U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:45 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,018,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Matt View Post
Yes, Durham is safe. If you asked the parent of a child recently hurt in a shooting, well... Over 20 years here, have personally never had a problem with crime that does exist. Currently live in West Durham, formerly two yrs in Central part, prior to that, Northern part. Went to middle and high schools and college in Durham. Have not run into any gang bangers although I'm aware that they're there, however they don't usually openly tell you if they are one. My advice, drive around Durham, especially during rush hours, and see what areas you like. West Durham apartments and neighborhoods are very close to Duke, and there are several bus routes many people use to get to campus. An awful lot of people choose to raise their families in Durham here instead of anywhere else in the world. Hope you do too.
Met a soccer dad (daughters team) - turns out he is on the Durham PD. I said to him, "is the crime as bad as I hear in Durham?" and he said "MUCH WORSE....."

Old 06-13-2008, 10:49 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 446,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Met a soccer dad (daughters team) - turns out he is on the Durham PD. I said to him, "is the crime as bad as I hear in Durham?" and he said "MUCH WORSE....."
I would be interested to hear about the statistics he provided. Care to elaborate?

I have actually though that there would be great value in comparing the rate of crime in various cities around the area to the coverage they get in local media. If this officer has already done so (and I assume he has, since there wouldn't really be a basis for his comment otherwise), I would love to see the data.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:29 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,139,572 times
Quote:
But, again, the crime in Durham is centralized in certain areas of the town that, if you're fortunate enough not to live there, you don't have to visit.

Are we aware there are areas of Durham with crime? Of course. Have we experienced any crime in our years living here? Not one bit.

I know people who've lived here 20 years and have never experienced crime, either.

After Raleigh and Cary, Durham has the third-lowest rate of violent crime per capita in North Carolina. Would you tell people to never live in Wilmington, Charlotte, Fayetteville, Winston-Salem, or Greensboro?

I wouldn't imagine so.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:12 AM

3,353 posts, read 3,774,624 times
Quote:
But you've got to remember that when you are asking a cop about crime in Durham, he or she is going think about what he or she deals with every day. Not what they DON'T deal with. Meaning, that cop spends the entire week dealing with criminals and that's the frame of reference. So maybe you ask about crime in general and this guy's just dealt with a gang-related offense in one section of town...he's going to be thinking of his work, and his work isn't to police when there is nothing going on, if that makes sense? A coworker of mine had a similar experience as you did, and though she loves living in Cary she kind of likes Durham and wishes she had asked around a bit more.

We've got people on this board who actually live there who are telling you guys that this is simply not the case. It used to make me really angry, not so much anymore, but I don't know what else we can tell you - would we really choose to live in a crime-ridden town? It's simply untrue. I also used to say it's laughable but frankly it's just not funny whatsoever. It's pathetic and often race-based so get more than one opinion...

Old 06-14-2008, 05:06 AM

5,507 posts, read 8,908,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlucasuk View Post
Hi all,

Getting ready to move to Durham at the end of summer! My girlfriend will be going to grad school at Duke and i'm transfering with work to Raleigh. My question is this... I see alot of reports on various web sites about the gangs in Durham and random car shootings. Seems like alot of viloence being reported. Of course, news is generally the bad and not the good so I wonder, is it a safe place to live? Are there 'no-go' areas? Are there areas that should be avoided? Should I worry about driving home at night? Now as someone who as lived in L.A and North London among other various cities including San Fran right now, I'm not typicaly too concerned about these things but that's because everywhere I have lived has clear segregation between the Bad and the Good areas. i.e, If you live in the bay and you're in Marin you will be safe, but if you cross the bridge and go to Oakland or Richmond you might have problems. I'm told that Durham lacks such borders between the decent and not so decent members of society. Little bit concerned as I dont know the area which leaves me feeling unsettled.
Help/ Advice much appreciated!
Living in those places Durham probably will seem safer to you. That being said overall Raleigh has less crime. People on this board like to take extremes with their opinions of Durham. You'll find people saying it's horrible and others will try and counter and make it sound like their is no crime. There is a crime map for Durham that shows were ones have occurred that should be helpful

Old 06-14-2008, 05:27 AM

3,353 posts, read 3,774,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You'll find people saying it's horrible and others will try and counter and make it sound like their is no crime. There is a crime map for Durham that shows were ones have occurred that should be helpful
Just to clarify, I'm not one of those people - there definitely is crime in Durham! So people should use that crime map. I haven't looked at it myself because I'm already here so I don't feel I need to; I know that in my experience I have not had any reason for concern. I am definitely more crime tolerant than say someone who has never lived in a city, so a lot of it is based on where you've lived before. (Gatornation for example I lived in St. Petersburg, FL for many years and that city used to face the same reputation problems as Durham - which except for southside are totally gone now).

Old 06-14-2008, 09:05 AM

3,021 posts, read 9,842,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Do you mean within the "city proper" or does that apply to outlying areas too?
Bill, I was refering to the cities themselves - properties with Raleigh or Durham addresses. I wish I could give specific cross streets to help identify these areas, but I'm not that familiar with southeast Raleigh and east central Durham, so I can't say. I've never encountered a time when I needed to go to those areas & I think most of us would say that they are very easy to avoid.

I don't think anyone on this forum is guilty of misleading people by painting Raleigh or Durham as crime-free, but I think it's just as misleading to paint either town with a broad brush and claim that one is horribly crime-ridden and the other is not. The truth is that the situation varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. The seedy neighborhoods represent a small section of these towns. I would feel quite happy and safe living in the majority of neighborhoods in Raleigh and Durham.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,018,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
I would be interested to hear about the statistics he provided. Care to elaborate?

I have actually though that there would be great value in comparing the rate of crime in various cities around the area to the coverage they get in local media. If this officer has already done so (and I assume he has, since there wouldn't really be a basis for his comment otherwise), I would love to see the data.

We didn't get into the nitty gritty details - it was an end of season pool party and the environment didn't seem right for a serious discussion. He was just so matter of a fact in his assessment & I didn't say much afterwards. Oh, and he lives in North Raleigh. I'm going to ask him more next season cause I'm interested...

Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 AM

76 posts, read 190,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Matt View Post
Yes, Durham is safe.
The area around Duke campus is NOT safe. I worked at Duke for 3 years, and we never dared to go off campus alone. Duke campus is pretty safe - they have a lot of security!
If your girlfriend will be attending/working for Duke, let it be known she needs to be extra careful.
I should also add the same for the American Tobacco Complex. Great complex, very safe, but don't step outside of the complex alone or at night.
There are some very nice condos on the American Tobacco complex if you're looking to live near Duke and next to the freeway.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 AM

3,120 posts, read 6,856,253 times
Of course the Duke campus isn't safe. It's in Durham!! Didn't some people get attacked there just the other night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary