Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 AM

67 posts, read 62,922 times

Advertisements

After constant safety emails from my employer, I finally purchased a weather radio. I have been programming it this morning while posting. The thing is wild. Did you know you can program it to only give you certain alerts right down to a section of your particular county. You can pick and choose multiple sections of multiple counties to provide you with warnings. I have programmed mine to warn me of tornadoes and straight line winds from the west and hurricanes from the east. I figured that is what will most likely happen on our area. Now the radio will only come on when I need it and not constantly warn me of stuff I do not care about in other counties.

How do you have yours programmed for this area? Has it ever come in handy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 10:39 AM

338 posts, read 1,619,839 times
I'm not sure how mine is programmed as it was a struggle to get there. I know it's only programed for my section of Wake County but past that not sure. I must say the most annoying thing is when it goes off in the middle of the night for a flood watch. UGH. I don't think mine is so nice that I can program it for only certain alerts. Maybe time for an upgrade.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:45 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Where did you get your weather radio? I need to get one and am not sure where the best place is to go to find one.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:28 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Good selection of NOAA Weather Alert "All Hazards" Radios at Amazon. Be sure the one you select has the S.A.M.E. feature to limit the alerts for your county and battery backup for power outages.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:17 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Flash Flood Warning for Northern Wake County.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:47 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
I got mine programmed for Wake County, I did not know I could get down to a specific area of Wake County or a specific weather event.....more reading for me!

I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods they were selling them for $24.95 one day I was in there. It has gene off several times now, bit getting use to when the alert goes off. I tried the tone and now have it set to voice alert.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:49 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
I got mine programmed for Wake County, I did not know I could get down to a specific area of Wake County or a specific weather event.....more reading for me!

I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods they were selling them for $24.95 one day I was in there. It has gene off several times now, bit getting use to when the alert goes off. I tried the tone and now have it set to voice alert.
North Carolina S.A.M.E. Programming Codes

NWR North Carolina County Coverage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary