Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,148 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating to this area and all that I've heard from people who have moved there is that this area is abound with opportunity, and there is no unemployment. What do all you natives here say?

I'm pretty desperate to get out of the city I'm in right now, it's dying and there is no job growth at all whatsoever. In a few years St. Louis will be as bad off as Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
Your friends are pulling your leg. Our streets are not paved with gold. Though with how much it costs to build them, sometimes I think they must be paved with gold.

And we do have unemployed workers here. Not as bad as Detriot (~7%) or St Louis (~5.5%), but there are places in the country that are doing better. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is at about 3.5% unemployment.

Browse US MSA Civilian Labor Force Data

Last edited by NewUser; 06-17-2008 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,411 times
If they were paved with gold you would end up being taxed so be glad they are not.

The job market is good for some, not so good for others around here. It depends on your field, experience, transferable skills, trade offs with what you want etc. Unemployment is low in the Triangle area compared to regions where they depend on a select number of industrial jobs or locations to support the community. Housing is still very affordable in comparison to some major areas of the country and crime is pretty low when you compare to most cities with this population and per 100k people.

My suggestion would be to come out to visit, see if you enjoy the climate, way of life, areas of residence etc. and see if it fits you and yours. It's not worth making the move to only want to be out of here in 2-4 years. Search this forum thoroughly for what you want and look for comparisons from people who are in or where in similar situations as you. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:34 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,148 times
Yeah I was jokin about the streets being paved in gold. That's a saying poor european immigrants used to say when talking about America long ago.

Anyway, I have a 4-year degree in business administration. My last job was working as a mortgage loan processor. The company I worked for went under last fall & I haven't found work here yet. My wife works as an RN, so she will have no problem whatsoever finding employment. I will have to come there to NC for a few days and check it out I guess. Like I said, I have nothing keeping me here, crime is high, the weather is awful, there are no jobs, so I'm ready to leave.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,875 times
zoomzoom3 - Wachovia has a mortgage center in Cary, NC. I continue to see postings for that area.

Wachovia Careers

Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Your friends are pulling your leg. Our streets are not paved with gold. Though with how much it costs to build them, sometimes I think they must be paved with gold.

And we do have unemployed workers here. Not as bad as Detriot (~7%) or St Louis (~5.5%), but there are places in the country that are doing better. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is at about 3.5% unemployment.

Browse US MSA Civilian Labor Force Data
You site has data from 2004.......
2008 data Raleigh unemployement is now at 5.8%,,, Raleigh Jobs (NC) | SimplyHired
Raleigh avg salary is 39,000 Charlotte is 40,000 and the state is 36,000. This site claims a 17% decrease in jobs
Large population jump has put pressure on jobs and competition is at its highest in all fields. Large number of job seekeres has out numbered jobs causing higher unemployement. Brother is a morgage broker and he is struggling now, only a year ago he could not keep up. Things have really trended down here in all areas except unemployment. If you have nothing to lose then why not check out the area but you should check out other areas as well, you might find the next boom town first.

Last edited by NC man; 06-17-2008 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,036 times
Some people think its a great job market, some people think its terrible...in part this is industry-based (medical/science/tech versus business/finance)

I'd recommend that you move here with a plan to subsist for some time without a full time job....if you set yourself up with the assumption you will quickly find a job, you will be asking for trouble - it's certainly possible but not an expectation worth risking problems over.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
You site has data from 2004........
Good catch NC man. I didn't even notice that.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Good catch NC man. I didn't even notice that.
Even so, NC man's site had questionable numbers. It had the unemployment rate in Detroit at over 20% and the rate in St. Louis at over 11%. In one place it had the national rate at 5.8% and 6.9% in another place. I wouldn't use that data for anything meaningful.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the April 2008 rate for Raleigh-Cary was 4.0%.

Raleigh-Cary, NC Economy at a Glance

Old 06-17-2008, 09:46 AM

396 posts, read 1,105,155 times
Short answer: No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary