Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times

Advertisements

I just got an email from the owners of Amra's in downtown Raleigh. Apparently they have plans to open up a High End Sports bar on the ground floor level of the new 222 Glenwood Condo Development. The Sports Bar will be called Tobacco Road Sports Cafe. From the website it sounds like it may be more of a high-end place with a more substantial menu than your typical sports bar.

Not sure if this will be a place for me, but I will definitely check it out once it opens. I'm glad to see these "mixed-use" developments are starting to pull in tenants for their commercial space. Just thought I would pass this along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:56 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
I saw this as well. I am not a big fan of Amra's itself, although they do have some good live jazz sometimes.

I have a completely different perspective of a bar called Tobacco Road - Miami, FL's first liquor license is at Tobacco Road, which is a real divey kind of place where you can have a few beers and some food and watch local live bands play. The sports bar thing just isn't computing for me with that name, but hopefully it will be different from Stool Pigeons, etc.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,098 times
I wonder if this is the same place that was just advertising for a "new bar opening in Raleigh" that was requesting "female bartenders between the ages of 25-35, please send head shot." Gee, I was torn between applying for that job and the bikini barista position that was posted the same day. As a long time employee in the food service industry, I wonder if anyone still cares about receiving GOOD SERVICE. Sigh.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:50 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
The website advertises it as an "anti-sports bar". I wonder what that is?

Old 06-02-2008, 02:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
I wonder if this is the same place that was just advertising for a "new bar opening in Raleigh" that was requesting "female bartenders between the ages of 25-35, please send head shot." Gee, I was torn between applying for that job and the bikini barista position that was posted the same day. As a long time employee in the food service industry, I wonder if anyone still cares about receiving GOOD SERVICE. Sigh.
I don't know what advertisement you are talking about, but I highly doubt it was for this place. I think you may have this place confused with some other bar in the Raleigh Area.

I think this place is trying to provide exactly what you described. GOOD SERVICE and GOOD FOOD.

Not your typical sports bar IMO.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 AM

Default Tobacco Road update

I just got an email update about the progress of Tobacco Road and found that they are planning to open late October or early November. They are currently hiring, and it appears that they are placing a lot of emphasis on service:

Quote:
You've probably heard of the 80/20 rule. The idea that 20% of people do 80% of the work. The same is true in many restaurants. In addition, it is often 20% of restaurant employees that consistently deliver exceptional service. At Tobacco Road Sports Café we don't want the odds that our guests get exceptional service to be one in five or even worse. Every guest at Tobacco Road will receive exceptional service and we will only hire exceptional people. So, if any of the following characterizes your work ethic or is something that you've done in the past—DON'T APPLY. Trust me, you won't last long. We don't mean to sound harsh, we just don't want to waste our time or yours.

Back in June I found that the owners of Tobacco Road Sports Cafe were polling their potential customers via their blog to see whether they should make the place smoking or non-smoking. It appears that an overwhelming majority of respondents voted for a non-smoking establishment (80% out of 379 responses) and it appears that the restaurant itself will be non-smoking, with smoking allowed only in the patio area.

You can see more details on their website and their blog: Tobacco Road Sports Cafe (I cannot link to the blog directly due to TOS, but you can get to it from their website if you want).

Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 AM

246 posts, read 627,190 times
Honestly, I was kinda hoping for something different in that space. But I'll try to save my opinions until I see the menu.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectE View Post
Honestly, I was kinda hoping for something different in that space. But I'll try to save my opinions until I see the menu.
Well, the huge corner retail space in 222 is still yet to be leased, so there is room for something else. What would you like to see go in there?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 AM

246 posts, read 627,190 times
I am not completely sure.... just not another sports bar? I feel like there is a good amount on that street and in Raleigh.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:37 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,776 times
I like the premise of the place. It's certainly a segment of the market that no one (that I know of) has tapped into. I love the idea of the sports bar and good food combo. Whose idea was it that sports bars had to be filled with nachos and greasy burgers anyway?!? It just seems that watching sports and good food are mutually exclusive of each other!

Not that I mind nachos, a greasy burger and a cold one at a good ol' sports bar every once in awhile...

Maybe this is just the invention of a place where guys and girls can really both have it their way (assuming the girl is the one who doesn't like sports)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary