Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times

Advertisements

I heard that some homeowners in WF were getting liens on their homes from unpaid subs. Might very well be this builder.

Sounds like they need to get their title insurance carrier involved since the work was done while the builder owned the home.

Perhaps the subs are trying to see if homeowners later wanting to sell will pay the lien instead of fighting it since the sale may be lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateloe View Post
We live in Springhill in Holly Springs. This St. Lawrence Home is really by Broadstreet Homes- which is affiliated with St. Lawrence.
Right now we are being sued by a vendor that did repair work covered under our one year warranty from the builder. The builder didn't pay the vendor. Since it was done in our home, we are being sued too!
Also, I guess to sell more homes, this builder advertised LOW homeowners dues. What we didn't realize is that the builder paid for two thirds of the expenses needed for the landscaping/upkeep of the neighborhood. NOW the Springhill community has taken over the HOA as expected. Unfortunately for us, we have to raise the home owners dues.....I doubt St. Lawrence will want to "give" us any money. Another bad thing is many homeowners here are AGAINST raising the dues.....They don't get it!!! Also, St. Lawrence has LEFT our community looking badly. The common areas are not landscaped-there are mountains of dirt covered with weeds! There is a house for sale that they left without putting a driveway in! There are unfinished sidewalks! And St. Lawrence Homes won't get back to us about these issues. I know the market is tough on builders now, but they have the equipment to fix some of these issues. I wonder if they will loan it to us? I can work a bulldozer!
I am a wrought iron/fence contractor here in Wilmington NC. I haven't been paid for a small ($1800.00) fence that I installed near the end of August this year. The homes are small town homes and all construction appears to have stopped on them.

I have been told by them that they pay 60 now 90 days. I have no choice but use small claims and/or a lien on the property.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Iron View Post
I am a wrought iron/fence contractor here in Wilmington NC. I haven't been paid for a small ($1800.00) fence that I installed near the end of August this year. The homes are small town homes and all construction appears to have stopped on them.

I have been told by them that they pay 60 now 90 days. I have no choice but use small claims and/or a lien on the property.
If the home was already sold with a clear title, will your lien stand since the present owner didn't own it when the work was ordered and performed?

What does your lawyer say?

Sorry you were cheated by the builder. Recovery in Chapter 7 is usually nothing.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I do believe the owner of St. Lawrence homes is a "carpetbagger" who hails from my hometown of Rochester, NY. From what I've read here, we apologize! (Although when we lived in NC I had only ever heard good things about the builder as far as floorplans and quality construction go)

Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 PM

29 posts, read 97,711 times
As far as we know, St. Lawrence Homes is still operating. But multiple home owners in Bowling Green, Wake Forest have been served with claim of liens from contractors who were not paid during the construction of their homes (myself included). There are even new buyers that have not been able to close on their homes since St. Lawrence Homes cannot secure title insurance on the new homes.

I hope that St. Lawrence Homes comes through this tough time. We really like our home and our experience with the builder was first rate. We will see how it goes..

Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I heard that some homeowners in WF were getting liens on their homes from unpaid subs. Might very well be this builder.

Sounds like they need to get their title insurance carrier involved since the work was done while the builder owned the home.

Perhaps the subs are trying to see if homeowners later wanting to sell will pay the lien instead of fighting it since the sale may be lost.
Contractors have 120 days after the last of any materials or labor was furnished to file under NC G.S. 44A-12.

My counsel advised to file any and all claims with our title insurance.

I do not agree with this law, in that as successor in interest, the new homeowner is totally blindsided with a claim against the property simply because they are now the owners, 2 to 4 months later. In the end, the builder walks away and the title insurance provider gets nailed with the bill. It's total BS in my opinion and whomever the lawmaker(s) were that got it passed should be publicly caned (Singapore style).

A friend is an attorney from another state and he was amazed that this law ever made it on the books. All I can say is "Welcome to North Carolina..."

Last edited by Delmustator; 11-21-2008 at 09:28 PM..

Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmustator View Post
Contractors have 120 days after the last of any materials or labor was furnished to file under NC G.S. 44A-12.

My counsel advised to file any and all claims with our title insurance.

I do not agree with this law, in that as successor in interest, the new homeowner is totally blindsided with a claim against the property simply because they are now the owners, 2 to 4 months later. In the end, the builder walks away and the title insurance provider gets nailed with the bill. It's total BS in my opinion and whomever the lawmaker(s) were that got it passed should be publicly caned (Singapore style).

A friend is an attorney from another state and he was amazed that this law ever made it on the books. All I can say is "Welcome to North Carolina..."
Our claims totaled over $80,000 that the insurance had to pay with a total of 8 liens.That was our feeling~~~~ "only in North Carolina".

Old 11-22-2008, 10:14 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,222 times
[quote=Delmustator;6264356]As far as we know, St. Lawrence Homes is still operating. But multiple home owners in Bowling Green, Wake Forest have been served with claim of liens from contractors who were not paid during the construction of their homes (myself included). There are even new buyers that have not been able to close on their homes since St. Lawrence Homes cannot secure title insurance on the new homes.

I hope that St. Lawrence Homes comes through this tough time. We really like our home and our experience with the builder was first rate. We will see how it goes..[/QUOTE
]
As of last year in the Charlotte area, they were having finacial difficulties then and paying more than 60 days out.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:13 PM

I received an update and it looks like St. Lawrence Homes is working hard to get their issues resolved and home sales are moving forward. This is very positive news. I see a new homeowner moving in today!

Old 11-23-2008, 02:02 PM

At least title insurance is paying off for some homeowners.

Usually, it's just another "junk" fee at closing.

Perhaps title insurers will lobby the legislature to change the lien law to require that a contractor file a lis pendens before the home is sold if they want the lien to be effective on the new owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary