U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,667 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are looking to relocate to N.C. His mom lives in Morrisville and we really like that its a family friendly area. We were both born and raised on Long Island and we are both just terrified of not being able to fit in. We want to buy a home that we can grow into once we start having children but we've heard that the school situation in Wake County is a nightmare with over crowding all year round school. We have been looking at homes in the Durham (South point area). We were wondering if anyone had some advice as to what zip code or area to look into as far as schools go. We were also wondering about property taxes. We come from NY where property taxes at a minimum are 10,000 dollars a year. In addition one of our big concerns is putting a pool in our yard. We have never been in a home without our own pool. I've heard that this HOA can be very pesty when it comes to adding pools. We definitional have a lot to learn..so any information would be great.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
 
718 posts, read 2,664,948 times
Reputation: 306
Your best best would be to use the search function and search for topics you are interested in. All of the issues are discussed at length in numerous posts. I am also from LI and have been here 6 years. I'm sure you will find a area that suits you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 06:21 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 23,503,930 times
Reputation: 4122
We lived in Oceanside years ago.

Taxes are much lower.

HOA's can be ugly but some areas are older and don't have them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Clayton
431 posts, read 1,189,430 times
Reputation: 158
Hello,

Fellow long islander here.....We're looking into moving to Clayton in the next year.....

We have 3 school age boys so the schooling issues are of a concern for us.....We were originally looking in Wake county but chose against it once we learned more of the issues....For some its not a problem, but when we are coming from an area where busing and year round isnt an issue it becomes an issue so we chose Johnston Cnty specifically Clayton.....

We were very happy with what we saw on our trip down....

In regards to the pool issue...I have the same concerns......we have never been in a home without our own pool.......We actually found a beautiful home in a great area with a great homeowners/community but you are not allowed your own pvt pool.

If you are looking to buy in a subdevelopment w/a homeowners you need to check each individually some even though they have a pool onsite will allow you to put one in should the lot size accomodate one....but you need to make sure prior to your purchase.....don't sign anything until you find out all of the covenants....this will cover your butt....It seems that pvt pools arent that popular down there and the responses I've gotten is that they are looked at as more of a hassel than an asset.....I've been told that you won't really make your $ back on it in a resale should you be putting in an inground pool....but we wouldnt be looking for that anyways so its not a concern of ours since this will be our "early retirement home"

We are still researching and weighing our options and will search more on our next trip down..........

We are in West Islip now and can't wait to get out!!!!!!!

Good luck with your search......
-Suzanne
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 23,503,930 times
Reputation: 4122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
Hello,

Fellow long islander here.....We're looking into moving to Clayton in the next year.....

We have 3 school age boys so the schooling issues are of a concern for us.....We were originally looking in Wake county but chose against it once we learned more of the issues....For some its not a problem, but when we are coming from an area where busing and year round isnt an issue it becomes an issue so we chose Johnston Cnty specifically Clayton.....

We were very happy with what we saw on our trip down....

In regards to the pool issue...I have the same concerns......we have never been in a home without our own pool.......We actually found a beautiful home in a great area with a great homeowners/community but you are not allowed your own pvt pool.

If you are looking to buy in a subdevelopment w/a homeowners you need to check each individually some even though they have a pool onsite will allow you to put one in should the lot size accomodate one....but you need to make sure prior to your purchase.....don't sign anything until you find out all of the covenants....this will cover your butt....It seems that pvt pools arent that popular down there and the responses I've gotten is that they are looked at as more of a hassel than an asset.....I've been told that you won't really make your $ back on it in a resale should you be putting in an inground pool....but we wouldnt be looking for that anyways so its not a concern of ours since this will be our "early retirement home"

We are still researching and weighing our options and will search more on our next trip down..........

We are in West Islip now and can't wait to get out!!!!!!!

Good luck with your search......
-Suzanne
Pools can make insurance an issue because of liability.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Clayton
431 posts, read 1,189,430 times
Reputation: 158
Yeh but honestly how much would you add on to your homeowners? I can't see it being much.....unless NC has some crazy rules against pvt pools I havent heard about........It would absolutely be worth the additional fee should I find the right home with the right sized lot....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 07:18 PM
 
9,558 posts, read 26,432,745 times
Reputation: 9679
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
Hello,

Fellow long islander here.....We're looking into moving to Clayton in the next year.....

We have 3 school age boys so the schooling issues are of a concern for us.....We were originally looking in Wake county but chose against it once we learned more of the issues....For some its not a problem, but when we are coming from an area where busing and year round isnt an issue it becomes an issue so we chose Johnston Cnty specifically Clayton.....

We were very happy with what we saw on our trip down....

In regards to the pool issue...I have the same concerns......we have never been in a home without our own pool.......We actually found a beautiful home in a great area with a great homeowners/community but you are not allowed your own pvt pool.

If you are looking to buy in a subdevelopment w/a homeowners you need to check each individually some even though they have a pool onsite will allow you to put one in should the lot size accomodate one....but you need to make sure prior to your purchase.....don't sign anything until you find out all of the covenants....this will cover your butt....It seems that pvt pools arent that popular down there and the responses I've gotten is that they are looked at as more of a hassel than an asset.....I've been told that you won't really make your $ back on it in a resale should you be putting in an inground pool....but we wouldnt be looking for that anyways so its not a concern of ours since this will be our "early retirement home"

We are still researching and weighing our options and will search more on our next trip down..........

We are in West Islip now and can't wait to get out!!!!!!!

Good luck with your search......
-Suzanne
Good Post. I agree. All HOAs are not the same and the covenants should be examined on a case by case basis.

Some HOAs are very loose while others are quite restricitve. You would be surprised how different they can be from one neighborhood to another!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 PM
 
103 posts, read 69,068 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3702 View Post
My fiancee and I are looking to relocate to N.C. His mom lives in Morrisville and we really like that its a family friendly area. We were both born and raised on Long Island and we are both just terrified of not being able to fit in. We want to buy a home that we can grow into once we start having children but we've heard that the school situation in Wake County is a nightmare with over crowding all year round school. We have been looking at homes in the Durham (South point area). We were wondering if anyone had some advice as to what zip code or area to look into as far as schools go. We were also wondering about property taxes. We come from NY where property taxes at a minimum are 10,000 dollars a year. In addition one of our big concerns is putting a pool in our yard. We have never been in a home without our own pool. I've heard that this HOA can be very pesty when it comes to adding pools. We definitional have a lot to learn..so any information would be great.

For Durham, look in the 27713 zip code. That is the hottest zip code in Durham and it is very family friendly.

Durham taxes are high when compared to other towns/cities in this area. Around $1.42%, which is about 45% higher than surrounding areas. However, that is far less than you are paying now.

HOA's are not all the same, even though some people think they are. They are also not run by the town, which is what some people think. You should be able to find what you want.

Also, the Wake County School situation is not as bad as some people hype it up to be. There certainly are some issues now, that may not have been there before, but those things are being worked out. The school system actually had less growth in population than predicted. You will probably have more choices of good schools in Wake county and will have to do a little more work in Durham to make sure you pick a good one, which they do have. Jordan High School in Durham is an excellent school, for example.

Also, fitting in is not a problem here, for anyone.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Clayton
431 posts, read 1,189,430 times
Reputation: 158
Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Good Post. I agree. All HOAs are not the same and the covenants should be examined on a case by case basis.

Some HOAs are very loose while others are quite restricitve. You would be surprised how different they can be from one neighborhood to another!

My new motto is "Learn as you go" lol

many things are the same but plenty are different.....so I'm trying to educate myself on as much as possible prior to the move.....(which can't be soon enough)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2008, 06:17 AM
 
9,680 posts, read 23,503,930 times
Reputation: 4122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
Yeh but honestly how much would you add on to your homeowners? I can't see it being much.....unless NC has some crazy rules against pvt pools I havent heard about........It would absolutely be worth the additional fee should I find the right home with the right sized lot....
Might not be the cost. You may just be turned down.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top