U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 03:19 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,215,334 times

Advertisements

We've been amazed at the number of turtles we've come across and today my husband came across one that was trying to cross a busy street. He was able to pull over . . get the turtle in his car and he described the turtle as "running" when he put it on his front seat. I laughed so hard because I don't think I've ever seen a turtle running and was sorry to have missed that.
We've spotted several turtles at Umstead Park as well.

He brought the turtle to our complex where he released it into the woods are complex is surrounded by so I hope the turtle will be safer.

Does anyone know if turtles do better at places like Crabtree or Falls Lake where they have access to more water?

Loving those turtles!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:45 PM

185 posts, read 718,667 times
Default Watch Your Fingers - Some Turtles Are Snappers

We had a turtle cross the street right next to our house trying to get to a water pond. I pointed out the turtle to my 4-yr old. Thank goodness my neighbors were out too. They are from Florida and they pointed out that the turtle we saw was an 'alligator snapping turtle' and if you get close enough for it to bite, they could take a finger. The turtle looked like it had an alligator tale and regular turtle body / shell etc. It was great to see but we kept our distance as it went into the pond. I realize there are all kinds of turtles in the area just be careful which ones you get close too.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:54 PM

1,246 posts, read 3,902,794 times
Eastern Box Turtle Information

We have been seeing a lot of these Eastern Box Turtles. They are so cute!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:06 PM

30,503 posts, read 53,441,792 times
Yes, they like water.
I like to walk the wooden bridge at Lake Johnson and watch the turtles cruise on the top of the water.

This feller was down at Wake County Crowder District Park:

Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 PM

2,926 posts, read 6,588,427 times
After Hurricane Fran we found a huge turtle in our fenced in backyard. It was amazing. I don't know how it got there, but I put it inside a mini garbage can and carried him to the woods along a creek. I hope he made it ok. You may be witnessing his progeny?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:39 PM

7,618 posts, read 12,480,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeh View Post
We had a turtle cross the street right next to our house trying to get to a water pond. I pointed out the turtle to my 4-yr old. Thank goodness my neighbors were out too. They are from Florida and they pointed out that the turtle we saw was an 'alligator snapping turtle' and if you get close enough for it to bite, they could take a finger. The turtle looked like it had an alligator tale and regular turtle body / shell etc. It was great to see but we kept our distance as it went into the pond. I realize there are all kinds of turtles in the area just be careful which ones you get close too.

I'm not sure Alligator Snapping Turtle's are native to this area.
It may have been the similar Common Snapping Turtle. They are very
nasty when disturbed!! I tried to move a large one off the road once
and it scared me to death because it pivoted around towards my hand
and snapped.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 PM

98 posts, read 466,242 times
Aw I love turtles. I went to the local petsmart once in hopes of buying one as a pet... but apparently its not allowed in North Carolina. Does anybody know why?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:47 PM

7,618 posts, read 12,480,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somuchbetter View Post
Aw I love turtles. I went to the local petsmart once in hopes of buying one as a pet... but apparently its not allowed in North Carolina. Does anybody know why?
They carry Salmonella bacteria that can be tranmitted to people.
That might be why.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:17 AM

16 posts, read 134,220 times
I saw over a dozen dead turtles on a bicycle ride up and down the 13 mile stretch on 751 from Durham to Apex yesterday. So much development is running them out of their habitats. They are very territorial too, so moving them to a new area (if you find one) may not be the best thing to do.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:48 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,192,559 times
I have seen some turtles as well, however, my yard and flower beds have tons of those little teenie tiny frogs, they are so cute. They hide under the mulch and shrubs...if you move a little of the mulch they start jumping out...so cute...I will have to post a picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary