Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,093,938 times

Advertisements

I guess we're just lucky with TWC.

Great service, courtesy, and fair pricing.

We have basic + standard and Roadrunner Lite 768.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 03:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,200,979 times
I'm very happy with TWC. I've got the Cheapo "Penny Pincher" plan. Only cost $11 and change. But my TV picks up the HD signal for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and UNC TV. I use to be a TV junky so having only a few stations is a good thing for me. Otherwise I would waste away in front tv never to be heard from again!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:40 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,583,997 times
I think both Directv and Time Warner are too expensive once you get past their intro deals. I also think the picture is better with Directv, and neither's DVR comes anywhere close to Tivo functionality and reliability. Unfortunately my new house may have too many trees to the south for me to stick with Directv - and the biggest issue I have with going back to TWC is not having Bravo!

I guess having trees is better than watching Bravo anyhow! I can just spend my time looking out at my backyard instead!

Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 PM

214 posts, read 661,973 times
I have Dish Network with HD and like it. They also have some HD Only package for 39 or $49 per month which includes all non-premium HD stations. But you do lose a lot of channels that they don't carry in HD such as BBC-America, Spike, etc. Their DVR isn't as good as Tivo, but it's pretty good.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,707,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I think both Directv and Time Warner are too expensive once you get past their intro deals. I also think the picture is better with Directv, and neither's DVR comes anywhere close to Tivo functionality and reliability. Unfortunately my new house may have too many trees to the south for me to stick with Directv - and the biggest issue I have with going back to TWC is not having Bravo!

I guess having trees is better than watching Bravo anyhow! I can just spend my time looking out at my backyard instead!
I say chop down the trees! I had Tivo with Directv in prior years and I think that the Directv HD-DVR is pretty good. I like the functionality of Directv's HD-DVR and the media-share and on-demand functions of the DVR. And I can't live without Bravo. "Project Runway" returns on July 16th. Yeh! "Flipping Out" on Bravo is also good.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,287,808 times
Thumbs up Los Angeles suing TWC for poor service

I believe many other cities will follow with their own lawsuits. Unfortunately, I think it's the only way to get Time Warner's attention. I left them years ago but the customer service experience was so bad, I still grit my teeth.

L.A. to sue Time Warner Cable over poor service - Los Angeles Times (broken link)

Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,583,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I say chop down the trees! I had Tivo with Directv in prior years and I think that the Directv HD-DVR is pretty good. I like the functionality of Directv's HD-DVR and the media-share and on-demand functions of the DVR. And I can't live without Bravo. "Project Runway" returns on July 16th. Yeh! "Flipping Out" on Bravo is also good.
Cut down the trees? Blasphemy! Trees are the whole reason I'm moving!

Well, I'll have Directv come out and do a site survey or whatever before giving in to TWC. Maybe if they put the dish way up on the chimney or something it will work.

I've heard the Direct HD-DVR is good - but I've been scarred by my experience with their standard DVR. I could never count on it to actually record the programming I selected. It was incredibly frustrating. I wound up getting a used discontinued Directivo off Craigslist instead. Much better!

Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM

776 posts, read 1,679,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditbasser View Post
So we are new to Chapel Hill and my girlfriend just signed us up for TWC last week. The nightmare began when they said our address isn't listed, then our address probably isn't serviceable (TWC was just canceled at the address a couple weeks before!) Finally after the 4th phone call they agreed to send a tech out. I met the installer and everything seemed fine until we looked at the bill. She signed up for a cable package and DVR along with .768 roadrunner internet for $64.90 (+taxes) yet somehow our monthly bill is for over $110 before taxes. The bill is screwed up and we are getting some package she didn't ask for and being billed for a second box that we don't have. Then she finds out that the channel Bravo she wants isn't included or even available. So I called a buddy and he said I was crazy to go with TWC and just to call DirecTV like he ended up doing and save a bunch of trouble. Well Direct TV is coming out this week now and we are getting the 150 channel package and the dry bellsouth DSL line for internet. It comes out to around $65 for 150 channels, DVR service with free receiver and (supposedly) faster 1.5 internet speeds. We'll see what heppens. Please tell me TWC isn't going to expect us to pay cancellation fees?

BTW: on a side note our cable and internet were out all night two nights ago. I called and they said it would be on by 10:45 pm, it was around 8:30pm at the time. At midnight we had nothing. I plugged my phone number in to supposedly get a call as soon as service was restored, never got a call. I have no idea if that is a normal occurrence but it was our first week with TWC.
That's one thing I can't complain about Time Warner. Whenever I've had an outage, they've been pretty quick to correct it...and they also let me know when it should be back up and running. It's fairly accurate.

You "should" only be charged a termination fee if you've called them to complain in the past and they agree to cut some of your monthly costs. The whole idea here is, they want to keep you on the books. So, they can offer you a silly savings plan for 1-2 years, and in case you still have doubts, they can lock you in by making you pay a termination fee, should you decide to move on. I even asked the guy, "Ok, what if I move out of state to say, an area that has Comcast or something?" He admitted that any cancellation of my account would lead to a termination fee if I took the savings plan. I'm sure when I call to cancel service now, they will try to blow me away with a great offer to stay.

I think my bill comes to about $115 or something. I have the standard Digipic1000, Road Runner, and the sports and game package. Plus there are those entertainment and convenience taxes and stuff. Ugh. I couldn't believe that standard cable (channels 2-77) costs $54 now! Unreal.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:11 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,707,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Cut down the trees? Blasphemy! Trees are the whole reason I'm moving!

Well, I'll have Directv come out and do a site survey or whatever before giving in to TWC. Maybe if they put the dish way up on the chimney or something it will work.

I've heard the Direct HD-DVR is good - but I've been scarred by my experience with their standard DVR. I could never count on it to actually record the programming I selected. It was incredibly frustrating. I wound up getting a used discontinued Directivo off Craigslist instead. Much better!
Sorry to hear about your SD DVR experience. I have a SD DVR (R-15) in my spare bedroom from Directv and it works well. The good thing about Directv is that they are constantly releasing software updates for all of their current receivers. Those updates tend to take care of most issues. Hope that you have better luck and that you have proper line of site without cutting down the trees.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:19 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,093,938 times
Thanks for the info.

Contracts are new for TWC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary