U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,378,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Maybe 2006. My fault.
No worries. I'm not going to fight about this topic and I certainly don't want to get involved in a debate about statistical methods conerning means, medians, and normalizations.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:27 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,223,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
No worries. I'm not going to fight about this topic and I certainly don't want to get involved in a debate about statistical methods conerning means, medians, and normalizations.
Both cities are wonderful. People should enjoy them both.

Now Cary on the other hand, when compared to Amherst NY, is a crime infested war zone.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 454,495 times
Quote:
I hope I don't come across as debating. Like I said, I am a bit of a math nerd and I didn't realize that data sets like this could be normalized, as I had always defined it. I am just trying to brush up on my skills.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:30 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,818,258 times
Somehow I doubt the OP is benefiting from this discussion.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:33 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Somehow I doubt the OP is benefiting from this discussion.
Actually, it seems pretty well on the original topic to me.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:40 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,139,704 times
When I say normalized, I simply mean that it has been averaged to a "per 100,000" residents rate as to be useful when comparing different size cities. This is the same thing the FBI uses to compare cities. I see people mentioning raw numbers of crimes/murders. Those don't really tell you anything unless the cities have the same population. A city doesn't automatically become more dangerous because its population increases (and murders/crime along with the increase).

Old 06-17-2008, 02:47 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
When I say normalized, I simply mean that it has been averaged to a "per 100,000" residents rate as to be useful when comparing different size cities. This is the same thing the FBI uses to compare cities. I see people mentioning raw numbers of crimes/murders. Those don't really tell you anything unless the cities have the same population. A city doesn't automatically become more dangerous because its population increases (and murders/crime along with the increase).
Ah. I don't think that is really normalization. Oh well.

(Not to say that what you are doing isn't valid, just not the term you are using, at least as far as I understand it. I would be happy for anyone with more up to date stats training to correct me.)

Old 06-17-2008, 02:58 PM

3,353 posts, read 3,839,104 times
Quote:
Me either, I have enough of that at work! I could always consult my handy "Cartoon Guide to Statistics" which is about 2 feet away from me right now

Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,827,305 times
It seems this topic comes up again and again and always with the same result: Durham is labeled a terrible crime infested city and noone wants to move here. Fine by me because meanwhile Wake county draws the majority of new residents who fear Durham. While Wake county continues to burst at the seams. we here in Durham know all the wonderful things that we have here to offer and surprise, we're are enjoying a calmer, more diverse way of life. I like that outcome, how 'bout you, scorp?!!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,223,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
It seems this topic comes up again and again and always with the same result: Durham is labeled a terrible crime infested city and noone wants to move here. Fine by me because meanwhile Wake county draws the majority of new residents who fear Durham. While Wake county continues to burst at the seams. we here in Durham know all the wonderful things that we have here to offer and surprise, we're are enjoying a calmer, more diverse way of life. I like that outcome, how 'bout you, scorp?!!
That's another way to look at it.

Raleigh had three suspected murders over the weekend. No one cares, because Raleigh is considered La La Land...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary