Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 06:53 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
BoSox 15 is correct on all points. To quote Jimmy Carter, life is not always fair.
That was said long long before Jimmy Carter

Old 05-17-2023, 06:58 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot002 View Post
Last Thursday I was unfairly fired from my job. The manager told me to attend a meeting with the director. But in the meeting she terminated my contract only by herself. There's no HR present in the meeting. She took away my badge and laptop illegally. IMO this is an unfair firing and totally nonsense. She was the worst manager I've ever seen in my entire life and she wanted to cover her fault, so she chose the way to terminate my employment.

Could you help me with this situation and recommend a lawyer specialized in wrongful termination? Thanks in advance.
I'm not an attorney, but I am an employer in the state of North Carolina (small business owner). Wrongful termination in NC usually requires proof that you were terminated for the following reasons....

✓Your ethnicity (preferably a minority)
✓Your gender (preferably a woman)
✓Your gender identity (preferably a non-convicing transgender)
✓Your sexual orientation (preferably some harassment too)
✓Your age (preferably being "too old")

"She was the worst manager I've seen in my entire life" would make most people (including a judge) wonder why you weren't actively working on firing her by finding another job. The fact that present-day employers are all aggressively seeking help makes your case worse in my opinion. Again, I'm NOT an attorney, but I'm no stranger to how most attorneys think. If a case seems shaky (like yours) I'm asking for a $5,000 retainer at minimum so that I can get paid for wasting my time.

Think about this for one second. If she was the worst manager ever; then how come you're not still employed with your best manager ever? "My terrible manager" is just a horrible and weak way to start your case. Now, if your manager became terrible AFTER you turned down her request to date you (and you have texts or emails as proof) then you'll definitely find an attorney who will take your case for free and you'll only pay a third of the winnings.

My point here is that many people think that it's all about the attorney, but in the vast majority of instances it's all about your individual case (and/or your willingness and ability to pay a large retainer).

Old 05-17-2023, 06:59 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
I would definitely keep this whole saga out of your next job interview.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:09 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot002 View Post
You have understanding problem, not me.
Well it sounds like you already know everything, so why are you asking for opinions?

You don't have one single person here, or in the employment forum, who thinks you have a valid case.

This thread is five pages long and you have yet to list one single employment law or regulation that was violated. The only two "arguments" you have are:

1.) My former boss is "not nice"
2.) HR was not present at my termination

Neither hold up in court and no lawyer is going to take this "case".

Old 05-17-2023, 07:09 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Probably will need to 'splain the short tenure to prospective employers.
"They done me wrong" won't open many doors.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:11 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
99.9% chance he/she brings it up in the job interview.

There are just people in this world who, regardless of unbiased opinion to the contrary, will never stop fighting because they believe they were "right".

I was interviewing a candidate and asked the generic question "Why are you looking to leave your current position?" to which she responded "I don't like my boss". That resume went right into the trash.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:23 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Probably will need to 'splain the short tenure to prospective employers.
"They done me wrong" won't open many doors.
Just leave it off and deal with the gap in employment, which is apparently not that big.

PP who made the point about companies doing just about anything to get workers in the door makes a very good point as well.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:14 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Just leave it off and deal with the gap in employment, which is apparently not that big.

PP who made the point about companies doing just about anything to get workers in the door makes a very good point as well.
I don't recommend this because a potential employer will find out anyway when they run a background check and then the candidate has to explain why they didn't disclose their last job position and/or termination which may be viewed as a form of intentional dishonesty instead of just telling the truth up front. But I don't mean in the form of "I was fired because my boss was a terrible manager".

Old 05-17-2023, 08:18 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I don't recommend this because a potential employer will find out anyway when they run a background check and then the candidate has to explain why they didn't disclose their last job position and/or termination which may be viewed as a form of intentional dishonesty instead of just telling the truth up front. But I don't mean in the form of "I was fired because my boss was a terrible manager".

Applicants need to grasp "marketing and sales" of capabilities, not personal "Sturm und Drang" drama.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:38 AM

902 posts, read 1,103,789 times
so far 5 pages of amateur legal advice mostly telling the OP she has no case and not even 1 recommendation for an attorney that specializes in this type of law?

Can anyone here recommend a particular attorney or law firm here in the triangle that specializes in this type of law?

I only ask as this information may be useful to fellow CD users searching the threads for such info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary