Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 11:32 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Nothing brilliant about me. (standardized testing has proven it during my school years)
Yeah, thanks I already got that.

Quote:
No solution from my end either if you'd take a second to re-read and digest it.
Wait, what? You demand a solution from me but you can't even pretend to have one? Sorry, life doesn't work that way.

Quote:
noticed you quickly washed your hands of the blood of dead children. Sleep well my friend in your bed of righteousness.
You noticed that how? I've simply decided its no longer possible to sit quietly by and watch this unending tragedy take place without decent people speaking up and doing what they can to effect change.

Quote:
solution is complex....... People are involved, not a measurable nor easily solved problem. Take off the blinders and look at all sides of the issue.
No duh. Of course its complex. You are the master of stating the painfully obvious. All problems, regardless of complexity, are solvable. And at the very least, we need to attempt to find a solution to this horrific situation. Just because its a complex problem doesn't mean we can or should ignore it.

Quote:
is not a which came first, the chicken or the egg conundrum. The answer is clearly PEOPLE...... they came first, they invented guns, they use guns. Guns just lay there, either on a closet shelf, nightstand drawer, or behind lock and key/combination as they should be.
Congrats! Just when I thought you couldn't be any more vacuous you surprise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Exactly....it is a very complex issue, but you'll never convince them that passing more gun control laws alone will not fix this because they refuse to look at the bigger picture.
More? What the heck are you talking about? We have the most permissive gun laws on the planet, and the most guns and most gun deaths. I'm sorry its too complex for you to understand, but some of us are ready to do something about. And one day you will have to defend your decision to not do so.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:37 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Yeah, thanks I already got that.

Wait, what? You demand a solution from me but you can't even pretend to have one? Sorry, life doesn't work that way.

You noticed that how? I've simply decided its no longer possible to sit quietly by and watch this unending tragedy take place without decent people speaking up and doing what they can to effect change.

No duh. Of course its complex. You are the master of stating the painfully obvious. All problems, regardless of complexity, are solvable. And at the very least, we need to attempt to find a solution to this horrific situation. Just because its a complex problem doesn't mean we can or should ignore it.

Congrats! Just when I thought you couldn't be any more vacuous you surprise me.

You have proven you are incapable of having a conversation about something of importance without resorting to insults and innuendos.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:45 AM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
Quote:
All I hear in the immediate knee-jerk reaction is lets take their guns away, lets sue the gun manufactures, etc. Mental health issues and video game violence is seldom mentioned if ever. It's always "the guns".
Bold for emphasis

These relatively weak associations highlight how mental illnesses in themselves rarely cause violent behavior and are not reliable predictors of multiple-victim gun crimes.16,20

https://journals.lww.com/hrpjournal/...ture_of.6.aspx

Numerous scientific studies have not found a link between violent video games and mass shootings, but some politicians and media coverage often cite violent video games as a potential cause, particularly for school shootings.

https://www.apa.org/news/press/relea...hool-shootings

Old 03-31-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Well if so then they have a very poor way of communicating that they understand the big picture. All I hear in the immediate knee-jerk reaction is lets take their guns away, lets sue the gun manufactures, etc. Mental health issues and video game violence is seldom mentioned if ever. It's always "the guns".
Immediate knee jerk reaction?! WTF? The killings have been going on for years and years, and yet nothing is done. I'm all for more mental health treatment, full mental health screening before being allowed to buy a gun, and anything else that bring this tragedy until control. But people like you won't consider doing anything. I'm sick of it and its past time for all good and decent people to stand up and demand action.

Quote:
The media also needs to stop making martyrs out of these killers that gives them the national publicity attention they desperately seek which can lead to more copy-cat monkey see monkey do mass killings, but no one ever thinks about that.
Ah yes, the old "media is the problem" argument. smh So ridiculous.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
You have proven you are incapable of having a conversation about something of importance without resorting to insults and innuendos.
Cool, put me on ignore. You're really good at ignoring things.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:09 PM

360 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
LOL, at least I can see and acknowledge that there is a problem. No one knows what the "solution" is, but only the morally bankrupt can sit here and advocate doing nothing.

An assault rifle ban would be a good start, imo.
Except that there is no such thing as an assault rifle. Go ahead, I would love to hear you attempt to define it. Spoken like someone who truly knows nothing about firearms.

Banning guns will work exactly as well as banning drugs. The cartels are cheering this on, for certain.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:34 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Except that there is no such thing as an assault rifle. Go ahead, I would love to hear you attempt to define it. Spoken like someone who truly knows nothing about firearms.

Banning guns will work exactly as well as banning drugs. The cartels are cheering this on, for certain.
In what context? In the context of

"The AR-15 is not an assault rifle?" OR

"There is no such thing as an assault rifle at all"?

If the former, agreed. If the latter....ummm the Grandaddy of them all, the StG-44, who is 80 years old, and all of the children around the world it has inspired, would like a word. Because there are absolutely, 100%, no questions asked, such things as Assault Rifles. Sturmgewehr is literally "Assault Rifle" in German. And there are definable characteristics of it; selective fire, medium sized/powered cartridge and a removable magazine.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:51 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
In what context? In the context of

"The AR-15 is not an assault rifle?" OR

"There is no such thing as an assault rifle at all"?

If the former, agreed. If the latter....ummm the Grandaddy of them all, the StG-44, who is 80 years old, and all of the children around the world it has inspired, would like a word. Because there are absolutely, 100%, no questions asked, such things as Assault Rifles. Sturmgewehr is literally "Assault Rifle" in German. And there are definable characteristics of it; selective fire, medium sized/powered cartridge and a removable magazine.
It just becomes semantics, rather than intelligent conversation.

Yeah, it grates on me when folks lean on "assault rifles" because the term is such a trigger for gun nuts to derail conversation.

It's akin to the imbecilic debate point: "America is not a democracy. It is a constitutional republic." Diversionary, not intelligent.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:56 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It just becomes semantics, rather than intelligent conversation.

Yeah, it grates on me when folks lean on "assault rifles" because the term is such a trigger for gun nuts to derail conversation.
Oh I agree. They have become a form factor thing. "it looks like one, so it must be"

But to say there is no such thing as an Assault Rifle at all is laughably incorrect. The US Military has a definition for them FFS.

StG-44, AK-47 (and its offshoots), M-16 (and its off-shoots) are all Assault Rifles. More power than a pistol, less power than a battle rifle, Selective Fire (Semi/Full), and box magazine fed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary