Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:31 PM

110 posts, read 438,784 times

Advertisements

Hi!!

My family and I will be relocating to nc soon from s. florida. We were looking at homes in Clayton, Wendell and Garner. Any advice or information on these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 03:38 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,577 times
Hi Rose,

Where will you be working? That will probably make the difference in the town that you choose.

I lived in Clayton and worked in Raleigh and we were drawn to the fact that we could get a larger lot there with some privacy and trees. You can probably get something similar in Wendell, but the commute to Raleigh is longer.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Hi Erin,

We will both be working in Raleigh. I'm a liitle scared of the move but know that it's best for us and the kids.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:21 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
Clayton is a growing area that still has a small town feel, but it is close enough to Raleigh to have a convenient commute. That commute will get even better as some road projects are completed in the near future.
Garner is another small town southeast of Raleigh - it has not grown as quickly as Clayton, and does not seem to have the "appeal" that Clayton has had in recent years. There have been other threads on that topic as well.
I would also recommend looking in Wake Forest, if you're looking for a small town outside Raleigh. You may also like Holly Springs.
What drew you to these areas in particular? Will you be working downtown?
You can check Wake County schools at www.wcpss.net and Johnston County schools (Clayton) at www.johnston.k12.nc.us. Individual school test scores are available at www.ncreportcards.com.
Good luck!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:25 PM

we've been working with a realtor up there for a few months and all we did was tell him what we were looking for and those were the areas he suggested. Also, my husband works in the IT field and there are plenty of jobs for him in Raleigh.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:30 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,353 times
Some IT jobs are going overseas to Singapore.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:04 PM

how's the job market in retail banking? I've been looking around and really haven't seen much. I currently work investigations with a local credit union but have worked in retail operations before that.

So far he has gotten a lot of interest in his resume.
He used to live in Boston before moving to Miami and had a problem with the market there. I am hoping that the bubble doesn't burst anytime soon.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:09 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose.pal View Post
how's the job market in retail banking? I've been looking around and really haven't seen much. I currently work investigations with a local credit union but have worked in retail operations before that.

So far he has gotten a lot of interest in his resume.
He used to live in Boston before moving to Miami and had a problem with the market there. I am hoping that the bubble doesn't burst anytime soon.
Not to say the banking industry is flat here, but charlotte, nc has much more banking, whereas the triangle has more of the IT type stuff.

The banks just seem much smaller here than in charlotte.

Leigh

Old 01-06-2007, 10:12 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,243 times
I have heard that Charlotte is the banking capitol of the south. Maybe worth investigating the demographics of that city.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:04 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,353 times
Unless you want to work as a bank teller, you'll need to work for a major bank. NC only has two. Neither one has a strong position outside of retail banking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary