Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:46 PM

47 posts, read 167,036 times

Advertisements

We moved to Clayton 1 week ago and while we love it, my girls ages 10 and 6 are upset they haven't met any new friends yet! Can anyone give me advice on where to go to help them meet girls their age? Our subdivison is finishing the pool and it will open soon, I'm sure that will be a draw for kids in the subdivison but so far we have not seen any kids close to their ages. We live at Knolls of the Neuse. I will try to get them into summer camp programs once my husband and I are settled. Any advice on great parks, summer camps etc is welcomed.

I have learned so much from reading the posts on this site, I hope you guys can help with this too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 05:21 PM

204 posts, read 845,754 times
Not sure about Clayton, but I know both Cary and Holly Springs have newcomers clubs. I'm planning on trying one or the other of them out soon. You might try doing a search on this sight or on Google (I found the Cary site by just searching Google for Cary Newcomers Club).

Good luck. It's a hard transition when you move to a new area. I'm having the same problem with my daughers (13 and 15) meeting new friends.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I would check out trianglemommies.com. You're sure to find plenty of play groups and activities for your children and lots of advice on places to go, camps and other activities.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:08 PM

836 posts, read 3,469,718 times
Are they in school? When you visit school to pick up your kids or assemblies or whatever ask their classmates parents what some neighborhood things are to do for the summer. Also, the school sometimes offers a camp that lots of the neighorhood kids go to (their are two teacher run summer programs at our school that are very popular with the kids).
I agree, the pool will definately help. What else is close to you? A YMCA that you could join and get the kids in a camp or a sports team? In such programs there are always a new mix of kids from different schools, so they will not be the "new kid" and just be meeting everyone along with everyone else.

But I must say, after only a week, especially this close to the end of the school year, it will be a tough time for kids to focus on meeting a new kid, I am not surprised that they have not made fast friends already. Being the new kid is always a challenge, but being the last two weeks of school will make it tougher. There are so many "end of the year" functions...but it could also be a good time for you to be in the class room and meet the parents!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Sounds like your subdivision is new. Maybe try what I did last summer when we moved in. I took my kids around the neighborhood with me and we rung bells to introduce ourselves to our new neighbors. It was great. My neighbors with kids saw 2 potential playmates on their front porch. We exchanged numbers and had their kids over.

I bet if your subdivision is new then the neighborhood kids are still looking for friends w/in the subdivision and probably would welcome a knock on the door.

Good luck! It does get easier as the months go on... but those first few weeks are the toughest. Hang in there.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
PDXmom...what a great idea! One thing that helped us is that we have a dog. We'd walk in the direction of neighbors and always stopped them to talk. We were one of the first people down on our end of hte block so we greeted new neighbors as they moved in.

This and school helped tremendously. The pool will be a life saver when its open and they'll probably make fast friends then. It also depends on how much help your kids need in making friends. My boys are a bit assertive and will walk up to any kid they don't know and say, "wanna play?"

Don't worry though..pretty soon, your girls will have an arsenal of friends.
Lauren

Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 AM

414 posts, read 1,257,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I would check out trianglemommies.com. You're sure to find plenty of play groups and activities for your children and lots of advice on places to go, camps and other activities.
Ditto! Also, search around for the Clayton area groups on Meetup.com as well. I would also look at the Park and Rec. department for some ideas.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 14,821 times
Believe it or not I live in Pa. But we have been wanting to move to clayton and we have on 7 year old girl and I'm most worried about friends , and I have researced camps .
The clayton rollerskating rink has a summer program 140 a week that looks great and wake ymca has a camp.
GOOD LUCK !!!If I ever get down there maybe we can meet .

Old 01-30-2009, 06:09 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
If church is an option try a local church with lots of kids.
Let the sunday school teacher know you are new
and see if you can set up playdates from that.
Just a thought.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
They are upset that they haven't made friends after living here ONE WEEK???

Teaching them the virtue of patience might be a start...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary