Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
Of course only after some people relocate should we close the doors on others?

Our infrastructure is not stressed at all. There are always projects to be done, but we are in great shape here. That is why Cary can allocate 35 million dollars to pretty up it's downtown. The money is available in excess.

New residents do not add to the tax burden. New residents relieve the tax burden, as they pay in more than the associated costs of having them here. This is how this area has been able to improve so much.

Not every single area is picture perfect here. Might I suggest that a relocation to Cary is in order, so one might see how well things are done when growth is handled so well? Rents are affordable here, so a relocation would be easy.
I've been on Walnut Street and compare it to not so many years ago. Very poor planning flooding the area with unending amounts of retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:37 PM

551 posts, read 574,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
flooding the area with unending amounts of retail.

I love the retail. They are developing a lot more near where I live in Cary and it is going to be great. They say the price of land has gone up a lot here, as the retail will increase property values, due to so many people wanting to live in close proximity to shopping and dining. It just keeps getting better over here.

With my awesome location, I have a tiny commute to work and when all the retail development is done I will be able to leave the car at home and walk or bike to everything. I already can do that now, but will have many more options over the next 2 years. I could not have picked a better spot to buy a home.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:31 PM

353 posts, read 995,670 times
Can we bury this dead horse, it stinks.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:41 AM

299 posts, read 634,997 times
Quote:
The issue is for us and our children.

As in California and Long Island, most communities were accessible to middle class working people until the areas "gentrified". Then, only the very well paid families could afford to live in their home town after getting out on their own.

The higher paid folks have enough overpriced places to live without making even more cities unaffordable.

We now see the effects of bubbles as they burst bringing down lenders and Wall Street investment banks. When prices are pushed up, some people will still overspend their means and some corrupt lenders will enable them to do so.

The American dream needs to be redefined in order to stop wasting our resources on ignorant automobile commuting and oversized homes consuming too much water and energy.

People here need to rein in their desires and think of their country's future.

Sorry for the rant. Nothing personal. It's the "entitlement" society that's at fault here.

Sorry, SF, but I'm not sure what the above has to do with my response to your rant. It really doesn't apply to your complaints about growth. I don't see the entitlement that you're referring to at fault here in the Triangle area. I see prosperity and steady growth and consistent rise in property values as of late. The American dream is still to own a home, raise a happy, healthy family in a safe area and hopefully be able to save for retirement. There have always been the chosen few who may feel entitled to waste energy and resources but that has been going on since the beginning of time. Remember learning about the conspicuous consumption of the steel magnates and railroad barons at the turn of the century? Just think of their "cottages" in Newport used for a couple months a year and you'll see that things really haven't changed as much as you might believe.

As far as oversized homes consuming energy or commutes using gas, what would you like to see? All of us living in small apartments, living close enough to work in order to walk? That's not feasible, either. I would love to see a better public transportation system and more carpooling and realize that would be a benefit to all. However, in regards to energy consumption and homes, most newer homes are built much better and cost far less than an older, smaller home. There have been many posters on other threads that have indicated that they spend less to cool and heat some of their larger, newer homes that are more energy efficient than their previous smaller and older homes.

The Triangle area is one of the more affordable, quality areas to live in the country from what I've read. I moved here for that reason and also because I admired what I saw in terms of expansion for the most part. Cary did a great job, IMO, as far as limiting growth of shopping centers and the restrictions in signs and their requirements as far as landscaping. I only have to think back to the beautiful tree filled area where I lived on the east side of Orlando 16 years ago and compare it to road after road of strip malls, fast food restaurants and more chain stores than anyone could ever possibly utilize. It really makes me appreciate Cary's restrictions that they have placed on growth. I can only hope that Holly Springs will do some of the same.

For all your complaints about growth, SF, where would we be without it in terms of science, technology, education and so many other areas that have benefit us greatly throughout history. I find limiting growth far more frightening than encouraging it, especially with your mindset regarding growth. Work to keep the change positive and you might find yourself appreciating it a lot more and seeing things in a different light.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:49 AM

299 posts, read 634,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
That is the beauty of this area. The small homes that were affordable 10 years ago are still affordable. Just because someone builds a 5000 sq ft house that costs $750,000 doesn't mean you have to buy that one. You can still buy the affordable small home. We are in no way even close to a bubble market here. Homes appreciate at a nice fairly even single digit rate. The more people that move here, along with more businesses LESSEN the tax burden on other people. The taxes paid in by the growth OUT PACES the strain on resources. No growth certainly dooms a town. The properly managed growth we have here makes for a more stable, well funded and enjoyable way of life. This area is one of the best places in the country to live for a reason. Because it combines an incredible quality of life with LOW home prices, LOW rent, LOW taxes, EXCELLENT services, EXCELLENT parks, PROPERLY managed growth. This are is not going downhill because of growth, it keeps getting better BECAUSE of it.
Very well said It's nice to know so many of us do appreciate this area for the same reasons and because of this we'll be working together to keep it this way. There will be periods of adjustment but with similar goals among the residents of the Triangle area, it will continue to prosper and grow with positive benefits that will work for all of us.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
Very well said It's nice to know so many of us do appreciate this area for the same reasons and because of this we'll be working together to keep it this way. There will be periods of adjustment but with similar goals among the residents of the Triangle area, it will continue to prosper and grow with positive benefits that will work for all of us.
Let's all hope what you just said is true.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 AM

551 posts, read 574,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
Sorry, SF, but I'm not sure what the above has to do with my response to your rant. It really doesn't apply to your complaints about growth. I don't see the entitlement that you're referring to at fault here in the Triangle area. I see prosperity and steady growth and consistent rise in property values as of late. The American dream is still to own a home, raise a happy, healthy family in a safe area and hopefully be able to save for retirement. There have always been the chosen few who may feel entitled to waste energy and resources but that has been going on since the beginning of time. Remember learning about the conspicuous consumption of the steel magnates and railroad barons at the turn of the century? Just think of their "cottages" in Newport used for a couple months a year and you'll see that things really haven't changed as much as you might believe.

As far as oversized homes consuming energy or commutes using gas, what would you like to see? All of us living in small apartments, living close enough to work in order to walk? That's not feasible, either. I would love to see a better public transportation system and more carpooling and realize that would be a benefit to all. However, in regards to energy consumption and homes, most newer homes are built much better and cost far less than an older, smaller home. There have been many posters on other threads that have indicated that they spend less to cool and heat some of their larger, newer homes that are more energy efficient than their previous smaller and older homes.

The Triangle area is one of the more affordable, quality areas to live in the country from what I've read. I moved here for that reason and also because I admired what I saw in terms of expansion for the most part. Cary did a great job, IMO, as far as limiting growth of shopping centers and the restrictions in signs and their requirements as far as landscaping. I only have to think back to the beautiful tree filled area where I lived on the east side of Orlando 16 years ago and compare it to road after road of strip malls, fast food restaurants and more chain stores than anyone could ever possibly utilize. It really makes me appreciate Cary's restrictions that they have placed on growth. I can only hope that Holly Springs will do some of the same.

For all your complaints about growth, SF, where would we be without it in terms of science, technology, education and so many other areas that have benefit us greatly throughout history. I find limiting growth far more frightening than encouraging it, especially with your mindset regarding growth. Work to keep the change positive and you might find yourself appreciating it a lot more and seeing things in a different light.
Nice job.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:41 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,527 times
Quote:
The issue is for us and our children.

As in California and Long Island, most communities were accessible to middle class working people until the areas "gentrified". Then, only the very well paid families could afford to live in their home town after getting out on their own.

The higher paid folks have enough overpriced places to live without making even more cities unaffordable.

We now see the effects of bubbles as they burst bringing down lenders and Wall Street investment banks. When prices are pushed up, some people will still overspend their means and some corrupt lenders will enable them to do so.

The American dream needs to be redefined in order to stop wasting our resources on ignorant automobile commuting and oversized homes consuming too much water and energy.

People here need to rein in their desires and think of their country's future.

Sorry for the rant. Nothing personal. It's the "entitlement" society that's at fault here.
I don't get this line of thinking. To me, the "entitlement" society are the folks who think that they are "entitled" to food stamps, welfare, medicaid and other forms of public assistance. Those programs are there to help those in need and I don't have a problem with people in need using them. But the "entitlement" society thinks that their woes are someone else's fault and it's ok for them to collect their UI check and sit on their laurels on gov't assistance until the perfect job comes along. Or something like that.

To me, the "McMansion" crowd (for lack of a better term--I'm using your words here), are not the "entitlement" crowd. I agree some of the "McMansion" owners might be a bit obnoxious, thinking that they are so great because they have a big house. But the only thing sad about that is that they are insecure enough to feel defined only by their possessions, not their merits. I don't think they feel "entitled" to a McMansion. Hey, they work, they can afford the mortgage payment and hopefully the help to clean the 4000+ sq ft--more power to them. And if they came from a higher priced area, then they sold a smaller house and want more space. Again, more power to them. Obviously, someone is working to pay the bills, no matter which city they live. No "entitlement" there.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 AM

I agree with you about the show-off mentality revolving around McMansions and giant gas guzzlers.

"My dog's bigger than your dog" seems to be involved in many of these decisions.

How many McMansion owners really "need" all that space?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:19 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,527 times
Quote:
I agree with you about the show-off mentality revolving around McMansions and giant gas guzzlers.

"My dog's bigger than your dog" seems to be involved in many of these decisions.

How many McMansion owners really "need" all that space?
Yes, it's obnoxious. But really, who cares if they "need" it or not? They pay the property tax so the state benefits, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary