape before packing in case of insurance claims you can prove it's state before the move.

Don't forget to cancel the mail, paper, utilities before leaving - and have it all started on the NC end the day you intend to make it here.

Good luck

Old 05-29-2008, 08:29 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
On a different note - we moved here 6 weeks ago, driving down from New England. We arrived in the area around midnight. The highways here are VERY dark and we had some difficulty navigating. I would recommend gauging your trip so you arrive in daylight.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:04 PM
MEM MEM started this thread

123 posts, read 405,799 times
thank you so much everyone! We are coming from Mass and are still planning the trip down. Our movers estimate 3 days but who knows. We have friends to visit along the way but with a 4 yr old and 2 yr old it's probably not going to be tons of fun Will aim for daylight though, thanks!

We are moving into an apartment initially (in Cary Park) so I think all we have to hook up is the cable/internet, and electric. I know the drivers license and insurance have to come soon too.

Most of our stuff is already in storage and will be moved into storage in Cary so at least that's done. We will try to take the most important stuff with us in the cars. I just can't believe we are actually doing this

Thanks again!!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:10 PM

241 posts, read 934,846 times
Ugh... we feel your pain.

We just moved from California to Cary about 4 weeks ago.

Very good info from everyone! Here's my 2 cents:

1. If you think you are running out of time and everything is piling up and you are still at your old residence, get out the phone book. Call your trash company and get a dumpster. You are now going to throw out more than you ever thought you could. Call the nearest maid service and have them clean the place for you. Oh, and don't forget to get an oil change, too!
2. Make friends with your nearest UPS store. They shipped the boxes of stuff we didn't fit in the car (I overestimated what we could fit!)
3. Keep your important papers with you. Including rabies/vet papers for your animals and any info you might have on your old residence. You never know if the new tenants will have a problem and will need your assistance!
4. Have a charger for your cell phone in the car. I turned on all of our water and power from the road. And, have all those numbers with you
5. Have a GPS now... for the road. It helps SO much. Our GPS even has restaurants, hotels and gas stored in the unit. If we were tired and needed a place to stay on the road, it found a spot for us.
6. Air mattress with blankets, pillows etc. Just in case you get there before your bed does (or stay at a hotel!)
7. AAA maps and books on hotels in the area or use that GPS
8. Try not to stress. Moving is terrible... but just know the chaos really subsides when you get here. Don't give yourself a schedule that is too rigid... just go with the flow if you can
9. If the moving company isn't unloading you or you moved it all yourself, have someone else unload for you! We called Trosa and they took 1 hour to get all of the heavy stuff where it needed to be (upstairs, etc). For under $200.00 (ours was even cheaper) you won't have to lift anything!
10. Try not to unpack everything right away. Do a few boxes an evening... it will get done.
11. Don't blame your spouse
12. If you have a home business, moving is an expense... keep all the receipts down to the packing tape and gas!

Deep breath, good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary