U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:59 PM

2,278 posts, read 5,742,452 times

Advertisements

Normalized for the difference in populations, Durham has more crime. That is what I posted.

I have not bashed Durham over social issues. I have hung out in Durham. I have not ignored the positives. I've not said Durham is a bad place.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,050,098 times
What if Raleigh was compared to another city of similar size, that had a lower crime rate, would that make Raleigh a crime haven? I think not.

The same goes for Durham. It like comparing a Mercedes and a BMW. Just because one can perform better than the other doesn't mean it's trash.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Normalized for the difference in populations, Durham has more crime. That is what I posted.

I have not bashed Durham over social issues. I have hung out in Durham. I have not ignored the positives. I've not said Durham is a bad place.
Why don't you state the positives? I'm Raleighite and I refuse to let someone bash our sister city.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:05 PM

I never said Durham was a crime haven. I said it wasn't as safe as Raleigh. Just like Raleigh isn't as safe as Cary. I specifically said that I'm not making a judgment whether Durham is "safe" or not, just discussing the relative safety.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 415,388 times
Quote:

Out of curiosity, what data are you normalizing, here? I thought the discussion was on the current crime rates. I am not sure how that can really be normalized. Or, are you creating a data set based on the crime rate for numerous years? Or, monthly data, maybe?

Maybe my stats skills are a little rusty, but I didn't realize you could normalize a data set with only a couple numbers.

(I am not asking to pick on you or anything, but because I really want to know. I was a math major and find data analysis pretty interesting, but it has been years since I looked back over my notes from my stats classes)

Old 06-17-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I never said Durham was a crime haven. I said it wasn't as safe as Raleigh. Just like Raleigh isn't as safe as Cary. I specifically said that I'm not making a judgment whether Durham is "safe" or not, just discussing the relative safety.
However your comments can lead outsiders to believe just that.

The Triangle is a low crime, easy living utopia when compared with a lot of other large size metros. Many cities can only dream of having a low rate of crime such as Durham or Raleigh.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM

The per capita numbers normalize the data relative to the population differences (Raleigh is larger than Durham). It is a good idea to look at a period of years and at overall trends. A spike in a category one year isn't usually cause for concern if the overall trend is not up.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:13 PM

9,487 posts, read 25,273,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
No Raleigh has more crime numerically, if you want to get specific. Durham had 12 murders in 2007.
First off, I think both Durham and Raleigh are safe places to live.

That being said, I think if people are going to start throwing numbers around that at the very least they should be accurate.

The Durham Chief of Police contradicts your statement above. Accroding to him there were 25 murders in Durham in 2007. Where exactly are your numbers coming from???

Source: http://www.durhampolice.com/news/pdf/080422_1.pdf

I'm not bashing Durham. I like Durham. I just don't like it when people make incorrect statements based on false data.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
First off, I think both Durham and Raleigh are safe places to live.

That being said, I think if people are going to start throwing numbers around that at the very least they should be accurate.

The Durham Chief of Police contradicts your statement above. Accroding to him there were 25 murders in Durham in 2007. Where exactly are your numbers coming from???

Source: http://www.durhampolice.com/news/pdf/080422_1.pdf

I'm not bashing Durham. I like Durham. I just don't like it when people make incorrect statements based on false data.
Maybe 2006. My fault.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:18 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 415,388 times
Quote:
The per capita numbers normalize the data relative to the population differences (Raleigh is larger than Durham). It is a good idea to look at a period of years and at overall trends. A spike in a category one year isn't usually cause for concern if the overall trend is not up.
Which normalization form are you using for this analysis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary