Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:00 AM

86 posts, read 141,045 times

Advertisements

Steer clear of Durant road in a few years. Once they cap the landfill, gases will build up underneath that soil. If it isn't probably vented, which most never are. This could be a real threat to life.

Gases develop from decomposing materials mixing with natural micro-organisms.

Please keep in mind, with one big blast, this entire area could be wiped off the map.

Landfills are ticking time bombs. Every ten years, new regulations are set in place and new hazards are found in association with landfills.

SELL SELL SELL while you can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 01:20 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,207,679 times
I have never heard of a landfill anywhere in the United States, exploding randomly. Do you have a link to support your theories?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,658 times
Does anyone know where i can find info regarding the mandatory disclosure of the landfill to potential buyers?

We are buyiung a house there soon and builder hasn't told us about it.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,909,753 times
Please find attached info on Foster City California which was built on an landfill and is very high end. In addition up here expensive housing is found near previous and current landfills. Maybe they know a park is coming.

Foster City, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 PM

12 posts, read 33,521 times
Default Falls River Community

I really like the Falls River Community and as we are planning to buy a home in the New Year, Falls River will be one of my first "neighborhoods" to pursue. I read about this landfill discussion before on the threads and I am concerned. I drive through the area all the time to get to my rental house which is in between Falls River and Bedford and I have never smelled any bad smells, even when it was blazing hot out this past summer. Does anyone have any other thoughts on the community, good or bad?

Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 PM

578 posts, read 3,075,006 times
I've lived in Falls River since June and there's only be one day where I actually thought I smelled the dump. Otherwise you wouldn't really know it was there. I even walked the greenway trail once without even noticing the dump was the big hill on the other side of the fence.

I did take some home remodelling leftovers to the dump once. It was convenient it was right down the street. And it was fun throwing doors and stuff into a giant compactor.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:51 PM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,327,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maanalexander View Post
Does anyone know where i can find info regarding the mandatory disclosure of the landfill to potential buyers?

We are buyiung a house there soon and builder hasn't told us about it.
I don't know if this is the case, but the builder may not have to. For instance, I know that a builder does not have to disclose airplane noise to a potential buyer, but if you buy a home inside the noise corridor and then resell it you have to include airplane noise on the disclosure. This has always seemed entirely unfair to me, especially for out-of-town buyers buying new construction. The same thing may apply to the landfill: the builder is under no obligation to disclose it, but anyone who buys the home will have to do so when they sell. Again, I don't know if this is the case - it is just a possibility.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,146,671 times
In NC, sellers must disclose. A builder is a seller. I've sat with my buyers many times when signing the builders' contracts and there is always a few "disclosure clauses".

I know in North Raleigh, Sellers that live in parts of Falls River do disclose the landfill. However, in Bedford, they do not have to disclose it. As a buyer's agent, I try to let my buyers know what is close by, even if its a bit of a distance just so they know.

I'm not sure how far from the landfill the house must be in order that it doesn't have to be disclosed.

I know with the airport, its tracked by decibels. There is a map that shows if you are in a certain area, the noise must be disclosed.

There are issues in this area that buyers should be aware of such as 540 being extended, airport noise, masonite siding, poly pipes, landfill, quaries, etc., etc.

If you don't know, ask your agent. Drive around, talk to the neighbors.

Vicki

Old 11-10-2007, 01:23 AM

171 posts, read 877,516 times
Default Our airport is built on an old landfill....

Hi, I just thought I'd share about a place that is built on top of an old landfill and what they've done to maintain it.

I live in San Diego County in CA. I have flown many times from this airport and it is in a city with many, many regulations and maintains a terrific reputation. Carlsbad, CA The airport is great and they service many passengers considering they are quite small and they maintain the runways and tower very well. But from the air you can see the settling of the roads in and around it and driving through it you'd wonder why the streets have such deep dips. If you weren't told, you'd never know part of the airport is built on top of an old landfill. The article below is very interesting, especially about how they maintain the buildings on the changing/settling landscape.

Closed Landfill Prepares For Takeoff

Old 11-10-2007, 06:54 AM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,327,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I know with the airport, its tracked by decibels. There is a map that shows if you are in a certain area, the noise must be disclosed.
For RDU, there is an exemption for the first sale for homes that have not been previously occupied. See RDU Aircraft Noise Program. But Vickie makes a very good point: a seller's agent will be able to alert a potential buyer to the RDU noise as well as other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary