Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 02:13 PM

855 posts, read 450,499 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Our family of four with two young children are relocating from NY. House is officially on the market. The triangle is one of two markets we are considering at this point after considerable research. The other is in NorCal but that brings a host of positive/negatives.

A real concern is lack of inventory right now no matter the market. We had zeroed in on Cary/Apex as the ideal location. But given low inventory I would like to seek suggestions on other areas folks think would be good for a young family.

Education is extremely important. Outdoor activities. Trails to run/hike/bike. Proximity to restaurants/shopping- a reason Cary/Apex sticks out. Don't mind the burbs at all and a family friendly neighborhood with other young families. Don't want to be too rural. I've read many mixed opinions on Garner as an example. Some say it's beautiful and great value. Others say it's too rural.

Looking 4-5 bed, 2-3 bath. 600-700K.

Holly Springs seems perhaps the next best option.

Fuquay has been suggested by our realtor but seems too small, too remote for a young family.

Wake Forest on the other side of Raleigh? More inventory. But appears the real investment/improvements are on the West side of Raleigh. Not near a Costco/Whole Foods. Fewer family options/activities compared to Apex/Cary.

The southern 540 loop obviously can change things in the near future.

Durham/Chapel Hill- Seems better for singles or couples without kids.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2023, 02:20 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Where will you and/or your spouse be working?

Also you mention education first, what are your requirements there?

600-700 for the size house you’re looking for is becoming tough in Cary and Apex, as it seems you’ve already figured out.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:51 PM

Wife doesn't work.

I can either WFH or rent a co-op office space if I want to be out of the house. But not tied to an employer's address.

If it's a great school district we'll go public. If not, we'll consider private.

A couple months ago inventory in Cary/Apex was great. Not anymore although that can be said about many markets. There is a holding pattern. My hope is we're seeing the result of the Spring rush and we might see a few more options come June/July.

We want to be near parks, kids activities, youth sports teams, other young families to create a network, etc. That is why we're hesitant to move rural. We are nowhere near retirement.

Old 05-27-2023, 05:16 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,867,800 times
OP Holly Springs is definitely a good option, and Fuquay as well. It is not remote at all and has been growing by leaps and bounds. I would definitely consider it. We live in Wake Forest; we love it but it does often feel a bit far out. I would definitely check it out though.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:31 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Hi all,

Our family of four with two young children are relocating from NY. House is officially on the market. The triangle is one of two markets we are considering at this point after considerable research. The other is in NorCal but that brings a host of positive/negatives.

A real concern is lack of inventory right now no matter the market. We had zeroed in on Cary/Apex as the ideal location. But given low inventory I would like to seek suggestions on other areas folks think would be good for a young family.

Education is extremely important. Outdoor activities. Trails to run/hike/bike. Proximity to restaurants/shopping- a reason Cary/Apex sticks out. Don't mind the burbs at all and a family friendly neighborhood with other young families. Don't want to be too rural. I've read many mixed opinions on Garner as an example. Some say it's beautiful and great value. Others say it's too rural.

Looking 4-5 bed, 2-3 bath. 600-700K.

Holly Springs seems perhaps the next best option.

Fuquay has been suggested by our realtor but seems too small, too remote for a young family.

Wake Forest on the other side of Raleigh? More inventory. But appears the real investment/improvements are on the West side of Raleigh. Not near a Costco/Whole Foods. Fewer family options/activities compared to Apex/Cary.

The southern 540 loop obviously can change things in the near future.

Durham/Chapel Hill- Seems better for singles or couples without kids.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools are the top school district in North Carolina, so not sure where you got that from.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:15 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,744,949 times
We have family in Holly Springs - lots of NYers there so you can feel a little at home also. NYers who love it down here and especially with a lot of their kids going to UNC and ECU.

Would avoid Wake Forest, it's not close to 540 and Rt. 1/Capital Blvd becomes worse every week as time goes on. In Holly Springs, you can try to find a house closer to 540 toll.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools are the top school district in North Carolina, so not sure where you got that from.
I have seen it repeatedly stated that Durham and its surroundings don't have near the family oriented amenities as the Cary/Apex area.

Old 05-28-2023, 03:40 PM

563 posts, read 955,528 times
Quote:
I have seen it repeatedly stated that Durham and its surroundings don't have near the family oriented amenities as the Cary/Apex area.
Durham and Chapel Hill have plenty of families living in them. I am not sure what family oriented amenities you are looking for that are only found in other places.

Old 05-28-2023, 04:59 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Quote:
I'm guessing that the folks stating that don't spend a lot of time in Durham. There is plenty to do there as a family, including parks, greenways, and museums. You do need to pay attention to the school assignments more than you would in, say, Wake County or Chapel Hill/Carborro, though there are excellent private school options if that turned out to be an issue.

Old 05-29-2023, 04:52 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
As always, a vague search for "The Best" is going to be frustrating. There is NO "Best." It appears that the budget will dictate locations, and the OP needs to familiarize as well as possible and make a good personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary