U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:31 AM

15 posts, read 36,913 times

Advertisements

Thanks for recommending Southern Season. I will definetly visit it, sounds like a very interesting one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
If you're at all interested in gourmet food, you simply must visit A Southern Season. It's not cheap, but it's a very very happy place for foodies.
A Southern Season, award-winning source for gourmet gift baskets and fancy foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 AM

718 posts, read 2,665,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInRaleigh View Post
In that case Chapel Hill is out of the list.
From some posts it sounds Cary is a costlier area. Is that area also too costly for a decent new Singly Family House (new one) under 250K?

Up to 250,000 in Cary will get you approx 1800 - 2200 sq feet in a older single family home neighborhood. If you can stretch to 300,000 - 325,000 maybe a new or newer home in Amberly with about the same sq footage. Not sure about trails or neighborhood pools in some of the older neighborhoods. You may have better luck in that price range in Apex or in North Raleigh. I would do a search on MLS and see some pics of what the homes are like in that price range.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:30 AM

15 posts, read 36,913 times
slynn, My price range is 300K. I will definetely check out Amberlea. Its in Cary, hurray!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Up to 250,000 in Cary will get you approx 1800 - 2200 sq feet in a older single family home neighborhood. If you can stretch to 300,000 - 325,000 maybe a new or newer home in Amberly with about the same sq footage. Not sure about trails or neighborhood pools in some of the older neighborhoods. You may have better luck in that price range in Apex or in North Raleigh. I would do a search on MLS and see some pics of what the homes are like in that price range.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 AM

5 posts, read 19,724 times
Red face We moved to Raleigh in September 2007

We are in a Raleigh zip code but we are right in between Knightdale and Clayton, so we don't have to go to Raleigh once we come home in the evenings. Our neighborhood is Kings Grant and all the lots are about .69 acres. The prices ranges from 160's on up. I think it's a great neighborhood. We don't have any neighborhood restrictions per se, but of course everyone tries to take care of their homes. I do work in Cary so I have a bit of a drive in the morning. But it usually only takes about 30 minutes on a normal day. It's a good combination of being in the "country" without being TOO far away from civilization.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,236,648 times
Default Cary is affordable -- you just need to look. . .

Quote:
From some posts it sounds Cary is a costlier area. Is that area also too costly for a decent new Singly Family House (new one) under 250K?
Not at all. Cary has many lovely established homes in nice areas. One thing I especially like about older neighborhoods is the mature trees and yards -- so pleasant to drive through, and adds quite a bit of ambiance to the area.

Google 'affordable housing in Cary' and see what comes up for you. You might be pleasantly surprised. I like the laid-back approach to living here, myself -- what I think developers had in mind when the notions of 'suburbia' began. Try getting on the Cary Parkway, at one end, and driving the length of it to the other, making note of the neighborhoods as you travel. The roads are well-marked, traffic is light much of the day, and you can easily get a feel for the older as well as the newer Cary.

When you want to check-out old Cary, take Chatham Street, from the Parkway, headed east, and it will carry you into the heart of old downtown Cary, which is quite charming. You might want to pop-into the drugstore for a soda, even.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,158,487 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. It depends upon what you are willing to do with a home once you buy it. We're looking almost exclusively in Chapel Hill and though the $250K price point is tough, there *are* things out there. But then, we usually purchase smaller homes that need a LOT of TLC and put the money into expanding and updating them as we have it. What we wind up with is a space that works for US (since we designed it), a kitchen that works for US (since we designed it), all for much less money than buying a newer or updated home.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,023,407 times
You were asking about North Raleigh - A thing you don't want to miss would be Falls Lake.
There are access points on Six Forks Rd as well as Falls of the Neuse Rd.

A pretty drive that has hills and trees and open spaces as well as neighborhoods would be the following: Take 540 to Creedmoor road, go north on Creedmoor. Take a right on Norwood. Take a left on Six Forks - stay straight and go on Possum Track (don't mention the road name to your wife!). Veer right at the Baptist Church and stay on the road - this passes over the lake. (There is a pull off at the lake & you can hike the 'white trail' for a bit if you want) Take a right on Raven Ridge - this passes over the lake again. When it comes to a T, take a left on Falls of the Neuse. You will pass the Bedford and River Run subdivisions in case you want to take a look. Take a left into the park at the dam of Falls of the Neuse - you can drive across the dam or park and stretch your legs for a bit. Another place to park is at the base of the dam before you cross the bridge at the Falls. Continue on your journey by continuing North on Falls of the Neuse. If you keep going straight, you will end up on Rte 98 (and takes you right past Wakefield). You can then take a left on Rte 98 and travel on it until you get to Creedmoor road or you could take a right and go explore Wake Forest. In Wake Forest, there is a cute old area, with cute shops and a 'tea room'. Olde English Tea Room & Gift Shoppe; 219 S White St; Wake Forest -

Google map the areas I have talked about and you'll enjoy the drive. There are neighborhoods in the price range described - if you do an MLS search on the zipcodes you are driving through, you will see bunches of houses for sale in your price range. You will also see pricey subdivisions mixed in which is nice when they do house tours in the fall! It is all close enough to 540 to be useful, but not incredibly congested either. Another subdivision that is already built out so there is no more construction - but is new enough to be nice includes Falls River. That can be accessed off of Durant Rd between Falls of Neuse and Capital. They have a mix of housing so they have a bunch of price ranges and a nice pool. Tons of kids and sidewalks and walking trails.

I don't know what your timing is, but usually there is a parade of homes tour over several weekends in October - all over wake county. It gives everyone the ability to wander through newly built homes without a real estate agent and get a sense of all the new neighborhoods and builders and new design features, etc. If you are looking or interested in the area, I would recommend doing that.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM

488 posts, read 1,376,746 times
If you want kid friendly and walking trails check out Heritage in Wake Forest.

It is probably one of the most child/family friendly communities in the area. Some things to check out in Wake Forest would be the Factory, Falls Lake, The trails, playgrounds, fishing pond, swimming pools, etc while visiting Heritage, the downtown area of Wake Forest, then drive out 98 to Six Forks and check out the hiking trails around fall lake.

I would also check out Beford.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 AM

1,364 posts, read 5,452,085 times
Favorite Neighborhoods -

Brightleaf at the Park - Durham (200-500k)
Heritage - Wake Forest - 250k (?) up to a lot

Least favorite neighborhoods -

Anything that is an all vinyl community (no mix of brick/stone) and there will be a lot of those in your price range - I would avoid the communities in SE Raleigh off of Poole road as while the homes are nice, some of the drives to get to them are questionable and won't make you guys feel good about the area (trailer parks, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary