U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:30 PM

137 posts, read 1,126,011 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I have to find out how to make that white cheese dip that is so popular in the Mexican restaurants around the area.

I'm not talking about Chili's or On The Border. I'm talking about places like "La Fiesta", "La Hacienda", or "Fiesta Mexicana".

I did some Googling and it was suggested that it was Oaxaca (aka Asadero) cheese that might be mixed with cream. But I don't think this is right. Oaxaca is basically Mozzarella, and doesn't melt into a sauce/dip well. It was good to eat just by itself, like string cheese. And it was good on mexican dishes, but it just wasn't the same.

Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 02:35 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,000,574 times
Maybe Manchego?

Cacique has a full line of Mexican cheeses and the labels are loosely descriptive of the qualities.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 PM

12 posts, read 108,504 times
I don't exactly know what white cheese dip you're talking about, but here's a recipe for some cheese dip that's white and served in Mexican restaurants. Good stuff!

1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
2 ounces Monterey jack cheese, grated
2 ounces Muenster cheese, grated
fresh garlic, crushed
2 jalapeno peppers, minced
2 tablespoons minced green onion
Combine cottage cheese, sour cream and cheeses.
Add garlic, peppers and green onion; mix well.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:18 PM

336 posts, read 1,094,751 times
yummy goodness : )

Old 06-05-2008, 03:36 PM

175 posts, read 416,849 times
According to Michael Martinez, who seems to have spent way too much time thinking about white cheese dip, the secret is in having the right kind of Asadero.
Asadero cheese for queso blanco | Asadero cheese for white cheese dip

Last edited by autumngal; 06-06-2008 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: copyright issues, read the copyright please and TOS

Old 06-05-2008, 04:16 PM

4,597 posts, read 7,564,865 times
Default Mucho gracias!

Oh, dear, but am I ever in trouble. I love that white cheese dip, too, and now that I have two recipes to try, I am done-for.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:16 AM

137 posts, read 1,126,011 times
Ok. So the Martinez article quotes another guy as saying that ...
A true Asadero is stringy, soft and elastic when heated versus a Cacique Asadero which just becomes soft like the cheese it is--a process cheese.
Which means that we, in our quest for Mexican white cheese dip, are not actually looking for a true Asadero cheese. I read in a web site somewhere (maybe Wikipedia) that Oaxaca and Asadero were pretty interchangeable. The balled up Oaxaca I got from Harris Teeter (I think) was more like a true Asadero, because it was stringy and elastic when heated.

Good to know.

Let the hunt begin!

Last edited by autumngal; 06-06-2008 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: All copied stuff needs a link please

Old 06-06-2008, 11:46 AM

175 posts, read 416,849 times
Yes! Reviewing that same article, it looks like the key to meltability is sodium citrate!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:09 PM

98 posts, read 385,967 times
There are endless Mexican style white cheese dips. So you just really need to figure out which one suits you. My mom runs 4 Mexican restaurants in Michigan and I also worked at an on the border.

A little off subject...

Here's a *great* summer cheese dip recipe with garlic crackers that you may enjoy (or become addicted to)!

1 jar of Kraft Old English (cheese)
1 jar of Kraft Roka (I think its Roka blue)
1 bar of cream cheese
Soften all, mix, and serve! It is best served chilled, and will stay soft.

and voila! so easy and sooo so so so good. You can find these cheeses in the grocery store, but not usually with the refrigerated cheeses.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:57 PM

635 posts, read 1,059,054 times
I thought it was marketed as queso?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary