U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:41 PM

3,353 posts, read 3,850,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
After sharing our excitement at buying in SW Durham someone couldn't resist giving me the dvd, Welcome to Durham. A disturbing look at the gangs there.
Oh dear. That video has nothing - nothing - to do with SW Durham. Don't let it deter you. People don't realize that Durham is quite large. I wish they'd named that video "Welcome to EAST Durham" or something...

Old 05-31-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Alien View Post
The gang activity in Cary is very limited. The town has an ordinance that gangs can only have six members and very strict rules regarding gang attire

tee hee !

(do not flame me, it was a funny joke!)

Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,843,059 times
We bought our home in December...someone just wanted to burst our bubble...We love our new home!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:15 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,407,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
After sharing our excitement at buying in SW Durham someone couldn't resist giving me the dvd, Welcome to Durham. A disturbing look at the gangs there.
I still haven't seen that film, though I've heard about. Then again, I still haven't encountered any gang violence in Durham, and I've heard about that too.

I'm happy you love your new home. We love ours too. However, gang issues do exist in Durham. But they continue to exist in other communities as well. Some hide it from publicity better than others. However, whatever the degree, we must allow law enforcement more latitude in dealing with such crime related to gang activity; schools latitude to identify and report gang involvement to law enforcement; and encourage more community watch in neighborhoods especially in areas directly affected by gangs. Organized gangs are opportunistic and will oftentimes work away from areas where community activism is strong. They instill fear, but lose their sense of organization when fear is turned against them.

I hope the community within Durham supports law enforcement in treating the gang issues so that all the gang activity is blamed on Durham. However, as I mentioned before, it's gonna take all the cities in the triangle, Cary included, to work together and create a real solution before the problem becomes just as bad as some major metropolitan cities.

Gangs are not welcome here, or anywhere!

Old 06-01-2008, 02:59 AM

98 posts, read 470,617 times
Not very long ago, Cary was listed as the 14th safest city in the country. I don't think you need to worry too much.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 AM

2,934 posts, read 7,136,016 times
This just in, there are literally gangs everywhere!

I lived in Fairfax & Loudoun Counties in VA which both have median incomes of over $100,000 and there where gangs in those counties. Fairfax County schools are considered some of the best in the nation, yet there are at least 1,500 MS-13 gang members living in that county alone if not more by now. Driving around you wouldn't notice it and most people didn't even know gangs existed there, but they did.

I view Cary in the same light, of course you will have gang members in Cary. It's not east L.A., but they do have gang members there. There are no fences in place on the boarder that keep undsirables out. Just be aware that there is gang activity and recongnize it when you see it (tagging, etc) and enjoy your life. You'll most likely never have to deal with any of their actions.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:34 PM

1,301 posts, read 4,493,282 times
What is the officially definition of a gang? I know that with me the word tends to conjure images of drive by shootings and corner drug deals. But, that is probably from too much television.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:52 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,643,438 times
There are two gangs in Cary: Whole Foods patrons vs. Trader Joe's patrons.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Oh those are in Chapel Hill too. I think the Trader Joe's gang is winning the rumble.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:53 PM

1,301 posts, read 4,493,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post

Shhhh... don't tell anyone but sometimes I sneak into Cary from Raleigh and pose as a TJ's patron gang member ... THEN I go transform in the car into a WF's patron gang member....Kinda like a double agent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary