U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:31 AM

88 posts, read 361,376 times

Advertisements

Thinking of buying a hummingbird feeder to hang on the back patio for the kids to watch... but I don't recall seeing a single hummingbird in the 13 months we've lived here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 AM

1,840 posts, read 5,125,454 times
We've got half a dozen zooming around on a daily basis, and had them all summer last year as well. If you put one out one they will eventually find you.

Lots of colorful flowers on the patio will help attract them as well (lilies, gerbera daisies, hibiscus plant/vine).

Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM

3,021 posts, read 9,918,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbabies View Post
Thinking of buying a hummingbird feeder to hang on the back patio for the kids to watch... but I don't recall seeing a single hummingbird in the 13 months we've lived here.
Perhaps that's because you don't have a hummingbird feeder.

Yes, there are hummingbirds in this area. In my experience, they tend to return to old feeders that they used in years past, so you may not attract too many during your first summer, but you'll get more in time. Also, I would suggest that you hang more than one feeder, preferably around the corner from one another. Some male hummingbirds can be quite territorial so the more options you give them, the happier they will be.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 AM

92 posts, read 331,720 times
Smile I prefer my Hummer pint-sized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
LOL!

We have three hummingbird feeders and the little guys have always provided my family with great entertainment! They are very territorial and have little battles just feet from us! We sit on the back porch and watch them - they are not the least bit afraid of us. We have found them to be truly Summer birds. They are present from about Memorial Day through Labor Day - almost to the day - then they pack up their bags and head South.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 AM

7,694 posts, read 12,838,929 times
I had alot of hummingbirds at my $5.99 feeder for years
until the neighbor behind me put out a ritzy-ditzy,high end,
fancy feeder!! So.. I went out and found one even neater...

We also had "yummiest bird food" wars!!

It was fun to get the kids to spy to see
what the other was feeding!!

Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 AM

892 posts, read 2,790,909 times
I was a little late getting our feeder ready so a little hummer came up to my office window just a flittering asking where I was hiding his usual summertime fare. A hummingbird feeder is a must have!

Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM

8,263 posts, read 21,803,020 times
I've seen one everyday this week! They love the fuschias and petunias!

Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
Wow, I've seen tons, just this week!

Put up a feeder, and they'll find you. BTW, just sugar water is fine, you don't need special "food" and you don't even need the red food coloring.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:36 PM

5,463 posts, read 5,781,296 times
NC State has a good collection of info if you're interested in reading more :

Gardening Note #23 Hummingbird Home Page (http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/cumberland/hotline/gardenincumb/gardennote23.html - broken link)
Attracting Birds

Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 PM

88 posts, read 361,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Hardy har har. I'm workin' on it!

I just bought a couple of simple feeders. One hanging feeder, one window feeder with fakey flowers on it. We'll see which one they like best and hopefully we can get some friends for the summer.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary