U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 PM

22 posts, read 56,575 times

Advertisements

where do all these frogs come from? I don't see them in the day but at night there poping every where (gross!) SEE LOTS OF BABY ONES SPECIALY WHEN IT RAINS.AND ALSO ALOT OF WEIRD LOOKING BUGS (gross)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:24 PM

8,259 posts, read 21,695,152 times
Welcome to NC. Snakes, frogs, turtles, spiders, bears, racoons, bunnies, squirrels, possums, roaches, ticks other creepy crawlers and all.
Especially King Cobras. Watch out for those!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 PM

150 posts, read 445,158 times
I love the frogs!! What an amazing sound to hear at night-we have heard at least 3-4 different sounds at one time from the frogs in the wetlands. If there werent so many bugs (oh well the price we pay for getting to live in such an amazing area), I could sit for a long time on the deck listening at night-you can barely hear anything above the hum. Unfortunately, my hubby accidentally almost mowed a toad down the other day; thankfully the little guy got to a safe spot, albeit after sitting stunned for about 5 minutes. It feels so good to live in a place with such biodiversity-I love North Carolina!!

I'll take it all: raccoons, bears, apossums and on-we are really fortunate to have so many different species happily living here. With one exception....we were staying in Kitty Hawk 2 weeks ago and happened upon a lovely water moccasin....YIPES! Even so, it was kinda' cool

Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM

982 posts, read 2,132,921 times
I haven't seen one frog. Where do you live? We haven't seen any strange-looking creatures here, and in ten years I've never seen one snake in our yard. Flying insects? Yep. At night I can see them outside by our patio light.

Frogs ... we saw them in Louisiana in the lowlands, which is all of the state basically, and there were lots of them outdoors at night. But haven't seen any here in North Raleigh.

What's up with that?
Best,
toodie

Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 PM

150 posts, read 445,158 times
I can't speak for OCEANSEA, but we are in Brightleaf at the Park(Durham)-about 3.5 miles up 70 west from Brier Creek.

My cats find the frogs and toads very intriguing-I guess we won't be letting them out unsupervised!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:24 PM

7,652 posts, read 12,739,637 times
We live in N Raleigh past 540 and we have so many frogs you can hardly
hear at night. I love to leave the windows open to hear them.
I don't know what kind they are but they are loud.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:46 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,395,327 times
In Durham here, we have a big pond reservoir within the trees in the back of our property. I'm sure there are all living things imaginable out there, but at night, I hear the musical variety of frogs. The sound of traffic is so invasive, the frog sounds is music to my ears. Very relaxing.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 PM

982 posts, read 2,132,921 times
Very cool being able to hear frogs outside at night in the middle of this hot weather. That's unusual. Normally they're only heard in the spring around here and that would be early spring. By the time this type of hot weather arrives, the frogs have become completely silent around the lakes that are nearby.
Are they bull frogs?
http://www.naturesongs.com/otheranimals.html#bfro
Here's another site that has the sounds of NC frogs.
Interesting !!
Frogs and Toads of North Carolina
best,
toodie

Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 AM

51 posts, read 120,476 times
Awww, yes, finally a post about NC critters with legs!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:50 AM

2,810 posts, read 6,420,104 times
In the day the frogs go find some water or bury themselves in the mulch or pine straw. Anyone that moved there mulch around knows there is more than mulch in there. Sometimes an 8-leg creature runs out or a 4 legged jumping friend hops out! Then the occasional to fast to count all the legs scurries out and into the next mulch pads. The killer to is trying to keep up with the every moving dirt piles from the ant farms. They just spring up over night. Them ants are busier than Capital Blvd south at 8am! Thanks be to luck so far no snakes yet but I know they are lurking out there. We also have a lot of Hawks that circle over the field and woods near by so when a rabbit appears man they dart faster than the lead car at Lowe's motor speedway! Its fun living with nature!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary