Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times

Advertisements

Homes not insulated? Where? Whatever homes aren't insulated in NY state or anywhere in the NE (actaully anywhere in the nation) sure are breaking some major building codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 PM

121 posts, read 410,497 times
Default Oil in MA is $4.65

Just got an oil delivery today - $4.75 / gallon !!!

I am closing on my house here in MA next Friday, closing on my new home in N Raleigh the following Monday, and couldn't be happier to say goodbye to oil heat in New England.

I went through about 200 gallons / month in the coldest months of the winter. That will be about $1000 / month next year to heat this 2500 sq ft house.

Oil prices were not a factor for us for moving down south, but it will be a huge added bonus for us.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Homes not insulated? Where? Whatever homes aren't insulated in NY state or anywhere in the NE (actaully anywhere in the nation) sure are breaking some major building codes.
Homes are insulated of course. But many are poorly insulated! And old windows can leak volumes of air.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:43 AM

58 posts, read 48,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post

Not new homes, but there are many old homes up there that are not insulated at all. They did not have building codes back in the 1920's and 30's. I know several people that have absolutely no insulation. That's why older is not always better.

Articles

Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2

You'll be hard pressed to find a lot of newly built homes in lower NY. My grandmother's house was built in 1920, it's plaster over wood slats. No insulation. Our house in NY was built in the 50's and there was no insulation in it either - stuffed with newspapers between the walls.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
I don't see all the folks moving South.

They will be financially destroyed by the many multiple budget hits, lose their possessions to foreclosure and inability to pay movers, and will wind up needing public assistance.

Many older folks may just get completely disgusted with life and consider suicide.

We need to fix this mess now by getting the dollar back up. Ending the wars and stopping all trade with China might begin a turnaround.

I see mass tragedy this winter.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

They will be financially destroyed by the many multiple budget hits, lose their possessions to foreclosure and inability to pay movers, and will wind up needing public assistance.

Many older folks may just get completely disgusted with life and consider suicide.

We need to fix this mess now by getting the dollar back up. Ending the wars and stopping all trade with China might begin a turnaround.

That is quite an uplifting post! Good grief!

I guess as long as we all have enough cash on hand to purchase vinegar to drink some people will be ok.

I found a quarter in the parking lot today. Obviosuly something very bad is going to happen to me to make up for that good fortune.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/autumngal_photo/Smiley-huh.gif (broken link)

Old 06-10-2008, 11:37 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2

You'll be hard pressed to find a lot of newly built homes in lower NY. My grandmother's house was built in 1920, it's plaster over wood slats. No insulation. Our house in NY was built in the 50's and there was no insulation in it either - stuffed with newspapers between the walls.
Interesting...I'd expect more newer homes in the Hudson Valley region than here in Western NYS. But even here, most of the homes (atleast in suburban areas) were built in th 60's, 70's, or 80's....with insulation.

Also have to agree, saturnfan I'd suggest a visit to disney world or something to get your spirits up! I understand not wanting everyone up north to move south; but that last post was just a little too depressing.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:57 PM

245 posts, read 809,033 times
Loved the post about finding newspapers in the walls (talk about a fire hazard!) My uncle had a house near the water that was insulated with seaweed. Who knows, with global warming, the food crisis, and the health benefits of seaweed, maybe the guy who put the seaweed in there was actually a visionary genius!!

People up north are tough, they'll get through anything. The one situation that caused me to really scratch my head was when friends returned to CT from Atlanta and built a brand new southern-style house, cathedral ceilings, lofty spaces, etc. Expensive to heat- YAH! Their idea was to have a propane heater smack dab in the middle of the living room. Did I mention that they have young children? YIKES! There might be a safe way to do this, but having it in the middle of the playroom is not it.

I made the mistake of turning on the TV news yesterday instead of using internet, paper, etc. I was in despair over the economic crisis after about ten seconds.... then again, look at how many of those shows are sponsored by anti-depressant drugs!!! Times are tough, but come on, so much of this is media hype during an election year. I don't foresee any mass elder suicides (and hey, if you do, good time to invest in some sort of funeral home/florist/etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary