Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 PM

56 posts, read 163,493 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much everyone who answered my previous post and also who added comments to all these other threads! So much good stuff here!

I bought plane tickets and booked my hotel! I'm coming to visit for a week and see what there is to see!

I'm really excited! I'm also interested in trying some yoga studios and going trail running *(on real dirt trails). Going to coffee shops with character, boutique shopping, looking for great neighborhoods to rent a house with a porch or gazebo, going to hear some music, and just enjoy life and what the raleigh area has to offer and where I might fit in.

I'm coming from the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. My town is really small, just 15,000 people and it's very quiet in the mountains. I've lived in big cities, and am also actually a southern girl (grew up in the South) but I am still just a touch nervous about being in a new place by myself. If there is anywhere I should avoid, please let me know.

I'd love any advice about anything, or suggestions about what to see or any music or anything happening.

And I just wanted to edit to add how much I really appreciate all of your help!

Last edited by sunnysunnyside; 06-05-2008 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: adding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:27 AM

15 posts, read 62,396 times
Just a heads up, the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is on Saturday 14th and takes place at Meredith College/Hillsborough Street/Gorman St. and the run/walk nears NCState Campus too - so be ready for some traffic and delays if you are in that area - or better yet come out and join the event!!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:46 AM

19 posts, read 24,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysunnyside View Post
Thanks so much everyone who answered my previous post and also who added comments to all these other threads! So much good stuff here!

I bought plane tickets and booked my hotel! I'm coming to visit for a week and see what there is to see!

I'm really excited! I'm also interested in trying some yoga studios and going trail running *(on real dirt trails). Going to coffee shops with character, boutique shopping, looking for great neighborhoods to rent a house with a porch or gazebo, going to hear some music, and just enjoy life and what the raleigh area has to offer and where I might fit in.

I'm coming from the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. My town is really small, just 15,000 people and it's very quiet in the mountains. I've lived in big cities, and am also actually a southern girl (grew up in the South) but I am still just a touch nervous about being in a new place by myself. If there is anywhere I should avoid, please let me know.

I'd love any advice about anything, or suggestions about what to see or any music or anything happening.

And I just wanted to edit to add how much I really appreciate all of your help!

Plan on walking or biking the American Tobacco Trail.

Visit many of the parks around here.

Visit Duke Gardens.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
If the weather stays hot, remember sunscreen and bottled water while hiking.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:42 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHeHe View Post
Plan on walking or biking the American Tobacco Trail.

Visit many of the parks around here.

Visit Duke Gardens.
Good suggestions, but always there. I'd take advantage of the annual events going on while you are hear. One such one is Hog Day in Hillsborough (June 20 and 21). It's been in Southern Living a few times as an event to attend. It will be hot though!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 02:41 PM

Thanks so much! I also heard about something called the Kirby Derby in Raleigh? That sounds like a good time. I am getting there too late for the Race for the Cure! I am so disappointed, I'd have loved to come and support such a great cause. I'm so excited for my trip to the area. Thanks again everyone, You guys are all wonderful!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:12 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,317 times
If you are looking for dirt running trails, check out Umstead State Park in NW Raleigh.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 AM

59 posts, read 214,284 times
Default Downtown concert on 6/14/08

You asked about music .. looks like there is a free downtown concert on Saturday.

Bud Light Downtown Live Concert :: Downtown Raleigh Events

I tend to use triangle.com to find events.

About Hillsborough Hog Day-- quite a fun time (I love community events) -- go early so you don't miss out on the pig. And they usually have an excellent Elvis tribute performer, but it looks like he's not going to be there this year.

North Hills Mall area has outdoor music on Thursdays (Shag on 6/19).

One of my favorite things to do is Movies on the Lawn at the North Carolina Museum of Art. They have a whole calendar of events and a great walking trail (paved). The movie on 6/20 is about space travel to the moon (not my cup of tea, but ...)

As you'll be alone you might consider looking into the Meetup groups to see if they are doing anything while you are here as its purpose is for singles to meet. I've never participated, but I've heard good things about it.

If you'd like you can e-mail me offline and we can chat .. I'm a very active single woman (early 40s) who's lived here since 1992 and I've probably attended every museum or venue in the area. Also I'm very good at finding info. If you give me an idea of what you want to know -- music venues, arts & crafts, theatre, parks, kayaking, canoeing, hiking, mountain biking, swimming, dancing, dining, ice cream, museums, bookstores, etc. I can help. My weak spot is nightlife -- I stopped the bar scene about 5 years ago, but I still know where to find those places. But if you're here by yourself you probably won't go barhopping by yourself .. or maybe you would .. hee hee.

(You mentioned yoga .. there seems to be two outdoor yoga events and one business event ...

City of Raleigh Human Relations Commission Yoga in the Park - 6/14 10-12 a.m. Nash Square, downtown Raleigh. Rock out to Yoga - YogAsana South .. summer solstice party 6/21 9-5. Yoga in the Park - 6/15 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. Lake Shelley)

If you are staying in Raleigh and you don't have time to get over to Durham, you could consider the JC Raulston Arboretum - Home Page instead of Duke Gardens. Now, I love Duke Gardens (and a visit to Duke Chapel), but if time is a concern the Arboretum is a good option.

Have fun ..

Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 AM

Wow, This is all great information! Thanks so much everyone! I am definitely going to check out a lot of these events. I can't believe I'll be there in just a couple days! I'm soo incredibly excited. And my dad gave me a GPS thankfully, so I can find my way around better.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 AM

Ok, I am here and getting started. Sadly I missed the concert yesterday due to a delayed flight but I had a great dinner at Bahama Breeze. I'm heading to the book store in Durham to find some books on the area and a good map. Then perhaps explore Durham a bit around American Tobacco.

I appreciate everyones posts.

Is there a particular night or nights that you would say is a busier time to enjoy nightlife in downtown Raleigh?

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary