Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 PM

124 posts, read 503,359 times

Advertisements

for being recognized by the media and other experts as being one of the top hospitals. This was really brought to focus this week as Senator Kennedy chose it to address his unfortunate situation. With UNC Hospitals close by, we are really lucky and blessed to have this quality of health care close by. Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 PM

745 posts, read 2,203,430 times
Well, long before I lived anywhere near here, I knew people that were transported to Duke for very sensitive, complicated procedures. UNC is another school that's nationally recognized for academics, as is NC State really. Even though they don't get as much national attention, they do get a lot of medical research funding. Having them all close by is just a perk to living in the "Research Triangle."

Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 PM

33 posts, read 113,704 times
My 37 year old husband had his cancer treatment at Duke (Non Hodgkins Lymphoma, Stage 4) and we are forever grateful for having it in our backyard. We were often the only ones from the area at the treatment facility. We could not be more pleased with his treatment and the care he received.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:02 PM

124 posts, read 503,359 times
Default I think that U.S. News & World Report

ranked Duke in the top 10 in the country, joining such institutions as Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, Johns Hopkins. Pretty heady company.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:19 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,490,619 times
I'm sure Ted Kennedy didn't have to worry about this, but just be careful that you're not getting a new resident doing your procedure/surgery. That is always a risk at a teaching hospital.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:27 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,430,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I'm sure Ted Kennedy didn't have to worry about this, but just be careful that you're not getting a new resident doing your procedure/surgery. That is always a risk at a teaching hospital.
I like Rex b/c it isn't a teaching hospital.
Everybody has to learn.. I realize that.. just not on me...

Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,193,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Old wive's tale...

Old article below, from 2004, but there are plenty of recent articles as well which have shown without a doubt, surgery, particularly complex surgery, is much SAFER at a teaching hospital than a non teaching community hospital.

Teaching hospitals do a higher volume of cases and by their very nature are much more up to date on the latest techniques and procedures.

Surgery safer at teaching hospitals

Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,495,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
I like Rex b/c it isn't a teaching hospital.
Everybody has to learn.. I realize that.. just not on me...
Usually a hospital being a teaching one is a very good thing as you have a lot of top doctors and very up to date. I'd assume Rex isn't a bad option since we are in a bigger city but no way I'd be going there over Duke or UNC. I'll go where the top doctors are. There is a reason why it's hard to get into Duke or UNC for residents.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:10 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,490,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Old wive's tale...

Old article below, from 2004, but there are plenty of recent articles as well which have shown without a doubt, surgery, particularly complex surgery, is much SAFER at a teaching hospital than a non teaching community hospital.

Teaching hospitals do a higher volume of cases and by their very nature are much more up to date on the latest techniques and procedures.

Surgery safer at teaching hospitals
It is not an old wives tale. Their success is not really high because residents are working on people. It's high b/c they have great research coming out of those hospitals and great technology at teaching hospitals and they have some great docs who are *teachers*. It's despite the residents, not because of them!

I personally was the very first patient of a resident learning to put in a chest tube and it did not go well. Not their first attempt. Not their second attempt. Not their third attempt. It was a horribly painful learning experience, for both him and me. My husband sees it first-hand every day, and even he says no way would he allow a resident to do a procedure. Mistakes are made by them often--that's how they learn. The top surgeons are not residents.

If you want a resident to perform surgery on you, that's fine. No way would I allow a family member (or myself) to do so unless it's a trauma-life and death situation.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:58 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,430,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Usually a hospital being a teaching one is a very good thing as you have a lot of top doctors and very up to date. I'd assume Rex isn't a bad option since we are in a bigger city but no way I'd be going there over Duke or UNC. I'll go where the top doctors are. There is a reason why it's hard to get into Duke or UNC for residents.
I guess we're the opposite.. cause no way would I go to Duke or UNC over Rex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary