U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 08:02 PM

30 posts, read 68,641 times

Advertisements

Alright so it's been beaten to death...but I still have a question.

We are moving to Cary/Apex in about 3 weeks. The school that my children have been assigned to is over capacity. I also know that the classroom size is large, somewhere around 25/26. Is there only 1 teacher per class? Or is there a teacher and a paraprofessional/aide? I'm thinking that if that is the case, then this isn't as bad as it appears. Our schools here in CT have about 19-21 kids per class but there is only an aide occasionally there to help out. So, if the classrooms in WC have 2 full time "teachers" it's actually a better situation.

Sorry if this is confusing! Anyone know what it is actually like IN the classroom? Thanks very much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 PM

8,267 posts, read 21,850,653 times
Depends on the grade I think? I know both of my kids had aides in K and 1st, but my older child did not have any aides in the class after 1st grade.
My child in 1st grade now (in Cary) has a full time TA in her class.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:52 AM

113 posts, read 394,602 times
In my daughter's school, each K and 1st grade class has its own assistant. In grades 2 and 3, two classes share an assistant.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:48 PM

85 posts, read 281,572 times
I teach third grade in a fairly new school. In grades K-1, each teacher has their own teacher assistant. In grade 2, the teachers share three TAs. In grades 3-5, there are no TAs at all. The average class size in K-2 is 23. The average class size in 3-5 is 25-26. You would think (as I do) that the bigger the class size the more need for an assistant, however, the premise is that 3-5 students are more mature, i.e. easier behavior management for teachers. While that may be true, having an assistant, even part-time for purely clerical assistance would help me tremendously and would allow me to focus on instructional time.

TAs are not intended to be a second teacher, as they are not certified to teach. If a school says that they have 2 teachers in a room and one is a TA, I would ask questions (i.e. exactly what kind of training did the TA receive; does the TA instruct;basically, what are the responsibilities of the TA).

Old 05-31-2008, 04:37 PM

836 posts, read 3,099,211 times
In our Kindergarten, when the classes hit 26 they got assigned a second part-time assistant to go with the full time teacher and assistant already there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary