Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:50 PM

542 posts, read 1,522,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Case closed.
This thread has gone way off topic, but you have to "respect" someone that believes they are entitled to the last word just because they say they have the last word.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 05:51 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,389,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Seriously, isn't this a bit off topic? Just sayin'...

Ahhh yep. Sorry. I guess I still have a lot of anger for having to pay for other peoples mistakes.

I will go stand in the corner again.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:58 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Oh, I didn't realize that "your Dad" thought differently. I guess maybe I should have asked my Dad, too.

I know that the bleeding heart liberals would love to make sure none of the blame lands on the Democrats, but that just isn't the case. BOTH parties are to blame. It's funny how all the Democrats that have their fingers covered in blood are the ones refusing to take any responsibility and try to blame it all on Republicans. It's funny how the media has yet to investigate the results of these hearings:

YouTube - Shocking Video Unearthed Democrats in their own words Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Scam that caused our Economic Crisis

IMO, I want BOTH sides to fry. There should be ZERO programs by the government to force home ownership on ANYONE. It should be simple. You want to buy a home, come up with a down payment, have a job and pay the stupid mortgage. Banks should have to hold the mortgage. They should not be able to sell them. If they had to hold them, they would be damn sure that the buyers could afford the house. The government needs to get out of the business of trying to give things to people. Most government plans start out with a good intentions, but the idiots (both Democrat & Republican) never consider the fallout when things go wrong. The government doesn't know what it is doing, so you can't expect it to regulate much of anything. If they took a 100% hands off approach to mortgage lending, with the exception of mandating that mortgages can't be sold, then this never would have happened. They opened up a nasty can of worms by force feeding home ownership and that affected the entire market. It started with the CRA and exploded throughout the industry. Case closed.
You are so right.

Why should the tax code try to change our preferences? I rent and have no real incentive to itemize deductions such as charity.

My neighbor (example) decides to buy a $500K McMansion. They can deduct mortgage interest, property tax, and charitable contributions.

Now, some people would feel renters are second class citizens. However, since we want to treat everyone the same, why is there discrimination in the tax codes against renters?

If you can afford it, buy a home but don't make me subsidize your choice.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:58 PM

426 posts, read 1,453,413 times
Charlton Dude, in my post, I specified 1999 as the year all this crap started and I'm well aware of the fact Bill Clinton was in office then. This is a bi-partisan screwup, no doubt. But I think we can all agree that if rich people had kept their grubby hands off the quick bucks to be had with CDS' we'd all be better off. This crisis would be a mere 400 billion to clean up rather than 7 trillion.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 AM

29 posts, read 97,512 times
I have no clue what their status is at this time. There was a recent article in the Raleigh News & Observer about St. Lawrence Homes.

Liens multiply against homebuilder - Business - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1339428.html - broken link)

Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 PM

143 posts, read 416,412 times
WOW...we almost bought a house in the St. Lawrence community in Knightdale back in June, with an est completion date of December. I'm really glad we didn't after reading this thread. Best of luck to those of you who purchased, and the contractors in getting paid!

Old 12-25-2008, 02:10 PM

29 posts, read 97,512 times
Found out earlier this week that STLH has let all their sales associates go. It looks like it's only a matter of time before their gone. There are a number of semi-finished homes in our neighborhood. I wonder who will finish them.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,104,076 times
sbanawan...Congrats and welcome to Grandale. We didn't sell our NJ home but we did get rentors for February 1st...Yeah! I come down once a month to see DH and kids and each time I can't believe the progress at Grandale. There are new houses popping up everywhere. From what I've read, Centex is doing a little better than most other track builders so I wouldn't worry too much. Customer service quality hasn't changed a bit. We're getting our one year inspection soon and have only minor issues. We love the house and the area. Hope to meet you soon. See you and the family at the pool...

Old 01-09-2009, 07:39 AM

25 posts, read 73,159 times
Default hit with a lien

Yes, we were also hit with a lien because STLH didn't pay the carpet company for something they fixed during our one year walk through. I
called ST and they immediately took care of it.

We are concerned that if STLH goes under (as the rumours fly) then what
happens to our warranty?

I love the house though...the open floor plan is wonderful and there is plenty of room inside and out. We live in Rolesville, which is an "ok" place. Coming from NY, I first fell in love with the "apple pie" southern setting...small town feel is not for everyone.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemom2boys View Post
Yes, we were also hit with a lien because STLH didn't pay the carpet company for something they fixed during our one year walk through. I
called ST and they immediately took care of it.

We are concerned that if STLH goes under (as the rumours fly) then what
happens to our warranty?

I love the house though...the open floor plan is wonderful and there is plenty of room inside and out. We live in Rolesville, which is an "ok" place. Coming from NY, I first fell in love with the "apple pie" southern setting...small town feel is not for everyone.
Your warranty, unless backed by an insurer, would be worthless except for manufacturer warranty on appliances, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary