U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:36 PM

492 posts, read 1,916,293 times

Advertisements

On NPR this evening, they mentioned a mandatory pet spay/neuter ordinance in being considered in Cary (to combat the pet overpopulation problem ... uhm, is this a big problem in Cary?)

They said there would be significant financial penalities for people with pets that were not spayed/neutered, that the average dog spay costs $300-$400, and that there would be clinics for low income pet owners.

They did not mention any options for people who, for example, breed dogs or cats for showing.

Does anyone know the details?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,810,162 times
I read about it the other day in the Cary News. There will be a $100.00 fee for people to opt out/breeders. You can get vouchers from the Wake County animal shelter that offsets the cost.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:18 PM

214 posts, read 886,412 times
I believe a committee is going to be making it's final recommendations to the Town Council
in a public hearing sometime soon, so that hasn't been finalized yet. The latest reports
indicate that the following might be included:

* Mandatory spay/neuter of all companion animals unless one purchases a
breeder permit. Owners of one intact animal will be considered minor
breeders; those with more that one intact animal will be classified as
major breeders.

* Breeder permit numbers must be displayed and given to buyers.

* Fines will be issued for noncompliance.

* Owners of intact animals will face higher fines if their dog is found
at large than will owners of altered animals. Impounded animals must also
be sterilized before they can be reclaimed.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:22 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,151,618 times
I volunteer at our local animal shelter. I applaud this. Our shelter is a no-kill shelter and is busting at the seams.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:31 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,845,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryGal View Post
Impounded animals must also
be sterilized before they can be reclaimed.
Does this mean if a breeder's valuable dog gets lost and
impounded they would force the owner to neuter it before claiming it???

Old 05-30-2008, 09:01 PM

214 posts, read 886,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Does this mean if a breeder's valuable dog gets lost and
impounded they would force the owner to neuter it before claiming it???
Since the law hasn't actually been written yet, just a proposal, I imagine they would have to come up with something that would address a situation like that.

I'm sure there would be something to the effect where the owner would have to show the breeding license in order to reclaim the dog.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,954,304 times
Sounds like a great idea to me!

Old 05-31-2008, 05:59 AM

492 posts, read 1,916,293 times
So, now, having been a very responsible breeder of purebred dogs for showing in AKC competition for 20 years, and NEVER having had a dog get loose and be impounded, Cary is about to penalize me?

And the town council probably thinks it is being very "progressive."

So let me see: I license my dogs, I vaccinate my dogs, so the "system" is aware of them and I can be financially penalized.

If I didn't license or vaccinate my dogs, the system would not know about them, and I could avoid being penalized?

I produce a litter of 5-7 puppies every four years or so, and they go to show/competition homes all across the country. So how am I contributing to the pet overpopulation problem?

Responsible breeders are the fall guys here -- because we are identifiable!

But yeah, this is Cary: knee-jerk regulation of everything. I suspect that no one on the town council owns a pure-bred dog, or that if they do, they have sufficiently high incomes that a few hundred dollars here or there is just "latte money."

Well, there goes my annual (significant) financial contribution to animal rescue and shelters. It will go to the town of Cary instead.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,488,687 times
How many animals will be abandoned to die because of this?

Spay/neuter is good, but there are better ways like offering free or reduced price surgery based on income.

Cary strikes again.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:24 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,228,716 times
Default Thank goodness it's just a proposal. . .

There is still time, then, to fight this?

Man, but I have to agree with you NC Newcomer. This is just a bit much.

Doesn't Cary spay/neuter the animals in the shelter after a period of time? How will they differentiate a dog to spay/neuter from, say, someone's valuable show dogs like yours? You sound responsible, but I know from my own experiences that things 'happen.'

In spite of our best efforts -- fenced-in yard, hot-wired across the top and bottom, concrete-poured along the perimeter, you-name-it -- we owned a Dalmatian ('Damnation', I called the dog) that could not stay out of Dog Jail, it seemed (once for as long as a week when we went on vacation and he got away from the Boarder!). He was neutered, but had he not been, how long would Animal Control have waited to neuter him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary