U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2008, 02:56 PM

478 posts, read 1,391,408 times
Default dumb question - orange county tax?

I cannot seem to find the county rate like I did for Wake County. Def user error but might someone post it?

Another question: As far as Hillsborough subdivisions, is it Fox Hill, Red Hill, Churton Grove for the over-$400k homes? We def won't be buying in the first two subdivisions due to price, and we are looking for a community which has a neighborhood pool and hopefully other amenities as we need the convenient social option.

On the amenities, what is a 'bath house'? We've lived in San Francisco and 'bath houses' were somewhat a normal societal element, and the bath houses in Bath, England were similar, but I'm thinking that a family-oriented subdivision means something different.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 04:32 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,695,101 times
Try this for the tax rates.

Orange County NC Revenue Department

Old 06-03-2008, 05:43 PM

478 posts, read 1,391,408 times
Thanks! I looked at that chart before, but I cannot figure it out. For example, Wake County tax is .678. From that number, I can calculate what is listed for Cary, etc.

But for Orange County, I do not see a similar singular tax rate, from which the specific towns (like Hillsborough) add on.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,708,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Thanks! I looked at that chart before, but I cannot figure it out. For example, Wake County tax is .678. From that number, I can calculate what is listed for Cary, etc.

But for Orange County, I do not see a similar singular tax rate, from which the specific towns (like Hillsborough) add on.
This chart, instead of breaking out the tax rate that way (although you can determine it with some sleuthing), provides all the possible combinations. So, for example, it says that for "County + Hillsborough City" the tax rate is 0.01585 (per $100). For Orange county only, the tax rate is listed as 0.0095. So you could extrapolate that if you live in Hillsborough City, the portion of the tax rate attributable to the city is 0.00635. This City of Hillsborough budget document (http://www.ci.hillsborough.nc.us/documents/MasterBudgetDocument-FY08.pdf - broken link) also lists the city tax rate as 0.00635. That's for the FY ending June 30, 2007, of course, so it's about to change.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:53 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,695,101 times
^Right. It breaks it down for each possible combination. If you are outside city limits, you will also have a fire district, which is why there are so many combinations. If you look up a property you are interested in in the county GIS, you will be able to see which rate code applies to it.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,551,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
I cannot seem to find the county rate like I did for Wake County. Def user error but might someone post it?

Another question: As far as Hillsborough subdivisions, is it Fox Hill, Red Hill, Churton Grove for the over-$400k homes? We def won't be buying in the first two subdivisions due to price, and we are looking for a community which has a neighborhood pool and hopefully other amenities as we need the convenient social option.

On the amenities, what is a 'bath house'? We've lived in San Francisco and 'bath houses' were somewhat a normal societal element, and the bath houses in Bath, England were similar, but I'm thinking that a family-oriented subdivision means something different.

Thanks!
As far as a pool and other amenities, Churton Grove is really your only option. A little further down St. Mary's is Hardscrabble Plantation which has mostly Hillsborough addresses, but is also mostly in Durham County. There are some homes in the neighborhood that are in Orange County though, in case it makes a difference. Really amazing neighborhood that is definitely worth checking out.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,551,640 times
Oh, here are the rates. Follow this link:
Property Tax Rates and Latest Year of Revaluation

Last edited by coltank; 06-03-2008 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary