Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Now, there is the conflict for one who has a choice between the Wake Animal Shelter and the SPCA.

Do you "patronize" the SPCA because they treat the animals better? Or do you adopt from the county shelter because you know those animals need love even more? "Boycotting" the animal shelter only makes things worse for the poor creatures who are there, and they certainly didn't have a choice about being in the "lesser" place--yet the drive to choose the SPCA because they are more humane is so strong. I can't say what I'd do--perhaps donate to the SPCA (which I do) but I would probably feel compelled to rescue an animal from the one in worse conditions Right now, my two dogs and a cat won't allow me to adopt any more, anyway.

Quite a dilemma. Let's hope the county shelter brings up standards and decreases the difference between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 04:18 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,116 times
Default lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
For my own part I would start with regulating the puppy mills that sell dogs in the paper and elsewhere and the dog breeders that drop off excess puppies at the SPCA or rest areas etc etc

Sorry for th rant but I'm a dog lover

I believe that Palm Beach County in FL is doing this now - if you're a backyard breeder, your time is up. All dogs must be sterilized or pay hefty fees to be maintained "in tact." Either this went up for a vote and passed or is going up for a vote to pass. Thank heavens...someone needs to lead the way!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:06 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Unfortunately, there are people who have NO business getting pet(s). It never failed, growing up, that my Mother would get it into her head that she wanted a lap dog. We went through several, from toy poodles to a Pekingnese, and lastly, a small collie of some sort. She tired of the poor things, we children had to care for a dog we didn't want or like, in the first place, and eventually it became the 'yard dog.' Add that to the dilemma of breeders who mass produce the animals for some, like my Mother, who have absolutely no sense of what caring for a pet entails.

It is a shame we even have such a problem in the US.

I liked the suggestion one made here of donating to the SPCA, and then rescuing an unfortunate animal from the shelter that sees nothing wrong with euthanasia by means of carbon monoxide. My husband and I rescued breeds made 'popular' by TV, the media, and the like, because they are cute or handsome, or because the stars have them. Sheesh.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 14,717 times
I chose to adopt from the SPCA a few months ago and gained the best feline friend - it was a first rate experience. At the time I had no idea about the difference between the Shelter and the SPCA. If I had to do it over, I may have gone to the shelter and saved a life -- now I will give my money to the SPCA in the hopes they can take care of even more furry friends.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 PM

214 posts, read 1,001,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan3 View Post
I chose to adopt from the SPCA a few months ago and gained the best feline friend - it was a first rate experience. At the time I had no idea about the difference between the Shelter and the SPCA. If I had to do it over, I may have gone to the shelter and saved a life -- now I will give my money to the SPCA in the hopes they can take care of even more furry friends.
You still saved a life no matter if you adopted from the SPCA or from the shelter. The SPCA pulls their animals from their local intake shelter, so when you adopted that cat you opened up another space for an animal to be pulled from the shelter. Kudos to you for adopting!!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
Mark your calendars for the SPCA Fur Ball on October 5th! >^,,^<

SPCA of Wake County:

Old 06-20-2009, 10:28 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
I have somewhat of a dilemma...

On Thursday, I was approached by a very thirsty, yet very friendly dog in my front yard (Wake Crossroads). It was wearing a collar, but no name and no microchip. I fed it, and just let it run loose in my backyard. I'm an animal lover, so I took it to the vet to make sure it was ok. And the dog checks out fine...the vet thinks it's 1 - 3 years old, border collie mix. I put up some signs all over my neighborhood...posted a "found dog" on Craigslist...and reported a found dog to the SPCA and animal shelter. Yet, no one has claimed to own this dog so far, 48 hours later. Frankly, if my dog is gone...I'm checking EVERYWHERE...shelters, SPCA, signs...so now I'm starting to think it's an abandoned animal (judging by the weight of the dog...this might be accurate).

I really cannot keep this thing much longer since I'm headed to out of town tomorrow. Plus, I've already got my hands full with another dog...that is well, noticeably upset that another dog is in it's "territory".

If I call Animal Control...would I know where the dog is headed? Do they go to the SPCA or the Wake Animal Shelter? In all likelihood, it doesn't appear that any one will claim it...so, I'm guessing they would eventually put the dog down? That, of course, affects me (psychologically, since I'm the one that puts the call into Animal Control and starts the process of termination). It's amazing, because it would be so much easier if this dog was violent or unfriendly because I'd probably have no problem calling it in (of course, I'd probably be getting rabies treatments right about now). This dog is very puppy-like...always wants to play, seems somewhat trained (though does like to jump until I say "down", which it seems to understand).

Does anyone know the process these strays go through?

Oh and a related note...if you buy a dog...make sure it's got a microchip. This has been a frustrating few days.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:49 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Related thoughts:

- There are tons of puppies at the Wake County Animal Shelter:
WakeGOV.com - Animal Care, Control and Adoption Center

- A friend of mine who does animal rescue rec'd a dog this past week from a vet. The owners wanted the vet to put it down, and the dog was purebred (and not that common a breed), was small, friendly, obedient, housetrained, spayed, and still considered young. A gorgeous little DOLL of a dog!

The reason the owners wanted to put it down? They wanted to get some OTHER dog(!). The vet refused to euthanize it said they'd find it a good home -- the vet had often taken care of the dog in the owners' absence, so they knew it was an excellent dog.

As long as there are irresponsible people, there will be dog (and cat) overpopulation and suffering.

- My thrift shop of choice is ReTails on North Market Drive in Raleigh (where there are two other thrift shops, including Goodwill, a block from Walmart). ReTails website is: ** AnimalKind.org **

One hundred percent of the profits from ReTails supports the "$20 Fix," their spay/neuter assistance programs that helps low-income people to spay or neuther their pets for only $20.

Fewer pets, less suffering.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-20-2009 at 11:10 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The reason the owners wanted to put it down? They wanted to get some OTHER dog(!). The vet refused to euthanize it said they'd find it a good home -- the vet had often taken care of the dog in the owners' absence, so they knew it was an excellent dog.

As long as there are irresponsible people, there will be dog (and cat) overpopulation and suffering.
Yeah, no kidding. It's unthinkable how someone can just say, "ya know...I don't want this...so I'm just gonna let it loose so someone will hopefully take it (or more likely, end up getting hit by a car or die from starvation/thirst/heat/exhaustion), kill it, or order it to be euthanized.

Ugh...makes me sick.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:55 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
I have somewhat of a dilemma...

On Thursday, I was approached by a very thirsty, yet very friendly dog in my front yard (Wake Crossroads). It was wearing a collar, but no name and no microchip. I fed it, and just let it run loose in my backyard. I'm an animal lover, so I took it to the vet to make sure it was ok. And the dog checks out fine...the vet thinks it's 1 - 3 years old, border collie mix. I put up some signs all over my neighborhood...posted a "found dog" on Craigslist...and reported a found dog to the SPCA and animal shelter. Yet, no one has claimed to own this dog so far, 48 hours later. Frankly, if my dog is gone...I'm checking EVERYWHERE...shelters, SPCA, signs...so now I'm starting to think it's an abandoned animal (judging by the weight of the dog...this might be accurate).

I really cannot keep this thing much longer since I'm headed to out of town tomorrow. Plus, I've already got my hands full with another dog...that is well, noticeably upset that another dog is in it's "territory".

If I call Animal Control...would I know where the dog is headed? Do they go to the SPCA or the Wake Animal Shelter? In all likelihood, it doesn't appear that any one will claim it...so, I'm guessing they would eventually put the dog down? That, of course, affects me (psychologically, since I'm the one that puts the call into Animal Control and starts the process of termination). It's amazing, because it would be so much easier if this dog was violent or unfriendly because I'd probably have no problem calling it in (of course, I'd probably be getting rabies treatments right about now). This dog is very puppy-like...always wants to play, seems somewhat trained (though does like to jump until I say "down", which it seems to understand).

Does anyone know the process these strays go through?

Oh and a related note...if you buy a dog...make sure it's got a microchip. This has been a frustrating few days.
I don't know the answer to your question exactly, but from this thread it sounds like if you call animal control that the dog will go to the Wake County Animal Shelter, and that it MAY go to the SPCA IF they have space.

I would contact the SPCA directly and see what they suggest. They have found pet suggestions here (contact number is at the bottom of the page):
SPCA of Wake County: Found Pets - What to Do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary