U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:17 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,440,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEANSEA View Post
me and my husband and 13 year old daughter moved here to raleigh 7 months ago and bought my dream home,but know we are selling and going back to long island we are home sick!! also there is not much to do here if you have no family,and there is not to much activties to do for my 13 year old daughter.nc is a beautiful state and very clean and very nice people but it aint for us.
It's all good. People move all the time and like others have said, no one place is right for everbody.

I am curious though, where in Raleigh are you? From your previous posts describing your house (several acres / horse barn) it sounds like you may be in an outlying area of the Triangle.

Good luck to you and your family no matter where you move!

Old 05-31-2008, 10:08 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,158,487 times
Good luck to you. We've moved lots of times over the years and have liked some places more than others. I do have to say though, it seemed to take me at least a year to "settle in" and get acclimated to my new surroundings. In particular, I was so terribly homesick when we moved from Seattle to NoVA, but within a years' time, I had made friends, my oldest had started preschool, and I felt as though I was rebuilding the support system that I had in Seattle. And in fact, 2 years later when we moved to Boston, I was actually homesick for NoVA!

Of course, I've always missed Seattle and probably will continue to do so, no matter where we live, so I understand how you might feel that way about LI.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:59 AM

50 posts, read 172,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEANSEA View Post
me and my husband and 13 year old daughter moved here to raleigh 7 months ago and bought my dream home,but know we are selling and going back to long island we are home sick!! also there is not much to do here if you have no family,and there is not to much activties to do for my 13 year old daughter.nc is a beautiful state and very clean and very nice people but it aint for us.
Very interesting. We were thinking of the reverse (LI to NC), but like you, we have no family there. Curious where on LI you are from and where you are moving back to? Are you that homesick that you are willing to pay double on LI for what you have in NC?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 PM

11,492 posts, read 25,740,849 times
IMO, I think you should give it some more time. When we moved to FL, it took my husband almost 2 years to get used to it. I'm sure you moved for a reason, like everyone else, whether it's more affordable or the weather. Are you going to be able to go back? Did you try planning small trips up there on the weekends? They have discount flights to get back and forth and I mean $40 RT pp. (you just have to catch it at the right time) Have you met new fiends, neighbors, or co-workers? Do you get out and do activities with other people? Have your friends and family from LI come to visit you? That seems to help. If you have, maybe it's just not for you. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Old 05-31-2008, 01:17 PM

324 posts, read 1,368,413 times
I had moved from WI to FL knowing noone, nothing etc ..was there for a month or so when I started to make friends (work, hockey, making myself go out to places)..I think I was homesick one day (when my parents flew back)...and I would do it all over again.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:19 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,723,245 times
Wow if you have the money to do that then...more power to you. Good luck. have you sold your home already?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:58 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,588,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's not the place, it's what's inside that makes the difference. Is the glass half empty, or half full? Every place can be good, if you choose to make it so.
But for some people it's hard being half full when all your extended family is so far away. And for others there's no way the glass could be half full if they were in the same town as their families.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:15 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,651,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I think this is a first. Nobody ever posts about coming here and then leaving. I think 99% of everyone who moves here, loves it!
Not necessarily true. I think a lot of people don't realize that Raleigh is the Albany of the South. Except that you can't even hop on a train and be in a real city in an hour. Maybe they feel landlocked and miss the beach or their family and friends?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,422,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Not necessarily true. I think a lot of people don't realize that Raleigh is the Albany of the South. Except that you can't even hop on a train and be in a real city in an hour. Maybe they feel landlocked and miss the beach or their family and friends?
"Albany of the South"? Man, that's a bit cruel.

"Home" is a tricky thing. For all we love about NC, there are lots of things to love about other places to live as well, even if they're not ranked high on Forbes' latest top-10 lists. (Hey, some people even love Albany!) And some people just have different priorities and preferences. For example, being only a short train ride away from New York City is something LI has that Raleigh lacks.

I wish the OP the best of luck.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:56 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,511,594 times
With our disfunctional families, distance is a blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary