Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 PM

121 posts, read 410,658 times

Advertisements

Moving down from MA.

We started building a home in N Raleigh last October, and are closing on June 23rd. It seems like it took forever to get here, but here we are, just 2 more weeks!

My wife and I have really enjoyed this forum and have learned alot from all of you. Thank you all for the great information.

We will have a difficult time leaving our friends, family and home of nearly 13 years, but we are all so excited to start the next part of our lives in beautiful NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times
Congratulations..........where are u moving from?

We can't wait to move down......unfortunately it won't be until after Dec.....but it will be worth the wait......

I'll just keep living vicarously thru city-data until then....

Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 PM

37 posts, read 108,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwannabe2 View Post
Moving down from MA.

We will have a difficult time leaving our friends, family and home of nearly 13 years, but we are all so excited to start the next part of our lives in beautiful NC.
I moved here to Apex from the norht as well, about 4 yrs ago. (moved from OH, but originally from PA) I think the hardest part was moving so far away from everyone and everything that I've known, to a very unknown place. It's a big move, and saying goodbye is hard. I just had a friend move to the coast area 2 weeks ago, but for months she would say how hard leaving was feeling to her. So I can appreciate how you feel!

It's kind of bittersweet, because you are headed for a nice place, which you already know - that's why you decided to move! And it's the start of a new adventure! So it's exciting, yet also emotionally difficult.

Once you get past the goodbye and you are actually on your way, you'll be fine! You'll feel more excited than sad, and once you're here, you'll really be glad that you did it! So don't let the sadness make you second-guess your decision. It will all be more than fine in the end!

Best wishes!

Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 AM

42 posts, read 167,596 times
Talking Thank you!

What a great response! It's just what I needed to read, too! Thank you!

/NancyD (aka KingsFan4ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirit48 View Post
It's kind of bittersweet, because you are headed for a nice place, which you already know - that's why you decided to move! And it's the start of a new adventure! So it's exciting, yet also emotionally difficult.

Once you get past the goodbye and you are actually on your way, you'll be fine! You'll feel more excited than sad, and once you're here, you'll really be glad that you did it! So don't let the sadness make you second-guess your decision. It will all be more than fine in the end! Best wishes!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:26 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Congrats and good luck on your upcoming move! We did it 2 1/2 years ago and haven't regretted it. Our relocation was a bit hectic and hard on the family (we moved 3 times in 10 months to accomodate selling our house at the optimal time, job hunting without losing our great job in NJ, etc).

BUT it was all worth it....every single ounce of the stress on each of us, including the kids. They love it here as well and really do appreciate the life we have here in comparison to what we were able to have in NJ.

Keep your eyes on the goal and all will be well!
Lauren

Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 PM

kingsfan4ever, I'm glad you liked my post!

I truly understand what you may be feeling in the weeks just before the move. I think that's the hardest part. The packing - that makes it all very real, and it's a lot of emotion realizing you are really leaving. All of the physical work of packing is exhausting and stressful, both of which help stress levels rise, and I know for me, it makes me more emotional! So the packing, the memories, the emotion, the stress, it all makes things hard. Then of course the actual goodbye's are difficult. For me, each goodbye made me wonder if I was doing the right thing. But all of these things that happen just before the move are the hardest. So hang in there through this part!

Keep reminding yourself why you decided to move in the first place, so that you can keep that thought in your mind, especially at a tough moment. Then keep moving ahead with your plans to move. Really, once you actually begin the travel part, it starts to change into an exciting adventure! A new life in a great place!

Get through the hard part, and I promise, it'll will be better after that!

And, BTW, good for you for doing something that is a hard thing to do! Realize how strong you are for taking this step out of your comfort zone! We are all stronger than we realize most times. Realize how strong you are to actually do the hard thing here! Let that empower you knowing you can do the things that are tough when you need to!

Safe travels! And welcome to NC!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM

121 posts, read 410,658 times
[quote=JimnSue;4049217]Congratulations..........where are u moving from?
quote]

We are moving from Metrowest Mass.

Just did my walkthrough / home inspection today. Everything is on target for us to close week after next.

This has been a very tough week on the family as we are starting to say our goodbyes back home in MA. We just keep saying to ourselves....no more snow, no more snow.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:29 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,789 times
[quote=ncwannabe2;4074260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
Congratulations..........where are u moving from?
quote]

We are moving from Metrowest Mass.

Just did my walkthrough / home inspection today. Everything is on target for us to close week after next.

This has been a very tough week on the family as we are starting to say our goodbyes back home in MA. We just keep saying to ourselves....no more snow, no more snow.
There are so many people from Mass/NH and the like down here - I am sure there is something or even someone who will make it easier on you once you are here. Of course, the native NC's are tremendous too.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 AM

You are going to LOVE that it is about 70 degrees in Dec., Jan. You'll keep remembering what it's like in the north at that same time, and when you walk out of the house with a light jacket, and sometimes not even that, then you'll really know this was a good move! It's not always that warm, and there can be some chilly and frosty days, but comparatively, it's awesome!

The summers can be a bit brutal though. It is nice that you actually swim in late May/early June and into October. Unheard of in the north! To me it seems like there are 3 seasons: very hot summer, comfortable spring and fall, and cool winter. Often not a big difference between spring, fall, and winter temps.

And you're right: no more snow, no more snow, no more snow! Bring the ice scraper though - you will have to scrape a little frost off the car window sometimes. But give your salt for the sidewalk to someone up there who will really need it!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:04 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
I just want to wish you luck in your upcoming move! We moved here from RI 8 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. It is a great place to live and I know I'll be loving it that much more next winter!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary