U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 17,345 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Getting ready to move to Durham at the end of summer! My girlfriend will be going to grad school at Duke and i'm transfering with work to Raleigh. My question is this... I see alot of reports on various web sites about the gangs in Durham and random car shootings. Seems like alot of viloence being reported. Of course, news is generally the bad and not the good so I wonder, is it a safe place to live? Are there 'no-go' areas? Are there areas that should be avoided? Should I worry about driving home at night? Now as someone who as lived in L.A and North London among other various cities including San Fran right now, I'm not typicaly too concerned about these things but that's because everywhere I have lived has clear segregation between the Bad and the Good areas. i.e, If you live in the bay and you're in Marin you will be safe, but if you cross the bridge and go to Oakland or Richmond you might have problems. I'm told that Durham lacks such borders between the decent and not so decent members of society. Little bit concerned as I dont know the area which leaves me feeling unsettled.
Help/ Advice much appreciated!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:32 AM

3,021 posts, read 9,918,691 times
Raleigh and Durham are similar to other cities you know in that, yes, they both have some dicey sections, but most of these cities are nice places to live.

Generally speaking, people on this forum tell people to avoid southeast Raleigh and east central Durham. Those are pretty broad statements about fairly general areas and, yes, if one is familiar with those areas, some nice neighborhoods can be found, but it looks like you're looking for broad, general information. So there ya go.

Hang around this forum for a while. Search the archives and read the recent threads. You will find dozens of residents of Raleigh and Durham who love living in their neighborhoods and feel quite safe.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM

60 posts, read 185,005 times
Default Durham is safe

Yes, Durham is safe. If you asked the parent of a child recently hurt in a shooting, well... Over 20 years here, have personally never had a problem with crime that does exist. Currently live in West Durham, formerly two yrs in Central part, prior to that, Northern part. Went to middle and high schools and college in Durham. Have not run into any gang bangers although I'm aware that they're there, however they don't usually openly tell you if they are one. My advice, drive around Durham, especially during rush hours, and see what areas you like. West Durham apartments and neighborhoods are very close to Duke, and there are several bus routes many people use to get to campus. An awful lot of people choose to raise their families in Durham here instead of anywhere else in the world. Hope you do too.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:02 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,111,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Generally speaking, people on this forum tell people to avoid southeast Raleigh and east central Durham.
Do you mean within the "city proper" or does that apply to outlying areas too?

Old 06-13-2008, 03:15 PM

65 posts, read 242,517 times
Dont join a gang and you will be fine. No for real, I have been in Durham for 3 months and have had no problems. but I did hear of some car breakins in my area. I have never felt unsafe even in the "worst" parts of town.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:58 PM

3,353 posts, read 3,848,938 times
I've been here (Durham) for a year and I feel completely safe. There were some car break-ins in my apartment complex once and the GPS devices were stolen. I'm seriously never the least bit concerned!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:09 PM

3,149 posts, read 6,950,773 times
Quote:
people on this forum tell people to avoid southeast Raleigh and east central Durham.
Shoot, I tell people to stay away from ALL of Durham!!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:16 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,408,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post

That's funny! I tell people to stay away from people who tell them to stay away from All of Durham.

Gotta Run now, I'm missing some great music in Durham tonight at the American Tobacco Campus (http://www.americantobaccohistoricdistrict.com/music_on_the_lawn.html - broken link)!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:49 PM

3,353 posts, read 3,848,938 times
Quote:
yeah! Cuz we are all degenerates, or covered head-to-toe in body armor!

*flashes gang sign*

Oh wait, I don't really know what a gang sign is. Hm, Duke University is located in Durham so I'll pop on over there and ask the provost or something and get right back to you.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,049,216 times
Quote:
I guess you don't know anyone who works in RTP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary