Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM

103 posts, read 98,322 times

Advertisements

The reason why some smaller homes go for more per square foot than larger homes is the cost of the land the home is sitting on. When you buy a home, you pay for the land plus the cost of the home. So if 2 homes of same quality were sitting on the same quality and size lot, then the smaller home would go for more per square foot than the larger home, simply because of the cost of the land.

There are other factors as well, but the land cost for same quality home is the biggest difference in pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:27 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamscapeonline View Post
well on the building side.. with the fuel prices where they are right now.. it costs an average $87-$90 sqft just to build a house. I remember some of the construction I was involved in around 2003.. those numbers ranged around $67-$70/sqft.
You can still build a modular at that price. I don't mean a manufactured home either. It's a good constructed home built off-site and transported to your land.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:37 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Default More to the story

It is silly isn’t it- thinking of buying a home by square footage alone? It’s like buying a car by weight alone and not factoring in all the other features.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Ranches (one story homes) usually sell for more $ per sq. foot since they require more land. They are also costly since they require more foundation and more roof.

Smaller homes sell for more $ per sq. foot because the costly parts of the house are the bathrooms and kitchen and most homes have that, whether they are 1200 sq. ft. or 2500 sq. ft.

Figuring out the price of a house is not that easy, as you are all beginning to see! Yes, you can look at the comps but I may think comp #1 is the best and another agent may prefer comp #2. Also, an appraiser says you can give an extra bathroom between $1500 and $3,000 extra. Whose OPINION counts?

That is why we figure the cost of a house on many things and not just the square footage of one comp that sold.

Now WHO said my job was easy??? I just said it was FUN!

Vicki

Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 AM

Default You get what you pay for...

VickiR, I have all the respect in the world for your profession! Although I often disagree with you about house appreciation; I still respect all the work you do and all the things you have to stay on top of to sell a house. I know its not easy dealing with a seller who is seeking unreasonable profit on the sale of their home because they’re too emotionally attached. Conversely, buyers who think that they should get a silk purse for the price of a sow’s ear are equally difficult to deal with. Know this though VickiR- I would NEVER dream of buying an existing home or selling a house without a good honest real-estate agent.

Your job reminds me of this famous saying by Red Adair, "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Thanks, Grizz! I appreciate your kind words. I know we all can't agree all the time! I have no problem telling you what I see and I know you have no problem telling me what you see so sometimes we are bound to disagree! Even though I know I'm right...oops...how did THAT slip in?!! Ok, ok...gonna behave!

Vicki

Old 06-06-2008, 08:57 AM

28 posts, read 108,726 times
I disagree with Grizz but to each its own!!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamscapeonline View Post
I disagree with Grizz but to each its own!!
Which point do you disagree with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary