Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:18 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times

Advertisements

ahhhh.... that would be why I never heard of it......thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 12:20 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times
Default LOL Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
Oh, I thought it was a joke.. Is it a defense? Or praying to God for Good Judgement in the end?

So did I.....

Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 PM

15 posts, read 48,188 times
to the OP :
did your husband get the ticket because he didn't come to a complete stop when turning right on a red light ?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:32 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I recently got a speeding ticket, which in itself is funny because I drive SLOW. However, I was not paying attention and was indeed, speeding.

The cop told me to just send in the money for the ticket and that would be that.

However, I later learned from one of my real estate attorneys that had I done that, the $150 for the ticket would have been the cheapest part of the saga since my insurance would have gone up about $100 per month!

I called a local attorney (in the county that I got the ticket...thanks, Granville County). He went to court for me, got the charge changed from a moving violation to something that will not affect my insurance and for that I paid him $150 plus the court costs and fines, which totaled $300 but was still better than having to pay the additional money on my insurance.

So now I know...always hire an attorney for a ticket because they can get it reduced to a lesser charge that saves you later.

Vicki

Old 06-13-2008, 01:22 PM

214 posts, read 1,002,355 times
Quote:
Seriously, I wish I could get him into the car pool lane with him in the back seat. Since there's no driving class here to remove points, then, He should get on the phone and lawyer up. Any recommendations on Who? or just open the phone book?

Prayer for Judgement was funny. No doubt..
I used David Venable for my traffic ticket and I highly recommend him. He got my speeding ticket (72 in a 55) down to 64 in a 55 using a PJC with no insurance points. He was recommended by a family friend who is a lawyer in Raleigh. His fee was $280, which covers his costs as well as any court costs.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:38 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Usually if you show up for court and talk to the DA you could get a 17 over dropped to a 9 over and not have any insurance hit. No lawyer and no PJC.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
The cop migh not show up in court and I believe it can be dropped then. It happened to me in FL, don't know about NC though.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,195 times
Quote:
Well my husband managed to do it again. Another stinking ticket. We have been paying astronomical car insurance because of his awful record in NJ. The car insurance is all set to go back down to the normal rate in September. Even though he canged his NJ license to NC, the high NJ car insurance followed him here. He did not come to a complete stop at Marvino and Glenwood. The cop must of been hiding somewhere. So since this would be first offense in NC What do you think the chances are of going to court and having it changed to some kind of non moving violation with No points? Keeping my fingers crossed.
Go to court yourself and save your money . Prepare for a long wait and speak to the ADA. Tell them that you would like the matter to be dealt with immediately if they could be lenient and see what they offer - If its a good deal and doesn't affect your insurance take it . If not ask them for a continuance so you can hire a solicitor.
My wife did that and her speeding ticket was reduced to a level that didn't affect her insurance . The ADa has about 1000 cases a day to deal with and just wants to dispose of them

Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
Thanks for all your replies. We did contact a lawyer because the way the "hubby's luck " is we just can't take a chance. Though I wish I could take his keys away from him. We were quoted $250.00 and that covers lawyers fee, fines paid to court, and we don't have to take a day off work. Lawyers in NC are nicer then those in NJ.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:16 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
The cop migh not show up in court and I believe it can be dropped then. It happened to me in FL, don't know about NC though.
Don't count on that happening, although it can. I was a cop for 4 years in VA and I never once missed a court date, although many people that I had given tickets to did

From what I understand about NC so far, you could probably get your speed at least droped to 9 over if he had no previous offenses within a certain time period. I came from a very libral county court system in VA and judges droped charges left and right.

PS - I set my cruise on 63mph on the beltline in the AM (60mph speed limit) and I get passed like I'm not even there! I've been saving 15% on my fuel cost though and my 19 mile commute only takes me about 1½ minutes longer. Well worth it IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary