Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 AM

144 posts, read 468,640 times

Advertisements

Turns out my expensive BCBSNC insurance do not cover vision exam, so I need to find a reliable and affordable place for eye exam and order contacts online.

Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 11:54 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,124 times
I use the eye care associates in Wake Forest...Not sure where in the triangle you are 'looking' regarding eye care. I find them to be reliable as I usually see better when I leave there than when I went in. Affordable that is in the 'eyes' of the payer!

I am trying to find a place myself that when I close my one eye and look at the bill its only 1/2 as much but no luck so far!

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,449 times
Try the eye care places in Walmart.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 PM

319 posts, read 1,478,418 times
Which BCBSNC do you have? I am guessing you did not opt for vision coverage? Did you ask them if there is a discount plan on the eye exam attached to your plan? As an ex eye care professional, I would recommend Dr. Besharat at Lenscrafters at Southpoint or Dr. Miller at Lenscrafters at North Hills Mall. I like Dr. Miller because he takes his time and the North Hills location is not very busy. He is thorough and patient. My partner is picky (high astigmatic) and will be seeing him this year. I know my plan gives me a discount rate on the regular eye exam--$43. Contacts lens fittings is where they get you. I would call around and tell the dr.'s office what type of contacts you wear and how much the CL fitting will run. I buy my contacts from Costco. They are fairly inexpensive. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:00 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Dr. Miller is really good.

Lenscrafters sells junky frames but contacts aren't affected and you can buy them online.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:44 PM

847 posts, read 3,521,720 times
Costco eye exam... the lenses there might beat what you'll find online, too.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,613,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Costco eye exam... the lenses there might beat what you'll find online, too.
I don't know about the Costco in Durham, but I will advise that you call around and check prices. I found the eye doctor at the Costco in North Raleigh to be extremely expensive. I have BCBS, and my out-of-pocket was 2x what I paid the year before at an eye doctor in Apex. I mistakenly assumed that because they were sharing space with Costco that they'd be reasonably priced. I still love Costco, but I won't be going back to that eye doctor again.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 PM

847 posts, read 3,521,720 times
I might be off by $10 or so, but I'm remembering the eye exam was $50 and the contact add-on was $20 more. That was the Costco in Durham.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:07 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,613,953 times
I think my copay with BCBS was $85, and then my insurance paid them another $120. I'd never seen an eye exam cost over $200 before! I could see maybe if they had to do a lot of work fitting my contacts, but I just got a refill of the same brand/type I had been using for years. Eye dilation would have been an extra charge. Anyhow, I just mention this in case people think that just because it's at Costco, it's automatically less expensive.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
I use the eye care associates in Wake Forest...Not sure where in the triangle you are 'looking' regarding eye care. I find them to be reliable as I usually see better when I leave there than when I went in. Affordable that is in the 'eyes' of the payer!

I am trying to find a place myself that when I close my one eye and look at the bill its only 1/2 as much but no luck so far!

Good luck with your search!
I'm pretty sure the doctor and the eyeglass part are two different owners.. not that it matters...

I would suggest getting a quality eye exam - tell them you have bcbs and you just may get a 20% discount. After your exam, ask for your prescription (required by law) and shop around for frames. You have to watch for add ons - I like the compressed lens.

You don't have to get your frames/lens at the same place.. just get our Rx and shop around.

I stress a quality exam - there is a difference.

My husband's company dropped our vision rider last year - the whole industry is changing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary